Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how much cheaper the student oyster is compared to the standard oyster? As far as I can see, it's only cheaper if you buy a season ticket (which I probably won't even need to do) which would make it a complete waste of money!

ReputationRep:
    I've just got mine.

It means I can get a one week travelcard for £10

ReputationRep:
    you get like 30% of the adult rate

ReputationRep:
    But it only mentions season tinkets, not normal travel cards/bus journeys.

ReputationRep:
    I think you can only get the student discount if you get weekly/monthly/annual travel cards. So if you only travel once or twice a week, or only go into central at the weekend, the normal oyster card will be better I think.

ReputationRep:
    That is so stupid! Why can't we have free travel like all the school kids (up to sixth form) do!?

ReputationRep:
    Heh I'm in college and I don't get it either its dumb that once you hit 18 you have to use the adult student travelcard despite being at college.

And yeah the other person is right, anything a week long or above is 30%ish cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    i know i just use normal adult oyster card as it is cheaper for me to pay the fare on each travel basis as i don't travel daily as most of times my dad drops me on his way to work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoveMusic)
    I've just got mine.

It means I can get a one week travelcard for £10
    for £10?! HOW!? what zones are you in? it costs me £26 or so a week for a zones 1, 2 and 3 travelcard... how are you getting £16 off? i didn't realise the student discount was that much.

ReputationRep:
    Student Oyster is not always cheaper as explained by my article here:
    http://thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oyster_card

Work it out. Students even have to pay for the privilege of having a student Oyster, then only for it to be really worthy for pre-pay activities. Travel-card is a negligible pricing strategy that has no benefits at all to students.

Links are also given at the bottom of the page so you can check your sums

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    Student Oyster is not always cheaper as explained by my article here:
    http://thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Oyster_card

Work it out. Students even have to pay for the privilege of having a student Oyster, then only for it to be really worthy for pre-pay activities. Travel-card is a negligible pricing strategy that has no benefits at all to students.

Links are also given at the bottom of the page so you can check your sums
    the only thing that i see wrong with that article is that most student will not be living in zone 6, and travelling to zone 1. zone 6 is very very outer london (kent, essex, real suburbia), and most students would probably only live a zone or 2 away from university! for example, a student at king's may live in halls in camberwell (zone 2), a student at goldsmith's might live in new cross (zone 2) or a student at UCL might live in halls in town near UCL, in, i don't know, bloomsbury (zone 1). don't you think? also, if you had actually bought a zone 1-6 travelcard wouldn't you try and get the most use out of it that you could?

ReputationRep:
    Walshie, in your article it says it would cost £6.30 to get from zone 6 to zone 1 during off-peak. But I often travel from zone 6 to zone 1 (using tube) and it costs me £3.50 with oyster, or £4 without. Where did £6.30 come from?

Edit: Oh is it for all day? Ok, nevermind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notsoperfect)
    the only thing that i see wrong with that article is that most student will not be living in zone 6, and travelling to zone 1. zone 6 is very very outer london (kent, essex, real suburbia), and most students would probably only live a zone or 2 away from university! for example, a student at king's may live in halls in camberwell (zone 2), a student at goldsmith's might live in new cross (zone 2) or a student at UCL might live in halls in town near UCL, in, i don't know, bloomsbury (zone 1). don't you think? also, if you had actually bought a zone 1-6 travelcard wouldn't you try and get the most use out of it that you could?
    Zone 6 can still be London. Where I live, NW7 is in Zone 4/5/6. You are forgetting the make up of London, with Wembley in Middlesex (not strictly) in Zone 3-4 with Barking / Ilford both in Essex but very far in to London. Barnet in Zone 5 & 6 is a London Borough. I can assure that many students live in Zone 6 and beyond commuting into London (probably more so than from 1&2). You're forgetting that many students who apply for London universities (like me) live in London and the suburbs.

edit: also, you're forgetting that students who live on cxampus or in halls, don't need to purchase a card, as their at uni anyway, and they'd be losing hand over fist.

Any student living in Zone 5, also has to purchase a zone 6, which is mandatory.

Whether or not this is the case, is not the point. The article is informing you of a simple summation that is presenting an Oyster card, which is not all what it's cracked up to be. I could also do sums for zones 1-4 or even 1-2, but I used 1-6 as I believe most students come from Zones 5/6/a/b/c/d and outer. Look at Brunel for example, isn't that in Zone 6?

if you had actually bought a zone 1-6 travelcard wouldn't you try and get the most use out of it that you could?
    Why would you? You travel when you want to travel, not because you've paid x amount on a card, and therefore you must try and utilise the card as much as possible to get your monies worth. I'm not sure you're getting the point.

(Original post by JJassonn)
    Walshie, in your article it says it would cost £6.30 to get from zone 6 to zone 1 during off-peak. But I often travel from zone 6 to zone 1 (using tube) and it costs me £3.50 with oyster, or £4 without. Where did £6.30 come from?

Edit: Oh is it for all day? Ok, nevermind.
    Yep - its an all day travelcard.

ReputationRep:
    Zone 6 can still be London. Where I live, NW7 is in Zone 4/5/6. You are forgetting the make up of London, with Wembley in Middlesex (not strictly) in Zone 3-4 with Barking / Ilford both in Essex but very far in to London. Barnet in Zone 5 & 6 is a London Borough. I can assure that many students live in Zone 6 and beyond commuting into London (probably more so than from 1&2). You're forgetting that many students who apply for London universities (like me) live in London and the suburbs.

edit: also, you're forgetting that students who live on cxampus or in halls, don't need to purchase a card, as their at uni anyway, and they'd be losing hand over fist.

Any student living in Zone 5, also has to purchase a zone 6, which is mandatory.

Whether or not this is the case, is not the point. The article is informing you of a simple summation that is presenting an Oyster card, which is not all what it's cracked up to be. I could also do sums for zones 1-4 or even 1-2, but I used 1-6 as I believe most students come from Zones 5/6/a/b/c/d and outer. Look at Brunel for example, isn't that in Zone 6?

Why would you? You travel when you want to travel, not because you've paid x amount on a card, and therefore you must try and utilise the card as much as possible to get your monies worth. I'm not sure you're getting the point.

Yep - its an all day travelcard.
    if you were at brunel in zone 6, most likely you'd already live in zone 6., especially if you were in halls? therefore you wouldn't need to purchase a zones 1-6 travelcard.

where did you get the idea that most students come from Zones 5/6/a/b/c/d and outer? the main universities (UCL, King's, QMUL, Goldsmiths) are all in zones 1 or 2, and most students that i know live in halls close by or in student houses in cheap areas such as south london in zone 2.

and when you say, "Why would you? You travel when you want to travel, not because you've paid x amount on a card, and therefore you must try and utilise the card as much as possible to get your monies worth" - well, i would. i find it really nice actually having a travelcard, and when i have one i use it as much as possible. especially, as a student in london, you'd probably have a very active social life and use the travelcard as much as possible, especially if you'd shelled out £25 for it or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notsoperfect)
    if you were at brunel in zone 6, most likely you'd already live in zone 6., especially if you were in halls? therefore you wouldn't need to purchase a zones 1-6 travelcard.

where did you get the idea that most students come from Zones 5/6/a/b/c/d and outer? the main universities (UCL, King's, QMUL, Goldsmiths) are all in zones 1 or 2, and most students that i know live in halls close by or in student houses in cheap areas such as south london in zone 2.
    You completely missed the point!
    If people are already living in Zone 1 & 2, why would they purchase a Student Oyster card?! If people are living in halls in Campus at QM, why would they purchase a student oyster?
    If people who reside in halls in W1 who attend all UoL colleges (apart from RH), purchase a student oyster, seeing as they are walking distance, or just a simple bus ride from their university?

and when you say, "Why would you? You travel when you want to travel, not because you've paid x amount on a card, and therefore you must try and utilise the card as much as possible to get your monies worth" - well, i would. i find it really nice actually having a travelcard, and when i have one i use it as much as possible. especially, as a student in london, you'd probably have a very active social life and use the travelcard as much as possible, especially if you'd shelled out £25 for it or whatever.
    But not every one does, as like me, I have a car, which I prefer to use at all costs than the awful tube and train network. We don't all try to squeeze out our monies worth from everything you know
    The point here being, that the student oyster does not benefit students as much as they say it does. Do we get it now?

ReputationRep:
    i live in zone 2 and of course would still have a student oyster card if i could (i'm on a gap year right now so can't qualify for discount !!) - i need to go into zone 1 a lot and just to get about in zone 2 - i believe it's about £15 a week with the discount which i actually think is quite reasoble for unlimited travel (especially when it costs me £3 return on the overground just to get to london bridge).

i do get what you're saying, though! hopefully i won't have to live in zone 6, ever :rolleyes:

You completely missed the point!
    If people are already living in Zone 1 & 2, why would they purchase a Student Oyster card?! If people are living in halls in Campus at QM, why would they purchase a student oyster?
    If people who reside in halls in W1 who attend all UoL colleges (apart from RH), purchase a student oyster, seeing as they are walking distance, or just a simple bus ride from their university?

But not every one does, as like me, I have a car, which I prefer to use at all costs than the awful tube and train network. We don't all try to squeeze out our monies worth from everything you know
    The point here being, that the student oyster does not benefit students as much as they say it does. Do we get it now?

ReputationRep:
    I just feel conned as the student oyster has actually cost me money to get, and isn't saving me ANYTHING!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 29, 2006
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.