The Student Room Group

My friend just texted me 'I think you're giving me a cold mate lol', what the

The only relevant interpretations I can think of this are:

a) I am stressing him out [figurative interpretation]

b) I had a cold and passed it onto him [literal interpretation]

Bit cheeky to text this I feel, but what about you?

Scroll to see replies

Atchoo!
>You've given him a cold
>He's joking
>Not cheeky
>Just a joke
>No h8 pls
Within the context of the friendship he has been counselling me an awful lot lately so I am inclined to say a), it's still cheeky though considering he also managed to say yesterday the above, 'wow you looked fat in high school, I forgot' and 'you can't set up a PS3, how can you be so ******ed'

This is my best friend btw
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
The only relevant interpretations I can think of this are:

a) I am stressing him out [figurative interpretation]

b) I had a cold and passed it onto him [literal interpretation]

Bit cheeky to text this I feel, but what about you?

He was just having a friendly dig.
Long time.

OP, your friend likes you.
Original post by Anonynous
Long time.

OP, your friend likes you.

so my friend is gay now?
I'm fairly sure that I could not interpret that in any negative way at all, but I'll at least give it a go.

It's obvious that he hates you and is trying to get as far away from you as possible, since he's saying that you have given him an infectious disease so he will probably start to avoid you while saying that you're potentially infectious. This avoidance will escalate until eventually he moves away to the north pole to live with polar bears and surf the ice waves.

Disclaimer:This is untrue and is based off unsound inference.
so my friend is gay now?

Yh
Since we last spoke, you don't know who I am, :lol:

Nevermind then.
Original post by Darthmixalot
I'm fairly sure that I could not interpret that in any negative way at all, but I'll at least give it a go.

It's obvious that he hates you and is trying to get as far away from you as possible, since he's saying that you have given him an infectious disease so he will probably start to avoid you while saying that you're potentially infectious. This avoidance will escalate until eventually he moves away to the north pole to live with polar bears and surf the ice waves.

Disclaimer:This is untrue and is based off unsound inference.

a wee extreme but when people add 'lol' to the end of light jokes it usually means it's not funny/they'\re not trying to be funny, they're just being polite and trying to end some awkwardness between them, i.e. I have perhaps done something recently to create some tension?

he also said yesterday that the way I respond to people atm doesn't come across as 'natural' but rather 'mechanical' like I'm trying to guess what the 'right' thing to say is or read their mind...
I remember saying something to a friend on Facebook 5 years ago. :redface: Or rather, he said he wasn't working today because he wasn't feeling too well and I said I think you gave me what you've got and he just apologised.

I think I then passed it on to someone else. oops!

You're reading too much into this and should just apologise and that should be it.
Original post by OU Student
I remember saying something to a friend on Facebook 5 years ago. :redface: Or rather, he said he wasn't working today because he wasn't feeling too well and I said I think you gave me what you've got and he just apologised.

I think I then passed it on to someone else. oops!

You're reading too much into this and should just apologise and that should be it.

Probably am reading too much into it…but what do I have to apologise for? I didn't have a cold until last night, after I'd seen him.
My username is anonynous. It matters not. We cannot change the direction of the wind, but we can adjust our sails accordingly.
You're hugely over analysing this. You had/have a cold. He's getting ill, due to spending time with you. I can't see why it'd be anything other than that.
Probably am reading too much into it…but what do I have to apologise for? I didn't have a cold until last night, after I'd seen him.

You are reading too much into this. He thinks (right or wrong) that it was you who gave him the cold.

In my case, I knew it was him. He did say just after he'd turned up that he did have a cold. I was fine until I'd woken up the next day. The only other people I'd been in contact with were hallmates and I'm sure they were (of the ones I saw) all fine.

Just leave it. You're making far too much of a big deal about this.
It's Abdul-Karim
What your friend is trying to tell you is that you are responsible for him contracting rhinopharyngitis. In his eyes, you are to blame for him contracting this viral infectious disease that is currently causing him great discomfort in his upper respiratory tract. Any symptoms that arise from this illness are also your fault so if you see him coughing you are also responsible.
Original post by Pseudocode
What your friend is trying to tell you is that you are responsible for him contracting rhinopharyngitis. In his eyes, you are to blame for him contracting this viral infectious disease that is currently causing him great discomfort in his upper respiratory tract. Any symptoms that arise from this illness are also your fault so if you see him coughing you are also responsible.

but am I actually to blame, rather than the virus-filled environment?
but am I actually to blame, rather than the virus-filled environment?

Whether we believe you are to blame or you are actually to blame matters not as your friend clearly deems you responsible for the circumstances he now finds himself in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending