orlaithx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I need to choose A-level options in a few days and I'm not really sure yet what I want to do/be when I'm older..
I currently take all three sciences, maths, english, food tech, history, philosophy and ethics and french.
I know that I won't do any sciences or food tech for a-level but I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the others subjects? (coursework load, content, level of difficulty, comparison to gcse etc.)

Also, if anyone does psychology, sociology, economics, government and politics or business studies, advice on those would be very appreciated!

(I know, my indecisiveness is awful)
mollielollipop
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by orlaithx)
I need to choose A-level options in a few days and I'm not really sure yet what I want to do/be when I'm older..
I currently take all three sciences, maths, english, food tech, history, philosophy and ethics and french.
I know that I won't do any sciences or food tech for a-level but I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the others subjects? (coursework load, content, level of difficulty, comparison to gcse etc.)

Also, if anyone does psychology, sociology, economics, government and politics or business studies, advice on those would be very appreciated!

(I know, my indecisiveness is awful)
I do psychology for GCSE currently and its my favourite subject, I find it really interesting and I plan to take it for A Level next year along with Sociology, Biology and German. If you are unsure what you want to do in the future I would suggest picking at least 2 what have been called facilitating subjects by the russel group unis and they are the more traditional subjects such as languages, maths, science etc, hope this helps
KhushBC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do Philosophy and it often depends on your board but I actually dig my Philosophy course. It's awesome.
We cover 2 units for our course - Epistemology and Philosophy of Religion.
So obviously the Philosophy of Religion is whether God exists or not and Epistemology is how we know anything exists. E.g: Is the computer you're looking at really in front of you or are you imagining it?
We don't do any coursework but there's a 3 hour exam at the end of the year. There are 2 mark questions 5 mark questions, 9 mark questions and 15 mark question but it really isn't that difficult. It's quite fun actually.
oswalds
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I do History, English Literature, Philosophy and Ethics and Psychology.

I think History is the hardest out of them all, not only the content (There is a lot to remember) but it is really heavy on the essays. I would recommend you speak to your teachers about what topics you study at your school (It changes depending on what your school wants to do), and see if that would appeal to you. We do Cold War, which is alright, and Gladstone and Disraeli, which is horrible and very dull. I found that this is a lot harder than GCSE naturally, and obviously the content was different. There has been a little overlap, for example with communism and capitalism. However, I really do like History and I'm planning on studying it at university.

English Literature is good, especially if you like the texts you are studying. We are currently studying Birdsong, Blackadder and Journey's End, all of which I am enjoying. However, if you aren't fully committed to this, it may be quite difficult. You do have to enjoy reading for this, and also analyzing texts. Some of the ideas are the same, but this is quite different to GCSE just in the depth of your analysis and the difficulty of the texts. There is also quite a bit of coursework. We are doing two pieces (On the AQA A syllabus) with 1250 words each, but there is a lot of freedom with this and we've been able to chose the title, creative writing or analytically for one etc.

Philosophy is also good, but I have found it is quite different to GCSE. But then again, my school decided to change the board we were doing. For GCSE we were with OCR and now we are with Edexcel. The content is quite interesting, especially the Philosophy side of things rather than the Ethics. It's all very interesting, but not one for you if you like to have a definite answer to things as I've heard that some people find the multiple answers for everything difficult.

Psychology is my least favourite, and the one I won't be carrying on until A2. The content isn't bad, but I find it really simple compared to the rest of my subjects and just a little too easy, so sometimes it can be boring. I've found a lot of the stuff common sense. However, a lot of it is really interesting and I wouldn't stop anyone from taking it because I do think it is really suited to some people depending on the other subjects they enjoy. I also think my dislike for it is influenced by one of the terrible teachers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (184)
38.25%
Take autumn exams (148)
30.77%
Look for a job (16)
3.33%
Consider an apprenticeship (21)
4.37%
Take a year out (84)
17.46%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (28)
5.82%

Watched Threads