benandjerry
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Does anyone know what those brackets with dashes through them above the peaks mean?
Also, there are what looks like 7 peaks. How is this possible? The molecule is a hydrocarbon. I do not want to know what the structure is, just shine some light on the above questions. Thanks.
Attached files
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by benandjerry)
Does anyone know what those brackets with dashes through them above the peaks mean?
Also, there are what looks like 7 peaks. How is this possible? The molecule is a hydrocarbon. I do not want to know what the structure is, just shine some light on the above questions. Thanks.
It looks like they are the coupling constants ...
TheBlueBiro
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ok I'm also learning this now so I might be wrong but just bare with me, I might be of some help.
This is High Resolution proton NMR (HR-NMR) because it contains clusters of peaks and not defined peaks. From what I understand each cluster of peaks shows the number of protons on the adjacent Carbon atom.
The number of peaks - 1= The number of protons on adjacent Carbon atom(s).
You have 2 clusters
A triplet between 1-2ppm
And a Quintet between 4-5ppm (if I remember your picture right)
The triplet shows the adjacent C contains 2H's. Because 3-1=2.
Similarly, the quintet shows the adjacent C(s) contain 4H's. The position on the chemical shifts will show the carbon environment and the number of clusters show the number of different C environments.

I'm guessing the small arrows between the peaks show the distance in chemical shift or something but idk.
Posted from TSR Mobile
username913907
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

(Original post by charco)
Looks like the J's to me too.
benandjerry
Rep:
?
why do you think this?
charco
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
why do you think this?
It's to show that the two signals are splitting each other. They all have the same value.
benandjerry
Rep:
?
It's to show that the two signals are splitting each other. They all have the same value.
Okay so each area of splitting on the nmr table has been produced by 2 different proton environments each that have split eachothers signals?
charco
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay so each area of splitting on the nmr table has been produced by 2 different proton environments each that have split eachothers signals?
Correct

The triplet is caused by being adjacent to a CH2 group while the quintet would be caused by being adjacent to two equivalent CH2 groups (or four equivalent CH groups).

This does not give an simple hydrocarbon. (It would be much simpler if it were a triplet and a quartet).

However the shift of the quintet suggests that it is adjacent to an electronegative unit (not possible in a hydrocarbon I know)

It also looks like the integral is written underneath suggesting that there are three times as many hydrogen atoms in the triplet than in the quartet (quintet).
benandjerry
Rep:
?
Correct

The triplet is caused by being adjacent to a CH2 group while the quintet is caused by being adjacent to two equivalent CH2 groups (or four equivalent CH groups).

This does not give an simple hydrocarbon. (It would be much simpler if it were a triplet and a quartet).

However the shift of the quintet suggests that it is adjacent to an electronegative unit (not possible in a hydrocarbon I know)
Okay thanks for the help. Also, the molecule has some C=C bonds(the molecular formula is c5h8). How much of a difference does this make to splitting?
Edit: I think I've got it. Would this work?

CH2CHCH2CHCH2

The red Hs split eachothers signal to give quintet.
Blue H couples with the other blue H to give triplet.
What do you think?

actually no that wont work as there are meant to be 6Hs that are R-CH hydrogens. Dont worry
charco
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay thanks for the help. Also, the molecule has some C=C bonds(the molecular formula is c5h8). How much of a difference does this make to splitting?
Would have been helpful to know in the first place ...

This is starting to look like a quintet and triplet in a alicyclic molecule.

I suggest that it is cyclopentene, with the two vinyllic protons either hidden or off the scale.
benandjerry
Rep:
?
Would have been helpful to know in the first place ...

This is starting to look like a quintet and triplet in a alicyclic molecule.

I suggest that it is cyclopentene, with the two vinyllic protons either hidden or off the scale.
Sorry...
What do you mean by hidden or off the scale? Just that it doesnt produce splitting?
You'll have to bare with me because I am currently only an A level student.

I can see how there could be coupling between one vinylic proton and 2H 2 carbons down so that would give a triplet. However, how does the quintet arise?
charco
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry...
What do you mean by hidden or off the scale? Just that it doesnt produce splitting?
You'll have to bare with me because I am currently only an A level student.

I can see how there could be coupling between one vinylic proton and 2H 2 carbons down so that would give a triplet. However, how does the quintet arise?
The quintet arises from the CH2 in between two equivalent CH2 groups (this makes four equivalent protons)

The triplet is due to the two equivalent CH2 groups being split by the intermediate CH2 .

There is little coupling between the vinylic protons and the protons in the CH2 groups.

The vinylic protons themselves probably appear off the scale shown by the spectrum, i.e. above ppm delta 6.

No need for any apologies - it is not an easy question.
TheBlueBiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OP is this question from a past exam paper? If so, which exam board? I'm currently taking A2 OCR Chemistry A and have a test on this NMR stuff soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
benandjerry
Rep:
?
The quintet arises from the CH2 in between two equivalent CH2 groups (this makes four equivalent protons)

The triplet is due to the two equivalent CH2 groups being split by the intermediate CH2 .

There is little coupling between the vinylic protons and the protons in the CH2 groups.

The vinylic protons themselves probably appear off the scale shown by the spectrum, i.e. above ppm delta 6.

Okay thanks for the help!
benandjerry
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheBlueBiro)
OP is this question from a past exam paper? If so, which exam board? I'm currently taking A2 OCR Chemistry A and have a test on this NMR stuff soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No it isn't a PP question we wont get stuff like this in the exam dw
TheBlueBiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No it isn't a PP question we wont get stuff like this in the exam dw
Phew! Haha I was starting to panic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
benandjerry
Rep:
?

wait, is there any reason why this (3-methylbutan-1,2-diene) couldn't fit the bill?
Also I think that from looking in my text book the nmr is intended to be septet even though I did pass the tiny peaks off as not relevant at first.
It's C5H8
Has 6H atoms in proton environment of R-CH
Has 2H atoms in proton environment of C=CH (though I'm not fully sure the blue Hs are in the same proton environment)
I've tried to indicate the splitting in this picture-
Attached files
charco
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
wait, is there any reason why this (3-methylbutan-1,2-diene) couldn't fit the bill?
Also I think that from looking in my text book the nmr is intended to be septet even though I did pass the tiny peaks off as not relevant at first.
It's C5H8
Has 6H atoms in proton environment of R-CH
Has 2H atoms in proton environment of C=CH (though I'm not fully sure the blue Hs are in the same proton environment)
I've tried to indicate the splitting in this picture-
3-methylbutan-1,2-diene has two CH3 groups attached to a carbon without protons - there would be no splitting. You would get two singlets.
TheBlueBiro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I hope you don't mind me asking questions here OP but I'm really struggling with a past paper question regarding and dunno how to start a new thread.

The spectrum only has 3 peaks and the molecular formula is C5H10O2 (an ester) but there are no integration values. Any help on how I'd work those out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
charco
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TheBlueBiro)
I hope you don't mind me asking questions here OP but I'm really struggling with a past paper question regarding and dunno how to start a new thread.

The spectrum only has 3 peaks and the molecular formula is C5H10O2 (an ester) but there are no integration values. Any help on how I'd work those out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
More information needed. The number of peaks (splitting pattern) and the chemical shifts at least.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.82%
No (501)
66.18%

Watched Threads