Wealthy countries should pay for cutting carbon emissions Watch

Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Climate talks in Lima ran into extra time amid rising frustration from developing countries at the “ridiculously low” commitments from rich countries to help pay for cuts in greenhouse gas emissions.

The talks – originally scheduled to wrap up at 12pm after 10 days – are now expected to run well into Saturday , as negotiators huddle over a new draft text many glimpsed for the first time only morning.

The Lima negotiations began on a buoyant note after the US, China and the EU came forward with new commitments to cut carbon pollution. But they were soon brought back down to earth over the perennial divide between rich and poor countries in the negotiations: how should countries share the burden for cutting greenhouse gas emissions, and who should pay?

Read more here

Discuss: Who should pay for carbon/emissions reductions?
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is the wealthy countries doing the research into green energy production. Once green energy productivity matches the productivity from the more traditional methods the secret can be shared with poorer countries. All new energy production in poorer countries can then be green energy. I do not see why the rich countries should pay for the burden of green energy. I can understand the rich paying into research or the effects but I cannot understand the rich needing to pay for emissions reductions in poorer countries.
McRite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Botswana

NICs and MEDCs heavily contributed to global warming and only made primitive methods of power generation available for us poor countries. Most poor nations can barely manage to stay afloat, how can rich nations expect us to pay for overly priced green energy providing very little power.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by McRite)
Botswana

NZ:

NICs and MEDCs heavily contributed to global warming and only made primitive methods of power generation available for us poor countries. Most poor nations can barely manage to stay afloat, how can rich nations expect us to pay for overly priced green energy providing very little power.
It is the growing economies in the world producing most pollution. As people become richer in China and India they will start demanding things the developed world takes for granted. Whether it be ovens, internet, lighting, air conditioning, heating, or TV's, all require energy to power them. The energy needed cannot be met by current green technology.

The MEDCs are already investing into developing green technology. Where is the justification in paying for green power generation in LEDCs? Provided the energy in MEDCs is green energy, the energy produced in the developed countries is not the responsibility of MEDCs
Saracen's Fez
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Australia is sceptical of the need for these cuts and will absolutely not fund other countries to cut their emissions.
McRite
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
It is the growing economies in the world producing most pollution. As people become richer in China and India they will start demanding things the developed world takes for granted. Whether it be ovens, internet, lighting, air conditioning, heating, or TV's, all require energy to power them. The energy needed cannot be met by current green technology.

The MEDCs are already investing into developing green technology. Where is the justification in paying for green power generation in LEDCs?Provided the energy in MEDCs is green energy, the energy produced in the developed countries is not the responsibility of MEDCs
I did mention NICs (Newly industrialized Countries), were also a major contributor to carbon emissions.

My point is that if MEDCs expect us LEDCs to cut carbon emissions they must at least assist in implementing renewable sources of energy etc. We acknowledge you mention developing green technology, but how long is it going to be before they reach an acceptable price that we can afford without asking for large IMF loans?
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Belgium supports research and development of carbon reducing technologies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (162)
18.62%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (86)
9.89%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (145)
16.67%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (125)
14.37%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (84)
9.66%
How can I be the best version of myself? (268)
30.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise