SocialJustice
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://nycfirewire.com/fdny-drops-ph...e-hiring-rate/

Wonderful news for equality and women!

Some quotes to indicate the previous sexism at the New York Fire Department:

Nigro revealed the adjustments to the exam at a City Council hearing Wednesday where members questioned whether the skills test was responsible for the 10,500-member force including just 44 women.
Department officials insisted the two issues were unrelated and that the changes hadn’t impacted anyone in the academy class that graduated last month. While 95 percent of men pass the FDNY’s demanding physical test, only 57 percent of women manage to get through.
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do not agree with this. Physical standards should be kept high in that profession, peoples lives are at stake and so the best possible people are needed. If some women can pass the high standards that's great let them on, but don't lower the standards JUST to allow more women. If they can't do the job people's lives will be put in danger.
Skip_Snip
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So it's a good thing that people's lives may be endangered because less capable people have been hired to save them?
caravaggio2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'll just leave this here.

A Female Firefighter in Action: http://youtu.be/ERwzqvs7vvU
miscounted_time
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by caravaggio2)
I'll just leave this here.

A Female Firefighter in Action: http://youtu.be/ERwzqvs7vvU
Pretty stupid thing to post tbh.
Just because she's **** at taking a run at things doesn't mean all women are equally as ****, infact even the article says 57% of female candidates pass the SAME test as men. Plus most doors aren't loaded to spring back upwards.

In saying that however, I completely disagree with the decision. I believe the original standards exist for a reason and if you can't make the cut then tough regardless of whether you are male or female.

Posted from TSR Mobile
caravaggio2
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
[QUOTE=miscounted_time;52238707]Pretty stupid thing to post tbh.
Just because she's **** at taking a run at things doesn't mean all women are equally as ****, infact even the article says 57% of female candidates pass the SAME test as men. Plus most doors aren't loaded to spring back upwards.
In saying that however, I completely disagree with the decision. I believe the original standards exist for a reason and if you can't make the cut then tough regardless of whether you are male or female.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE

Pretty stupid? Really?
Where did I say that all womem are equally as crap as her. I posted it as an example of what happens when they lower the standards. Youre right, most doors they come across arent spring loaded, they are locked and bolted. There will be women that can do it but pressure on the authorities to get the numbers up mean they inevitably lower the standards.
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ugh, lowering important fitness standards and potentially putting people's lives at risk due to pressure from more 'social justice' morons. It isn't sexist to require that firefighters are actually able to perform heavy lifting, especially in dangerous situations.

I'll say it again: this user (OP) is almost too stereotypically idiotic to be for real. I'm getting stronger and stronger whiffs of troll.
lou_100
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I just think the best people for the job should be in the job, regardless of gender.
zippity.doodah
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lou_100)
I just think the best people for the job should be in the job, regardless of gender.
^yeah, I agree with this completely. appointing someone on the basis of their gender is sexist, no matter who it favours. it'll also, likely, cause irrationality from within if the person is qualified by gender and not by their skill
but either way, if a woman can actually do the tasks she's required to perform as a firefighter, then that's fair enough, I just don't think many women at all will actually sign up to do it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (57)
67.06%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.18%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed