The Student Room Group

A level options

Hello, was wondering if you guys could help me with picking my a levels?
At the moment I've gone for
Geography
Economics
English lit
Maths

Could I have some pros and cons of each? And I'm worried about maths being too hard! Has anyone done any of these subjects ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

I am too in the same situation and I have picked Economics, English Lang/Lit, ICT and Media Studies. Economics is a good choice and I am doing it for GCSEs, so I am certain that it's going to be great, but does involve some maths. Geography is also a sensible choice and if you are good at it and passionate for it, then certainly choose it :smile: Maths - lots of people have been telling me that it's hard and complicated, so I haven't picked it and since I am good at English, I picked that. It's your choice whether you want to do Maths or not; if you enjoy it and are exceptionally good it then, then go ahead and pick it! English Literature is also a very popular choice, although it entirely focuses on literary texts which is why I chose English Lang and Lit (combined) to give me a greater balance, but I would still recommend you picking it.

I wanted to ask you are you doing AQA GCSE English Literature? If so, if you have done your mock, can you tell me which poems came up or are likely to come up in the 'Character and voice' section - it will be a great help for me :smile:
Original post by yaknow
Geography
Economics
English lit
Maths

Could I have some pros and cons of each? And I'm worried about maths being too hard! Has anyone done any of these subjects ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths is probably the toughest but most rewarding A level. I think anything less thsn a B at gcse and you will struggle. But after lots of practice you will be fine, you will breeze through c1 papers. English lit i am told has lots of essay writing and the rest i dont know about. By the way what do you want to do when you're older
Reply 3
Unfortunately I haven't, however I am doing aqa and have a language mock tomorrow
Thanks for your help :smile: really appreciate it
I'm also worried about English being too hard, like atm you need 90% for an A*!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I'm not really sure tbh, previously law but now I'm considering just doing a degree in a subject I like for instance geography or English, then maybe become a teacher? I'm open to anything atm really
I'm doing 2 maths GCSE's and the one I did in year 10 I got a B in and now I'm predicted an A
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Due to the a level reforms only geography and maths will have as exams for me, which means I'll have to drop one of these, so I think I'll drop maths unless I really like it or become good at it, but I doubt that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yaknow
Due to the a level reforms only geography and maths will have as exams for me, which means I'll have to drop one of these, so I think I'll drop maths unless I really like it or become good at it, but I doubt that

Posted from TSR Mobile

From your subjects i would say look in to economics or finance very rewarding financialy. Or if you like your geography and maths have you considered geophysics
Reply 7
I haven't really considered those fields, if you don't mind me asking what are you hoping to do?
I'm ambitious but I don't thrive to do anything competitive. I'm thinking nicher following the crowd doesn't usually tend to get you anywhere from my experience

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yaknow
I haven't really considered those fields, if you don't mind me asking what are you hoping to do?
I'm ambitious but I don't thrive to do anything competitive. I'm thinking nicher following the crowd doesn't usually tend to get you anywhere from my experience
Posted from TSR Mobile

I plan on doing chemical engineering and maybe going on to do something in mechanical engineering or physics post grad
Reply 9
That's cool, I hear the pay is brillaint

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="yaknow;52241733"]That's cool, I hear the pay is brillaint

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE

Yes it is, they have to do difficult things so get rewarded alot
Reply 11
What a levels did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yaknow
What a levels did you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im currently studying maths physics and chemistry
Reply 13
They must be incredibly challenging! What unis have you applied to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="yaknow;52242041"]They must be incredibly challenging! What unis have you applied to?

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE

Indeed they are, indeed they are. And Manchester, Bradford, Nottingham, manchester met
Original post by yaknow
They must be incredibly challenging! What unis have you applied to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed they are, indeed they are. Urm Manchester, manchester met, Bradford, Nottingham
Reply 17
What did you get in your GCSE's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yaknow
What did you get in your GCSE's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

AAA, science and maths
B, history, english lit and lang
C everything else
Reply 19
Original post by yaknow
Geography
Economics
English lit
Maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm currently doing Edexcel geog at a2 and i love it so much! It is definetly a 'marmite' subject and despite initial thoughts it is NOT easy and probably the hardest subject i have studdied throughout my two years (i studdied geog, biology english lang english lit and phychology).
If you are willing to put in work you will excell in the subject (any subject for that matter)
English lit was the one i found hardest but again if youre passionate (which i wasnt) you'll be fine but check what books you'll have to study or you might regret it
Many of my friends studdied maths, some got As some got Es so i think its a combo of ability/effort
Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest