The Student Room Group

Unsymmetrical face?

I'm sure there has already been a thread on this, but I can't find it so here goes.

When I look in the mirror I look normal. My face isn't perfectly the same on both sides but but it looks pretty normal for any human being.

In some photos though (not all) but particularly on webcam my face looks REALLY uneven. Just completely different on both sides. I know this sounds vain and silly and stupid etc etc but it's really been getting me down. Does my face really look so wonky or is it just the way I see it. When I asked my mom she genuinely didn't think so and got angry after a while and told me to grow up and stop being so self-obsessed. Nothings ever been said by anybody else about so I just have no idea what to think.

Any explanations/experiences/help as to whether I'm just a fugly lop-sided fool or see myself wrong?
Reply 1
I really, really doubt there's a problem if nobody else has said anything and you look fine in the mirror.

If we scrutinise every aspect of our physicalities, then of course inevitably we will be able to perceive some imperfections. Imperfection is the nature of being human.

To use myself as an example, the right side of my back (my lat) is slightly wider than my left side. I know it is, but nobody else is going to notice it, and it's hardly a prevalent feature, so why worry about it? I imagine it's exactly the same for your face.
Reply 2
one of my eyelids droops slightly lower than the other. i had never noticed, no one had ever said anything, until one day when i was about 15 this man i'd just met said 'did you know one of your eyelids droops lower than the other?'.

Now it's all i ever see when i look at myself.

asymmetry really gets me down :frown:
If you had a symmetrical face, you'd look like a doll. Quite prosthetic.

Don't worry about it.
Reply 4

*sigh* i'd love to look like a doll
Anonymous
I'm sure there has already been a thread on this, but I can't find it so here goes.

When I look in the mirror I look normal. My face isn't perfectly the same on both sides but but it looks pretty normal for any human being.

In some photos though (not all) but particularly on webcam my face looks REALLY uneven. Just completely different on both sides. I know this sounds vain and silly and stupid etc etc but it's really been getting me down. Does my face really look so wonky or is it just the way I see it. When I asked my mom she genuinely didn't think so and got angry after a while and told me to grow up and stop being so self-obsessed. Nothings ever been said by anybody else about so I just have no idea what to think.

Any explanations/experiences/help as to whether I'm just a fugly lop-sided fool or see myself wrong?

I have an unsymetrical face, primarily because my jaw is longated due to my teeth . It is quite rank, but not that noticable depending on my style (i.e. hair etc). The problem I have as a result of this are photographs; because it becomes very noticable when I have a static photo.

The way I have learnt to deal with it is to work on your strengths , rather then your weaknesses (i.e. in this case unsymetrical face), such as your style, buld etc.
Reply 6
Very few people actually have symmetrical faces, you know. Seriously, try taking a photo of yourself straight on, then cutting one half out on the computer and mirroring the other half. It looks seriously weird.

Or just hold a mirror in the middle of your nose. Seriously, it doesn't look right.
Reply 7
Squelchy
Very few people actually have symmetrical faces, you know. Seriously, try taking a photo of yourself straight on, then cutting one half out on the computer and mirroring the other half. It looks seriously weird.

Or just hold a mirror in the middle of your nose. Seriously, it doesn't look right.
I agree.
I once did something like that and although it was me...it wasn't :hmmm:
Reply 8
grace
one of my eyelids droops slightly lower than the other. i had never noticed, no one had ever said anything, until one day when i was about 15 this man i'd just met said 'did you know one of your eyelids droops lower than the other?'.

Now it's all i ever see when i look at myself.

asymmetry really gets me down :frown:

I noticed easily on your profile picture :eek: ...but after reading your post :p: . You're still quite hot though, don't worry :cool: .
Reply 9
xelprep
I noticed easily on your profile picture :eek: ...but after reading your post :p: . You're still quite hot though, don't worry :cool: .

well you can't really see both my eyes straight on in my profile pic so can't really see my eyelids that well but hey, apparently it's more noticable than even i liked to think, so cheers for that :p::frown:
Your mum is right, you DO need to grow up and stop being so self obsessed and vain. Looks really aren't that important unless you're aiming to be the next Kate Moss, and most people have flaws, it's normal. You notice them on yourself more than other people do. Obsessing about things like this will just make you paranoid and unhappy.

I can't believe people point out people's flaws to them though - must be very tactless and insecure/shallow people! If someone did that to me, I'd tell em where to go and pick out one of their flaws to comment on. How rude!
Reply 11
grace
well you can't really see both my eyes straight on in my profile pic so can't really see my eyelids that well but hey, apparently it's more noticable than even i liked to think, so cheers for that :p::frown:

No really, you can see the right eyelid covering your iris more than on the left eye. Or so it seems :smile: . Just make sure you wear sunglasses all the time! :cool: (joke) :p:
Reply 12
xelprep
No really, you can see the right eyelid covering your iris more than on the left eye. Or so it seems :smile: . Just make sure you wear sunglasses all the time! :cool: (joke) :p:

i have a side fringe that i wear on the right side to try and detract from it, and trust me i wear sunnies whenever i can to try and hide it.
The word is asymetrical.
One of my eyes is slightly higher than the other but it's not too obvious because I wear glasses. I think most people have something asymmetrical about their face and the vast majority of people wouldn't point it out. It's not too much of a big deal I don't think.
Could you post a pic? It could be fuss over nothing.
Reply 16
grace
i have a side fringe that i wear on the right side to try and detract from it, and trust me i wear sunnies whenever i can to try and hide it.

you are HOOOTT! dont let something so small (which i couldnt even see in the pic) get you down. :smile:
I have the expect same problem! When I look in the mirror my face is normal but then on photos and using iPhone camera why is face is wonky. One is is lower than the other and one cheek is wider.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending