The Student Room Group

Is an English degree the right choice?

I want to write, and am looking for a course with a substantial amount of writing, but not necessarily creative writing and literature stuff. Though I see that's what English degrees are about.

I'm looking to write for communication rather than for imagination. Can an English degree still be the right choice or do I have to look elsewhere?
Original post by Nadir Gamer
I want to write, and am looking for a course with a substantial amount of writing, but not necessarily creative writing and literature stuff. Though I see that's what English degrees are about.

I'm looking to write for communication rather than for imagination. Can an English degree still be the right choice or do I have to look elsewhere?

English Language?
Reply 2
If you're asking whether I'm talking about English language degrees, yes of course.
Original post by Nadir Gamer

Communication would be English Language or Journalism. English Language would be your better option perhaps. Or a joint honours in English and Journalism.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Communication would be English Language or Journalism. English Language would be your better option perhaps. Or a joint honours in English and Journalism.

I have been told by an actual journalist that the best way to get into journalism or writing is to study something that interests you then do a post-grad on journalism/writing.

If you are a creative writing, why not look at an English degree with Creative Writing as a module. Or if you just like writing, do a subject that interests you joint with English. (P.S. English Literature is better, because you explore a lot of genres and narrative devices that might aid your writing style)
Original post by MCSpeilberg
I have been told by an actual journalist that the best way to get into journalism or writing is to study something that interests you then do a post-grad on journalism/writing.

If you are a creative writing, why not look at an English degree with Creative Writing as a module. Or if you just like writing, do a subject that interests you joint with English. (P.S. English Literature is better, because you explore a lot of genres and narrative devices that might aid your writing style)

Erm, I think you quoted the wrong person aha! I'm already at university hun! But you are correct though!
Reply 6
Thank you for your answers. I actually found a course called English language and communication studies. and it seems to be just what I want!

Quick Reply

Latest