TSR Game of the Year Awards: Q4 Voting! (Win a free game) Watch

Poll: What was your favourite game from the last three months?
Alien: Isolation (5)
17.24%
Assassin's Creed Unity (0)
0%
Bayonetta 2 (0)
0%
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (4)
13.79%
Civilization: Beyond Earth (2)
6.9%
Dragon Age: Inquisition (7)
24.14%
Far Cry 4 (2)
6.9%
Legend of Grimrock II (0)
0%
LittleBigPlanet 3 (2)
6.9%
NBA 2K15 (0)
0%
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (0)
0%
Pro Evolution Soccer 2015 (0)
0%
Skylanders: Trap Team (0)
0%
Sunset Overdrive (0)
0%
Super Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U (6)
20.69%
Tales from the Borderlands: Episode One- Zer0 Sum (1)
3.45%
This discussion is closed.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Wrapping up the quarterly votes, here we have the games released from October to December! As always, the top three highest scoring games will head straight into the finale, while the next four games will enter the Second Chance round to be held next week.

Also, in an exciting bit of news, the good folks at TSR HQ have decided they're going to give away a game to one lucky user, who will get a choice of any game they like from the 16 finalists :teeth: all posts made in any Game of the Year (with a few basic restrictions, no dupe accounts, spamming etc) thread will count towards entry, and the winner will be chosen at random then contacted to pick their game (age ratings permitting).

So, who are you hoping to see representing Q4 in the final? Get posting below! As always, here's a brief rundown on the quarter's nominations, with brief summaries from metacritic and Giant Bomb.

Q4 Nominations
Alien: Isolation (PC, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

Alien: Isolation is a first-person survival horror game which captures the fear and tension evoked by Ridley Scott’s 1979 classic film. Players find themselves in an atmosphere of constant dread and mortal danger as an unpredictable, ruthless Xenomorph is stalking and killing deep in the shadows.
Assassin's Creed Unity (PC, Playstation 4, Xbox One)

The Assassin's Creed series heads to Paris, France, amid the French Revolution. The player controls Arno Dorian, an assassin, as he attempts to disrupt and destroy the true powers behind the Revolution.
Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)

In this climatic sequel to the critically acclaimed Bayonetta action game, players will be on the edge of their seats from start to finish. Brimming with epic, gorgeous cut scenes and battles that are more exhilarating than ever, this game never lets up on the action.
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PC, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

The eleventh installment of the Call of Duty franchise brings modern military thirty years into the future, as new technology makes a certain Private Military Corporation the dominant military force of the world.
Civilization: Beyond Earth (PC)

Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth sends players on an expedition from Earth to lead their people into a new frontier to explore and colonize an alien planet, and create a new civilization.
Dragon Age: Inquisition (PC, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

Dragon Age: Inquisition is the third installment in the Dragon Age series of role-playing games developed by BioWare. Select and lead a group of characters into harrowing battles against a myriad of enemies – from earth-shattering High Dragons to demonic forces from the otherworld of the Fade.
Far Cry 4 (PC, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

Far Cry 4 puts the player in the mind of Ajay Ghale and pits him against a deadly antagonist and an even deadlier environment. Caught in the middle of a brutal Civil War while fulfilling his mother's dying wish, Ghale must fight back against the oppression of Kyrat's leader, Pagan Min, while also battling the ruthlessness of the jungle.
Legend of Grimrock II (PC)

Legend of Grimrock 2 is a dungeon crawling RPG with a modern execution but an old-school heart. A gaggle of 4 prisoners have shipwrecked on the secluded Isle of Nex. The island is chock full of ancient crumbled ruins, mysterious shrines and a vast underground network of dungeons.
LittleBigPlanet 3 (Playstation 3, Playstation 4

In LittleBigPlanet 3, explore a world riddled with creativity as you explore all areas of the Imagisphere, accost the inhabitants of the mysterious planet Bunkum and confront the nefarious Newton. Meet a variety of surprises that the LittleBigPlanet Community have created and shared for you to enjoy, with new levels and games to play every day
NBA 2K15 (PC, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

NBA 2K15 features approximately 5,000 new animations, new defensive AI, shooting systems, new team-specific play sets, and more control over rebounding, steals, and blocks. New game broadcast presentation hosted by Ernie Johnson and Shaq O'Neal delivers commentary and analysis to the action.
Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (Nintendo 3DS)

Persona Q is the inaugural Persona game for 3DS. The game takes the characters from Persona 3 and Persona 4, puts them into an all new adventure. The game is in the style of Etrian Odyssey, where teams of five will navigate dungeons in a first-person view.
Pro Evolution Soccer 2015 (PC, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

aster a renewed array of dribbling techniques and use your speed, runs and responsive sprints to outdo your opponents. Accost defenders using each player’s dribbling skills, as opposed to relying on gimmick moves. Gamers now have full control over when to close down, tackle, or hold up play.
Skylanders: Trap Team (3DS, Android iOS, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Xbox 360, Xbox One)

Kaos has blown up the walls of the feared Cloudcracker Prison freeing the most notorious villains in Skylands. It’s up to you and the Skylanders to find and capture them. Using Traptanium, a magic material that can harness the power of the Elements, you have the amazing ability to trap the villains and return them to Skylands to fight for you!
Sunset Overdrive (Xbox One)

The latest energy drink, OverCharge Delirium XT, has turned Sunset City into an energy drink-fueled mutant apocalypse and it is up to you to survive in Insomniac Games' Xbox One exclusive.
Super Smash Bros (3DS and Wii U)

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U is the first cross-platform iteration of the franchise, and features connectivity functionalities between the two versions of the game. Return to a world of exciting battles with Super Smash Bros. as you fight your way through a host of fan-favorite opponents. Make your way through memorable stages inspired by the most notorious classic Nintendo games.
Tales from the Borderlands: Episode One- Zer0 Sum

Set following the events seen in Borderlands 2, Tales from the Borderlands focuses on Rhys, a Hyperion company man who wants to become the next Handsome Jack, and it’s also about Fiona, a Pandoran con artist intending to score the biggest of all swindles. Baited into danger by a Vault key and all it promises, the unlikely pair are thrown together with a common purpose and a great amount of mistrust.
Mushi_master
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This poll just shows how ridiculously good Q4 was this year - verrrrry tough decision for me between Alien: Isolation, Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2 and Dragon Age.
BobLoblawLawBlog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No Pokemon? Or does it count as a remake?
Mushi_master
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by brittanna)
No Pokemon?
'Tis a remake - they're not included in this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BobLoblawLawBlog
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mushi_master)
'Tis a remake - they're not included in this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah. I'd have thought there was enough new content to allow it to count. But oh well.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To be honest, none of the games from Q4 I've played have really been stand out games, and strangely for somebody who has a habit of hating on CoD (not to say I don't like it), I seem to be leaning towards CoD this year, it was quite a strong game to say that last year I would say that the franchise is practically dead and only has so many years left in it.

Unity was just rushed and broken (way to many problems, for one it's made me restart from a good length in because, for some reason, if I OC my GPU Unity, and only unity, causes drivers to crash and one such crash when really pushing the GPU completely wiped out the computer and corrupted the save, since then the cloud save is just broken), although perhaps shows some promise when they actually fix it, hopefully monday's patch will work

FC4, while pretty good, just somehow seemed lacking, and the ending seemed very weak to me. While I would recommend the game I would much more highly recommend FC3. The northen region just seemed barren and dead, and while that may be the intention they still could have made it a lot better. Add in that when you get to the north the game is basically over and suddenly it's worryingly short.

