Turn on thread page Beta

Why don't the AS history papers give you enough time to write? watch

ReputationRep:
    People have done it before so it must be possible. But we're given one hour and 15 minutes to answer the part a) and b) questions.

I think part a) is harder because it’s a source question – the sources aren’t exactlyeasy to read because some of it is written in old English which really does nothelp!!The teachers said to spend 25 minsbut I think I’m going to spend 35 minutes – about 10 minutes for each paragraphand just a 5minute conclusion (pretty quick at those).Then 10 minutes to actually read the sources.This leaves me 40 minutes for part b).

How did you divide your time?Also how many papers are we sitting is it 2separate ones: 1 for wars of the roses and one for Henry VIII?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.

ReputationRep:
    I get extra time for reasons other than slow handwriting- and I still can't finish the entire essays satisfactorily in time

ReputationRep:
    Part B needs way more time than Part A, as it needs more planning

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Maya331)
    People have done it before so it must be possible. But we're given one hour and 15 minutes to answer the part a) and b) questions.

I think part a) is harder because it’s a source question – the sources aren’t exactlyeasy to read because some of it is written in old English which really does nothelp!!The teachers said to spend 25 minsbut I think I’m going to spend 35 minutes – about 10 minutes for each paragraphand just a 5minute conclusion (pretty quick at those).Then 10 minutes to actually read the sources.This leaves me 40 minutes for part b).

How did you divide your time?Also how many papers are we sitting is it 2separate ones: 1 for wars of the roses and one for Henry VIII?
    AS History is so easy (189/200UMS), compared to A2 History where there are some massive essays. The source question is actually easier for me, particularly because the information is there for you. I also struggled at this period of the course;however, when you learn the content you will naturally write a lot faster.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Magnus Taylor)
    AS History is so easy (189/200UMS), compared to A2 History where there are some massive essays. The source question is actually easier for me, particularly because the information is there for you. I also struggled at this period of the course;however, when you learn the content you will naturally write a lot faster.
    Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Edminzodo)
    Any tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    1. Create a timeline of key dates for each chapter, and spend time learning them. This is because knowing the dates enables you to fully understand the context, which would allow you to make links easier
    2. Place greater emphasis on learning the content rather than exam skill. I find too many people gambling on trying to create the perfect answer to only 3 of the possible essays in the course
    3. Source questions are easy, spend sufficient time with highlighting the information. Once you have identified the right information, you merely are putting it onto paper
    4. People recommend having time to go back and check over your work at the end of the exam. Don't. Instead focus on perfecting a response with every minute possible, the marks you lose on grammar are minimal compared to a weak conclusion.
    5. Make sure on the sources question, you use the sources or else you cannot acheive the highest brackets

These tips are generic tips for AS levels, I could only help with topics that I have studied hitherto. In relation to AS, these were the cultural reformation in Europe 1500s and the Sixties Social Revolution in Britain.

Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.