Defensive Footballers are way to underrated - Agree? Watch

muffingg
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I was having this debate with someone at work about how I strongly believe that defensive footballers don't get the credit they deserve. Simply looking at the Ballon d'or winners, there has only ever been Fabio Cannavaro who won it as a defender.

This year Manuel Neuer has been absolutely sensational. No doubt, Ronaldo and Messi also have, but Neuer has shown a completely new way of being a goalkeeper and won the World Cup, conceded only 3 goals in the current season, and has had a number of world class saves throughout the year.

Yet there is no way he will win it because it's all about the hype of scoring goals that Messi and Ronaldo can. Similar to how Franck Ribery was so much better than Messi + Ronaldo when it came to defensive situations, dribbling, assists, passing accuracy, and he won the CL last year, but he still only came 3rd because he didn't score as many goals.

So, it's all about scoring goals and defensive players are never given the credit they deserve. Agree or Disagree?
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So what is this new way that Neuer has shown of being a goalkeeper? Because the sweeper GK has been around for decades, just that Neuer takes it a little more extreme.

Neuer's goalkeeping record isn't just down to him - his defence stop a lot and even the way the attacking side of the team press and retain the ball means he's less exposed.

A great defensive player - can contribute to stopping a team from losing
A great offensive player - can be the sole reason for winning

That is why offensive players will always get more credit.
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For me, Neuer has been the second best player in the world this year, Messi has been alright but has struggled with injuries / inconsistent form, especially in the spring. Ronaldo though has been incredible, especially this season where he has outscored 3/4 of the teams in La Liga by himself.
53SecondsToGo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As an amazing DM player myself I agree, I won loads of games from my effort but nobody ever gave a ****. Attackers are ****ing pricks.
jam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mojojojo101)
For me, Neuer has been the second best player in the world this year, Messi has been alright but has struggled with injuries / inconsistent form, especially in the spring. Ronaldo though has been incredible, especially this season where he has outscored 3/4 of the teams in La Liga by himself.
Lol at that excuse when Messi is still scoring a goal a game and Ronaldo has had 11 penalties so far this season which pads his stats up to a ridiculous level.

There is not as much difference between the level of the two players(hence Messi getting the golden ball) but Ronaldo clearly plays in a better team. Only time where there was a complete disparity between the level of the two players was Messi in 2012 besides that they've been fairly equal. Barcelona have had one penalty this season if they had 11 like Real Madrid have had Messi would be on the same level goal wise as Ronaldo.
al_94
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Defenders and Goalkeepers should never win the Ballon D'or. There's a reason why the forwards get paid more and have higher transfer fees. They have more impact on the game. Ask any football fan would they rather have Messi, Ronaldo or Neuer in their team. All these football hipsters want Neuer to win but when you think about it he doesn't deserve it.
IceJJFish(II)
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Matic for Balon D'or.

Posted from TSR Mobile
stirkee
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by IceJJFish(II))
Matic for Balon D'or.

Posted from TSR Mobile
^^
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by al_94)
Defenders and Goalkeepers should never win the Ballon D'or. There's a reason why the forwards get paid more and have higher transfer fees. They have more impact on the game. Ask any football fan would they rather have Messi, Ronaldo or Neuer in their team. All these football hipsters want Neuer to win but when you think about it he doesn't deserve it.
Football doesn't work like that.

Poor argument all round even though I agree that Neuer shouldn't be seen as the top dog. This is just being a good player in the best team. So if Argentina won the world cup would the people have just blindly given the award to Messi? Would Neuer have even been 3rd place in fact or would they have given it to Diego Costa or something?
al_94
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jam277)
Football doesn't work like that.

Poor argument all round even though I agree that Neuer shouldn't be seen as the top dog. This is just being a good player in the best team. So if Argentina won the world cup would the people have just blindly given the award to Messi? Would Neuer have even been 3rd place in fact or would they have given it to Diego Costa or something?
I believe Messi should win the award due to the poor performance of Ronaldo in the WC. Neuer is a GK so he can never Ballon D'or imo. There are many players better than him that are more important and have a bigger impact on the game.
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by al_94)
I believe Messi should win the award due to the poor performance of Ronaldo in the WC. Neuer is a GK so he can never Ballon D'or imo. There are many players better than him that are more important and have a bigger impact on the game.
In my opinion they should make an award based on defenders. Only time a defender should be considered is if they contribute directly to goals, have good natural ability on their feet while being a great all round defender. Goalkeepers well we're talking a guy who concedes like 2 goals in a tournament and 15 goals max in their league to be considered.

Germans tend to never really have this amazing forward or midfield who has abundance of technique just efficient players so they rarely have a guy like a Maradona, a Neymar, a Zidane or even a Totti, they have Mullers, Lahms, Ballacks or Beckenbauers. It's in their DNA and Neuer is just the new guy these hipsters have gone for.
IceJJFish(II)
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If Atléti won the league and CL double Costa would've most likely won it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (36)
24.66%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (51)
34.93%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (25)
17.12%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (11)
7.53%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (23)
15.75%

Watched Threads