ramona.flowers
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I was wondering would I have to have taken history during my GCSE's to take up a degree in law at university? I'm really confused about how the whole A-Level system works- so if anybody is possible explain it to me than feel free...
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by chelsea.elizz)
I was wondering would I have to have taken history during my GCSE's to take up a degree in law at university?
Nope, you don't need history at GCSE to do law.

I'm really confused about how the whole A-Level system works- so if anybody is possible explain it to me than feel free...
That's quite a vast question...what in particular don't you understand?
ramona.flowers
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by usycool1)
Nope, you don't need history at GCSE to do law.

That's quite a vast question...what in particular don't you understand?
sadly I don't get any of it. For example I don't understand, how do you pick A-Levels? How many A-Levels do you need to pick? and so on and so forth...
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by chelsea.elizz)
sadly I don't get any of it. For example I don't understand, how do you pick A-Levels?
As in, how do you pick the subjects?

If it's the former, you'll need to do your research into which subjects you think you'd most like to do and which one's most appeal to you. If you have a specific course in mind that you think you'd like to do at uni after A-Levels, it'd also be a good idea to research what subjects you need for that specific course.

If you want help picking them, you could always start a new thread on TSR, saying what subjects you've picked and (if you've thought about it) what course you're considering doing at uni. There's also a whole lot more information on both picking A-Levels and A-Levels in general on this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1335691

How many A-Levels do you need to pick?
Currently, most people tend to do 4 AS Levels (the first half of A-Levels that are usually done in year 12) and then take three of the four to A2 (the second half of A-Level that is usually done in year 13; AS + A2 in a particular subject = Full A-Level). Quite a bit is changing though - have a look at the link below.

Some people may choose to do more for their own reasons but in most cases, there isn't really much advantage in choosing to do more. Universities usually base their offers on just 3 A-Levels.

and so on and so forth...
You can find a whole load of information here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_Levels

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask. :yy:
miacupcake
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Usually you pick 4 a levels. Its all changing next year for current year 11s so your school will tell you more. If you are interested in law you should have a look on some uni websites and go to entry requirements. Even if you dont want to go to that uni it will give you a rough idea of what a levels you could take. For law it should be quite a range. With a levels you do have more work and you have to be more independent so choose subjects you like and are good at. Remember gcsea arent always a marker for what you should choose at a level as you learn different things. Have a look through some a level textbooks or exam papers and see if any of the topics interest you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (255)
57.17%
I don't have everything I need (191)
42.83%

Watched Threads