frunzeh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I got offers from the University of Manchester and Bristol and I am struggling in choosing which uni should I make my firm. Can someone help me ?
sydneybridge
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Which subject are you applying for?

You need to look at the COURSE at each Uni because it won't be the same syllabus. Look at all the options within each offering and decide which you prefer.
If you haven't been to an Open Day, you should either plan to go on one at each place before you decide.

General advice about making choices here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices
jo_ann24
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am going through the same struggle )
I don't know which one to pick!
I have an offer at Biomedical Sciences form Manchester and Cellular and Molecular Medicine at Bristol.
Arhhhjghhh so hard! :'(
sydneybridge
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This might help : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYuG7xQbC8
NowAndThen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is it a choice dependent on the academics or is it dependent on the university and city?
jo_ann24
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by GandalfWhite)
Is it a choice dependent on the academics or is it dependent on the university and city?
Both an overall thing
NowAndThen
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by jo_ann24)
Both an overall thing
Then it becomes very personal.
jo_ann24
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Then it becomes very personal.
Ok, and if we are talking only about the academics and university facilities, quality of teaching..?
NowAndThen
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Which course?
jo_ann24
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Which course?
Biomedical Sciences at Manchester and Cellular and Molecular Medicine at Bristol
NowAndThen
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not much to choose between them. All things equal, then, personally, I would go for a smaller university, more intimate, smaller city, in a nicer environment, meaning Bristol. But, if you are a big city person, then Manchester may be more your liking.
Mi02
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello, I'm having the same problem as you, don't know which one to apply. Can I ask which one did u applied?? And why?? Thank you
rosie62
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by frunzeh)
I got offers from the University of Manchester and Bristol and I am struggling in choosing which uni should I make my firm. Can someone help me ?
Both are brilliant universities -It is worth considering what you want from the university/city you are studying in as well as the course itself? So many things need to be considered to make the right decision; such as;
-size of city?
-location in UK?

Also, sure you know, but REF recent govt review of universities subject by subject is worth looking at in relation to research excellence-it is one good way of seeing how good both universities are (research wise) for the particular course you are planning to study. What course are you considering?
Mi02
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello, I'm thinking apply Biomedical Science at Manchester or King's College London, or apply Cancer Biology and Immunology at Bristol. One of them, but I don't know which one to pick. I don't mind the location but the reputation and academic skills. Which one is more better?? Thank you
rosie62
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there, if academic reputation is important to you, then I would check out REF (research excellence framework) produced by government inspectors to asses the quality of research for each university, across specific subject areas.
If you just google REF you will find it. Just has a quick look for Kings college and they score very highly for Biomedical research

http://results.ref.ac.uk/Results/ByHei/132

Good luck!
Theodred
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi! I've recived offers from both Bristol and Manchester. I've done lots of research on my own, but it'll be awesome to hear other people's opinion, especially if you re struggling with the same thing. The courses I have to chose from are Bristol: Comp Science (meng), Comp Science with Innovation and Manchester: Artificial Intelligence+ industrial(5 yrs).
Anonymoose12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm also trying to decide between Manchester and Bristol for BSc Computer Science. Comparing the courses, I feel happy with either, it's just that Bristol has a slightly typical entry requirements than Manchester. I'm also planning to visit both for visit days/interviews next week, but I was just wondering in terms of the university and the city, which you guys prefer? Which city had better architecture (yeah, I'm into that) or more things to do? Better shopping centres? Cafes, bars, etc?
NowAndThen
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mi02)
Hello, I'm thinking apply Biomedical Science at Manchester or King's College London, or apply Cancer Biology and Immunology at Bristol. One of them, but I don't know which one to pick. I don't mind the location but the reputation and academic skills. Which one is more better?? Thank you
Kings College London ... you can have your cake ... great city ... and eat it ... not huge uni like Manchester.
Theodred
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymoose12)
I'm also trying to decide between Manchester and Bristol for BSc Computer Science. Comparing the courses, I feel happy with either, it's just that Bristol has a slightly typical entry requirements than Manchester. I'm also planning to visit both for visit days/interviews next week, but I was just wondering in terms of the university and the city, which you guys prefer? Which city had better architecture (yeah, I'm into that) or more things to do? Better shopping centres? Cafes, bars, etc?
Hey! Would you mind sharing your opinion here after your visit? I can t travel to see any of the unis myself and I would appreciate that
Samiz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm from Manchester and hopefully going to be studying at Bristol next year. Manchester is massive but it's great. To whoever asked about shopping centres, The Arndale is the main one in Manchester and is massive and always busy. A bit further away is the Trafford Centre which is a breathtaking shopping centre, the best one I've been to. Bristol has Cabot Circus which isn't as big as those but at the end of the day a shopping centre is a shopping centre.

I can't comment for Bristol but the food/clubs/bars in Manchester are great too. And the Uni is in a nice location. Also I'm not the biggest fan of buses but Manchester probably has the 2nd best tram system in the UK (after London) so I'll probably miss that when I move away.

I'm moving away from Manchester merely because I've spent 18 years of my life here and want something new. I'm looking forward the the intimacy of Bristol and, being unbiased, I did prefer the environment when I visited Bristol.

You won't go wrong with any of them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (17)
7.26%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (35)
14.96%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (40)
17.09%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.53%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (62)
26.5%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (46)
19.66%

Watched Threads