Tj789
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
In my book it says "movement of water in a root is an active process." In some aspects I agree with it, but the only explanation is its indirect active transport because the endodermis uses active transport to get minerals into the xylem and its because of that the water potential is lowered that water comes in. So is my book right in saying its an active process or is it more accurate to say its an indirect active process??
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tj789)
In my book it says "movement of water in a root is an active process." In some aspects I agree with it, but the only explanation is its indirect active transport because the endodermis uses active transport to get minerals into the xylem and its because of that the water potential is lowered that water comes in. So is my book right in saying its an active process or is it more accurate to say its an indirect active process??
The actual mechanism of movement of water if via osmosis, but one of the reasons that plants actively transport so many ions is to increase their uptake of water, so in a way it is indirect active transport. I guess it depends on how detailed the question is(if it's more detailed you can give an explanation), but I don't think you will drop marks on the distinction between active transport and indirect active transport.
Tj789
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by morgan8002)
The actual mechanism of movement of water if via osmosis, but one of the reasons that plants actively transport so many ions is to increase their uptake of water, so in a way it is indirect active transport. I guess it depends on how detailed the question is(if it's more detailed you can give an explanation), but I don't think you will drop marks on the distinction between active transport and indirect active transport.
Oh ok tanx!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.74%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.35%
No (110)
27.09%
I'm not sure (52)
12.81%

Watched Threads