The Student Room Group

Alcoholic students

Are there many students who would class themselves as an alcoholic with all that entails? Do you have any strategies for reducing alcohol or getting coursework/revising done?

I am not particularly interested in people saying alcoholics are weak, just stop drinking etc. whch isn't helpful.

Edit: Can a moderator move this to mental health please
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm assuming from this post you are an alcoholic or think you may be and are looking for how to deal with it at university? Sorry it was just a bit unclear.
Reply 2
Original post by SophieSmall
I'm assuming from this post you are an alcoholic or think you may be and are looking for how to deal with it at university? Sorry it was just a bit unclear.

I am, and I am wondering how to attend lectures and takes information in from lectures if you have a drink problem
Original post by JamesManc
I am, and I am wondering how to attend lectures and takes information in from lectures if you have a drink problem

Have you by any chance joined an alcoholics anonymous group? you can get a sponsor who can help you tackle the addiction and support you.
Reply 4
Have you by any chance joined an alcoholics anonymous group? you can get a sponsor who can help you tackle the addiction and support you.

Sponsor? I would go to an AA group if you mean that but I feel I am too young and it would be socially embarrassing
Sponsor? I would go to an AA group if you mean that but I feel I am too young and it would be socially embarrassing

Yes (though it may vary per group). You basically get another person who you can talk to about your addiction and who you can call if you ever feel like you're going to slip and drink.

No one at AA is going to judge you, they are all there for the same problem so there is no need to feel socially embarrassed. You also need to think, what is worse, Feeling a little embarrassed or falling off the wagon and drinking yourself to death?
Reply 6
Yes (though it may vary per group). You basically get another person who you can talk to about your addiction and who you can call if you ever feel like you're going to slip and drink.

No one at AA is going to judge you, they are all there for the same problem so there is no need to feel socially embarrassed. You also need to think, what is worse, Feeling a little embarrassed or falling off the wagon and drinking yourself to death?

Thanks, yes I think I m going to go to AA
Thanks, yes I think I m going to go to AA

Glad to hear, good luck

Quick Reply

Latest