Mutleybm1996
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I thought I would include this in the maths forum as i may get some quicker responses(due to the physics/maths crossovers): I was wondering if someone could help me with this?

The light gates used had a resolution of 1 microsecond(I was using two to time the time for a ball to fall 10cm). However the datalogger they were connected to displayed the times to 0.001s. So, would my results be +/-1ms or +/-1micro second?

Thank you Image
TeeEm
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mutleybm1996)
I thought I would include this in the maths forum as i may get some quicker responses(due to the physics/maths crossovers): I was wondering if someone could help me with this?

The light gates used had a resolution of 1 microsecond(I was using two to time the time for a ball to fall 10cm). However the datalogger they were connected to displayed the times to 0.001s. So, would my results be +/-1ms or +/-1micro second?

Thank you Image
i heard people here also talking about the physics forum (different website)
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
i heard people here also talking about the physics forum (different website)
\pm 1ms because you only have the data to 0.001s
This is maybe a little far from maths to ask on the maths forum. For this kind of question(uncertainties etc.), it is probably better to ask in physics
Mutleybm1996
Rep:
?
(Original post by morgan8002)
\pm 1ms because you only have the data to 0.001s
This is maybe a little far from maths to ask on the maths forum. For this kind of question(uncertainties etc.), it is probably better to ask in physics
One final question if possible?

If they were placed further apart, the time they displayed would become more accurate, correct?
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
One final question if possible?

If they were placed further apart, the time they displayed would become more accurate, correct?
Yes, the uncertainty will be the same, but the interval is increase, so the uncertainty is smaller relative to the measured interval. For example, if you measured over a time interval twice as big and then divided by two to get the reading you want, the uncertainty will be reduced to plus or minus 0.5ms. I hope I explained it well enough.
Mutleybm1996
Rep:
?
(Original post by morgan8002)
Yes, the uncertainty will be the same, but the interval is increase, so the uncertainty is smaller relative to the measured interval. For example, if you measured over a time interval twice as big and then divided by two to get the reading you want, the uncertainty will be reduced to plus or minus 0.5ms. I hope I explained it well enough.
My Physics teacher, who will be marking it, said that it would be +/-0.0005s instead of +/-0.001s due to the time taken for the ball to travel between the two(ranged from about 0.015 to about 0.324)seconds being so small. :/

Any advice?
Chittesh14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Mutleybm1996
Rep:
?
My Physics teacher, who will be marking it, said that it would be +/-0.0005s instead of +/-0.001s due to the time taken for the ball to travel between the two(ranged from about 0.015 to about 0.324)seconds being so small. :/

Any advice?

*bump*
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Any advice?

*bump*
This shouldn't change the uncertainty as the equipment still has the same limits.
Remember you need to measure both the start and end times.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.05%
I'm not sure (3)
2.33%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (42)
32.56%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (59)
45.74%

Watched Threads