While I've heard good things of others I haven't heard anything particularly outstanding, very much "more of the same"
Kovu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It was close for me between Far Cry and Dragon Age but I went with Dragon Age - I'm 40 hours in and still feel like I've barely scratched the surface.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by brittanna)
No Pokemon? Or does it count as a remake?
Unfortunately we had to be very ruthless with deciding whether or not remakes/re-releases were allowed this year, given that there were probably more of them released in 2014 than any other year since the last generation of consoles first came out. Given that space in the polls was limited and there were a lot of games all vying for the places, especially in Q4 which sees most of the year's major releases, it was decided not to allow them at all for this year in the main quarter polls :nope:

However if you check out the discussion thread, you'll see there's a poll for users to vote on whether or not there should be a round dedicated to the best remakes, re-releases and expansion packs of the year, which Pokemon would definitely qualify for :yep: in the case of the users voting in favour of this idea, the poll would run next week alongside the Second Chance poll and the top two from each categories would make it into the final, so you can vote there and potentially see ORAS make it all the way :yep:
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is very, very difficult, but went with Alien: Isolation. Runner ups being Far Cry 4 and Advanced Warfare, followed by Unity.
Mushi_master
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Arkasia)
It is very, very difficult, but went with Alien: Isolation. Runner ups being Far Cry 4 and Advanced Warfare, followed by Unity.
Ended up going with Isolation myself, but a very close call. Such a unique and atmospheric game, and I was always much more of an Alien rather than an Aliens kind of guy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Arkasia
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mushi_master)
Ended up going with Isolation myself, but a very close call. Such a unique and atmospheric game, and I was always much more of an Alien rather than an Aliens kind of guy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly, I figured this vote out by saying to myself "Which game out of this and Advanced Warfare would I more want to play", and Isolation won. Still, the game is not without it's flaws, e.g. no jumping, but hey, nothing is perfect!
Illusionary
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, Far Cry 4's getting my vote for now, though there's a good selection of potential contenders in there! I can see Smash Brothers taking the win from this round, though...
Illusionary
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kovu)
It was close for me between Far Cry and Dragon Age but I went with Dragon Age - I'm 40 hours in and still feel like I've barely scratched the surface.
One of the many that I need to find proper time for at some point soon-ish :o: I've put perhaps a couple of hours into the game so far, but being out of the country for three weeks of December does somewhat limit that!
Kovu
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Illusionary)
One of the many that I need to find proper time for at some point soon-ish :o: I've put perhaps a couple of hours into the game so far, but being out of the country for three weeks of December does somewhat limit that!
Trust me, you won't regret it. You might lose a bit of your social life though - and I'm not being held responsible for it.
Illusionary
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kovu)
Trust me, you won't regret it. You might lose a bit of your social life though - and I'm not being held responsible for it.
Oh, I very much realise that The game has a fair amount of competition for my time, though :ahee: I've been focusing on Far Cry 4 primarily so far, as it's a more manageable prospect - and one that I'm less likely to have forgotten key elements of when I get back to the UK!
Kovu
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Illusionary)
Oh, I very much realise that The game has a fair amount of competition for my time, though :ahee: I've been focusing on Far Cry 4 primarily so far, as it's a more manageable prospect - and one that I'm less likely to have forgotten key elements of when I get back to the UK!
I'm enjoying Far Cry 4 but I'm off travelling shortly and as much as it's a game, it does make me ever so slightly ​edgy
Zaphod77
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Got to be Super Smash Bros for me - I'm a Nintendo fangirl
Illusionary
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kovu)
I'm enjoying Far Cry 4 but I'm off travelling shortly and as much as it's a game, it does make me ever so slightly ​edgy
Why so? Oh, and enjoy the trip - even if it does part you from the games!

(Original post by Zaphod77)
I'd expect that you'll be far from alone in that - no reason at all for embarrassment. :nah:
Kovu
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zaphod77)
Nothing to be embarrassed about at all. I go to Streetpass Meets so I can't say anything
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Interesting how when you make a free game in it and suddenly people actually come along, comment and vote
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1373)
79.55%
Leave (353)
20.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed