jessybean
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I don't often post here, but could do with a few opinions. Over the last 4 weeks or so, I have suddenly started having what I think are panic attacks. I have palpitations and then feel as if I can't breathe in enough air, and start breathing really fast. I go shaky, especially my left leg, and feel faint. I always feel too warm, no matter how cool the room is and have been told that my face turns red and feels very warm to touch. I feel upset during these but cannot understand why, or what I'm upset by. Sometimes my chest hurts or I feel sick, though I have never actually been sick. When they are at their worst, I feel almost paralysed, like its a lot of effort to move or talk and I also feel sleepy, which generally lasts for the rest of the day. They seem to start off quite mild and build up, it doesn't come over me all of a sudden if that makes sense? Sometimes I can control my breathing, which doesn't stop it, but I can tolerate and cope with it. Other times the breathing technique doesn't work and I get more worked up and have to leave whatever I am doing.

Has anybody else had these and been confirmed as panic attacks? I don't always feel anxious or worried about anything before they occur so I can't understand why it's happening, and why they are so frequent. I usually get one each day, sometimes more than once, occasionally I won't get one. I'm worried that it will affect my ability to study and complete my degree, which involves a lot of placement within primary schools. I am generally quite a bubbly, happy person, but this is becoming a problem for me.

They happen at different times, in different situations, with different people. Sometimes it will happen in lectures, other times in the middle of the night on my own. A doctor gave me 10mg propranolol to take twice a day. I only started taking these on Wednesday and they haven't kicked in yet. Anybody else ever had this, and can tell me a bit more about it? Also, how can I stop them? Paper bag idea just doesn't sit well, and deep breathing exercise doesn't always help me control my breathing, I just can't do it. I know I'm over breathing, but I can't stop it.

Anything anyone can tell me will be much appreciated! I don't like to speak to my mum about this, as she brushes it off and tells me to get a grip, so I haven't told her about the tablets either, and I don't really have anyone to talk to about it aside from a few friends who know and my personal tutor at uni. I briefly spoke to a counsellor at uni who has referred me for CBT but it will be late January at the earliest before anything happens about that. I need it sorting because I have a block placement in a school coming up in January!

Posted from TSR Mobile
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-...c-attacks.aspx

Also, think about whether those "lol tablets" actually help you out
ChelseyElla
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jessybean)
I don't often post here, but could do with a few opinions. Over the last 4 weeks or so, I have suddenly started having what I think are panic attacks. I have palpitations and then feel as if I can't breathe in enough air, and start breathing really fast. I go shaky, especially my left leg, and feel faint. I always feel too warm, no matter how cool the room is and have been told that my face turns red and feels very warm to touch. I feel upset during these but cannot understand why, or what I'm upset by. Sometimes my chest hurts or I feel sick, though I have never actually been sick. When they are at their worst, I feel almost paralysed, like its a lot of effort to move or talk and I also feel sleepy, which generally lasts for the rest of the day. They seem to start off quite mild and build up, it doesn't come over me all of a sudden if that makes sense? Sometimes I can control my breathing, which doesn't stop it, but I can tolerate and cope with it. Other times the breathing technique doesn't work and I get more worked up and have to leave whatever I am doing.

Has anybody else had these and been confirmed as panic attacks? I don't always feel anxious or worried about anything before they occur so I can't understand why it's happening, and why they are so frequent. I usually get one each day, sometimes more than once, occasionally I won't get one. I'm worried that it will affect my ability to study and complete my degree, which involves a lot of placement within primary schools. I am generally quite a bubbly, happy person, but this is becoming a problem for me.

They happen at different times, in different situations, with different people. Sometimes it will happen in lectures, other times in the middle of the night on my own. A doctor gave me 10mg propranolol to take twice a day. I only started taking these on Wednesday and they haven't kicked in yet. Anybody else ever had this, and can tell me a bit more about it? Also, how can I stop them? Paper bag idea just doesn't sit well, and deep breathing exercise doesn't always help me control my breathing, I just can't do it. I know I'm over breathing, but I can't stop it.

