Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Who here can get three concordant titration results every time.
    i can never do this. My results are always about 0.6cm^3 apart.

just wondering if there is anyone else with this problem and whether there are actually any ways to master the whole process other than continuous practice.

I'll thank everyone in advance who replies to this post.

ReputationRep:
    Lol aww I remember the days...I get concordancy each time I titrate, its just a technical skill that requires practice. What I do is this...titrate roughly (i.e. opening and closing the burette tap slowly, letting large volumes out )until you hit the endpoint..you will obviously be very over, but you know how much you roughly need.

Then titrate again, just open the tap up until it comes within say 5cm3 of the value that you got before, to begin with. Then titrate slowly, say 3 drops at a time, swirl, go back to dropping 3, swirl..then 2 drops, then 1 drops etc till you hit the endpoint. Make sure you wash any drops with distilled water. Then you have a preetty accurate titre to get concordancy with the other 2. Open the tap on titration 3, until you get to say 3cm3 of your previous endpoint and repeat.

ReputationRep:
    yer there were times when i couldnt either so i made it up and no one found out, you should do the same

ReputationRep:
    ^^^

Well, that won't really work in assesments...your mass of solid or liquid volume will be entered into a formula based onto a model titration done by your teacher and it will give a value for your ideal titre. So if you do that, your ****ed!

ReputationRep:
    lol, thanks for the advice. The biggest difference is usually between the first value and the rest.

I think it might be the fact that i had not dried out my flask enough before adding the alkaline again, resulting in a more diluted mixture

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that difference is to be expected...as I said the first titre is always a rough one. It won't make a difference whether you dry out the flask before readding the alkaline, as long as it is washed with distilled water...you will still be adding the same number of moles of alkaline ;p

It only makes a difference if you use a wet volumetric flask.

ReputationRep:
    Does not matter now.

I made sure I cleaned out the flask properly with distilled water this time, and used methyl orangeas indicator instead of universal indicator.

I got three concordant results this time

25.75, 25.80, 25.80, 25.80

Thanks for the tips again, f debelder

ReputationRep:
    Titrations are my love now hehe, used to hate them.

Methyl orange? Ugh, I hated using that stuff, as we were given it in our examined practical without having used it before ever, and without any sort of guidance on the level of colour change we were aiming for. I ended up getting it sort of in the salmony pinkish range then titrating all my other ones to match.

MUCH easier to use phenol phthalein

ReputationRep:
    I got three concordant results this time
    Good stuff! Yeah, used methyl orange of phenolphthalein not UI, not sensitive enough

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.