Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    explaining why there were differences in the abiotic factors measured and species diversity.

We measured species in a pond and lake.

The ph in the pond was 5.6, whereas the PH in the lake was 5.4
    The oxygen percent was 7 (low) in the pond wheras it was 8(high) in the lake.

The diversity was high in the pond and low in the lake. so can anyone answer my question?

ReputationRep:
    come on guys someone help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malfoy)
    explaining why there were differences in the abiotic factors measured and species diversity.

We measured species in a pond and lake.

The ph in the pond was 5.6, whereas the PH in the lake was 5.4
    The oxygen percent was 7 (low) in the pond wheras it was 8(high) in the lake.

The diversity was high in the pond and low in the lake. so can anyone answer my question?
    Well there's not a such a big difference between there being 7 or 8% of oxygen in the water is there so they can't really be opposite extremes of low or high. The pH in the lake is more acidic despite there being one percent more oxygen in there. The things that you have to consider are the biotic indices of the creatures found in both habitats, the temperature of the water, the quantity of dissolved carbon dioxide in the water too, the vegetation in and surrounding each habitat, how the terrain fares around each one, the geology of both habitats and the land use/management in which they are located.

Not to be forgotten are a few other factors: the reliability and accuracy of your data collection and data obtained. Also measuring species diversity is a statistical test- Simpson's test so remember that for this you need quantitative values to substitute into your equation to determine the numerical outcome.

Does that help?

ReputationRep:
    kind of but why are there differences in the abiotic factors between the 2 areas and why are there more species in one than the other. thanks for coming to my rescue elements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malfoy)
    kind of but why are there differences in the abiotic factors between the 2 areas and why are there more species in one than the other. thanks for coming to my rescue elements
    Before I answer this, are the pH and the oxygen content of the water, the only 2 abiotics factors that you noted down?

ReputationRep:
    erm i have more hang on

conductivity was 16 in the pond and 6.2 in the lake.
    Temperature in the pond was 13.5 at the surface and 13.1 depper whereas in the lake it was 16.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 15, 2006

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.