Anything anyone can tell me will be much appreciated! I don't like to speak to my mum about this, as she brushes it off and tells me to get a grip, so I haven't told her about the tablets either, and I don't really have anyone to talk to about it aside from a few friends who know and my personal tutor at uni. I briefly spoke to a counsellor at uni who has referred me for CBT but it will be late January at the earliest before anything happens about that. I need it sorting because I have a block placement in a school coming up in January!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you sure that is exactly what the doctor said for propanalol? Remember I'm not an expert and you should do what your GP says but I suffered from panic attacks for a long time and was given propanalol to take when I could feel a panic attack coming on as it slows your heart rate. I don't really see what taking it twice a day would do if you're not having a panic attack at that time (unless you have another condition/potential condition). Please don't stop what your GP told you but maybe confirm that is right?

Re-reading it seems like your GP might think its something other than panic attacks. especially as one can go on for several days. The only person who can really help is your GP so keep an eye on things, communicate and make sure you understand anything they say to you
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
one thing that can perpetuate panic attacks is people starting to confuse normal bodily responses for panic and then you essentially have a panic attack about having a panic attack and the more you have the more you are 'on guard' for the next one

- make sure you're eating healthily and adequately
- get regular exercise
- don't drink alcohol/caffeine or smoke
- practice breathing exercises/meditation - the more you do them the more you will gain control over your breathing
- don't assume you're having a panic attack and be aware that you may do so
- if you start panicking try and distract yourself
plasmaman
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jessybean)

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be honest 10mg is a pretty small dose. Also is this propranolol a slow-release version?
506rl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It sounds like panic attakcs to me. Whenever I have had panic attacks, I feel faint, almost detatched, and a sudden dread/fear overcomes me and I seem to notice every single sensation in my chest (which makes it worse because I feel a heartbeat and I assume that I'm having a heart attack)... panic attacks are different to lots of people, though.

For me, no psychiatrist has told me to take medication (so I'm sorry but I don't know about the medication you are taking) and instead I waited a few months for CBT (I think it was worth the wait - just make sure to contact them after a while to make sure you're still going to get it and they haven't forgotten about you) and learnt to calm myself down and be able to tell myself that I am not having a heart attack, that it's just anxiety and/or panic. I try to notice that the panic is building up before it reaches that "peak" (you talked about how it starts off mild and gets worse right?). For me, breathing deeply made it worse because it pumps lots of oxygen to your brain which can make you feel more faint and hence make the panic worse (for me at least). I try (with difficulty) to jut breathe normally and focus on firstly telling myself that nothing bad is happening to me, and then trying to distract myself. I might then go drink some water or do some stretches when I am starting to calm down. That usually works for me after 10-20 minutes

I hope I helped at least a little bit.
Wimbs
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In my early twenties I went through a period of about 2 years when I had panic attacks. For me, it was the fear of being 'out of control' and passing out, even though I never actually passed out! I would interpret any increase in heart rate as an imminent sign of a heart attack and it got to the point where, although I held it together well during my PGCE and first part of my teaching career (as I think my mind was too busy with that) in my own time and space I would get fearful to the point where I was working out the distance to the nearest hospital 'just in case' (I actually only called an ambulance once, I walked into a shopping centre and the sudden rise in humidity/heat due to the sun on the glass set me off and I literally started shaking etc and had to be carried out by friends.)

Very occasionally I still get them now (say waiting in an airport queue, normally when I feel under intense scrutiny) but knowing they were panic attacks, you can 'tell yourself' to calm down and although it sounds mad, I actually told myself 'if I die I die, we all die at some point; which actually helped!

They are nasty and I hope you learn to live with them or better avoid them!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.65%
No - I have already returned home (20)
12.66%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
20.89%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.86%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.95%

Watched Threads