Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just was looking at photos of planets and have small question that worries me.
    Why satellites around planets like Saturn circle around planet in thing ring shaped path and don’t use all space around planet?

ReputationRep:
    g?

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine it is because of the magnetic field around the planet. A satellite's orbit around a planet is always the same distance from the north pole as it is from the south pole.
    But I'm no physic's expert - just seems logical.

ReputationRep:
    Isnt strength of magnetic field around the planet the same everywhere on the same height?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whyknows)
    Isnt strength of magnetic field around the planet the same everywhere on the same height?
    Not every planet has a magnetic field anyway. I think that the rings formed at the same time as the formation of the planets. Next question: Why should the planets all lie in a plane?

Basically you have a cloud initially which collapses towards the centre under gravity, as it get smaller it rotates faster by conservation of angular momentum. This rotation causes the ball to flatten out into a disk (imagine a ball of dough which you spin round to get a pizza base). Gravity then clumps the gas and dust together until the planets (and satellites) are formed. The solar wind then removes the rest of the gas and dust.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itchynscratchy)
    Not every planet has a magnetic field anyway.
    Is it, I thought that all spinning bodies have magnetic field.

(Original post by Itchynscratchy)
    Why should the planets all lie in a plane?
    That’s a good question, why all planets around sun don’t follow ring pass like satellites around Saturn but move randomly like electrons around the core of an atom?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whyknows)
    Is it, I thought that all spinning bodies have magnetic field.
    Nope, magnetism is connected to electric currents and the intrinsic spin of electrons. Nothing to do with the actual motion of the body

That’s a good question, why all planets around sun don’t follow ring pass like satellites around Saturn but move randomly like electrons around the core of an atom?
    The question I asked I answered myself in order to answer your original question. The planets do orbit the sun in the same way as the rings orbit Saturn. I don't really understand what you are trying to say, sorry.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 16, 2006

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.