The Student Room Group

Bought my girlfriend gym membership and now she won't go?

It was my girlfriend's birthday last week and I go her a gym membership (I've been trying to get her to lose some weight) she said thanks and seemed happy for me to get it for her (it cost like 200 pounds, and we are students). But she hasn't used it at all! I've said she can come to the gym with me but I can never get her to come.

I got a little drunk on a night out with her last night and I brought It up we had another argument and things are getting strained.

Scroll to see replies

Did she/does she ever actually want to go to the gym, or are you just forcing it on her?
Reply 2
It's a good gesture on your part but it's only been a week. Takes people a while sometimes to get into the rhythm of going to gym.
She might have taken it as you don't like how she looks and want her to change and girls are sensitive so gotta be delicate with that that's probably why you guys end up arguing.
I'm assuming u guys have been together a while cause that's a lot of money to put up.
Hope this helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'm surprised she didn't dump you on the spot...
Reply 4
LAD
Reply 5
Original post by Kovu
I'm surprised she didn't dump you on the spot...

:ditto: "trying to make her lose weight":lolwut:
Reply 6
I'm surprised she wasn't offended by the gift unless she has stated herself that she wanted a gym membership.
What an ungrateful girl, did you also get her an appointment to get some facial reconstructive surgery?
(edited 9 years ago)
If someone bought me a gym membership I probably wouldn't use it.
Wow...I'm surprised she's still with you. "Trying to make her lose some weight". If she has a healthy BMI then it's you with the problem, not her. If not, then I guess it was an OK gesture but you could be a bit more gentle around the subject, she probably feels as though you don't like her body and want to change her, so I'm not surprised she hasn't been yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Its never a good idea to try to change people, people have to want to change for themselves. I am surprised she is still with you.
Well, that's just rude. Unless of course she's hinted that she's interested in joining.
Yeah the buying of a gym membership is a bit insensitive. You can't make someone lose weight to fit your ideal.
A week? Give her a chance! :smile:
Original post by redeleven
It was my girlfriend's birthday last week and I go her a gym membership (I've been trying to get her to lose some weight) she said thanks and seemed happy for me to get it for her (it cost like 200 pounds, and we are students). But she hasn't used it at all! I've said she can come to the gym with me but I can never get her to come.

I got a little drunk on a night out with her last night and I brought It up we had another argument and things are getting strained.

I'll let you in on a little secret gem of common sense

You can't make anyone lose weight.
They have to wholeheartedly want to do it for themselves and no one else and they have to be in the right mindset to do so. You pressuring and nagging her is not going to help neither will setting ultimatums. If anything, it will make her more resistant and resentful.

If she doesn't want to lose weight for herself, she isn't going to do it for you, no matter what you try, so stop pressuring her.

If you genuinely care for her and want to be with her long term, just drop the subject.
If her weight matters more to you than anything else about this relationship, leave her for both your sakes.

You need to learn and accept that you can't change anything about anyone else. You can only change your attitude and reaction to it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Wrong choice of gift. You can't buy someone a gym membership, force them to go and then get upset when they don't go. It's not her fault.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FasterThanFTL
Wrong choice of gift. You can't buy someone a gym membership, force them to go and then get upset when they don't go. It's not her fault.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He would have been better off buying her a voucher for a spa session (massage, etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by redeleven

learn from your mistake and don't do it again I hope this opens your eyes serves up as a big wake up call:wink:
She said thanks because she was being polite about it.
Lol spending 200 quid on a GF was stupid

It will come back to bite you in the ass when she dumps you for pushing her to go gym

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending