Turn on thread page Beta

Ska punk suggestions? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ello, can anyone reccommend some good ska-punk bands for me to listen to? I've only ever realy heard Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish and a bit of Sublime before, but want to get into it a bit more, so anyone got any snazzy suggestions? Cheers, Joe

ReputationRep:
    Catch 22 - Keasbey Nights is, in my opinion, unmatched in this particular genre. If you like that then try Streetlight Manifesto who have the same singer/songwriter as that album.

ReputationRep:
    Well MORE Less Than Jake obviously, because they are clearly the don, but also some of Goldfinger, Adequate 7, Captain Everything!, Madness (if you like the 80s) and I'm sure there are lots of others I'm forgetting.

NOFX have some decent ska-ish numbers as well.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely agree with Catch 22 and Streetlight Manifesto.

Also ADEQUATE 7 and SONIC BOOM SIX. <33

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Fliss*)
    Absolutely agree with Catch 22 and Streetlight Manifesto.

Also ADEQUATE 7 and SONIC BOOM SIX. <33
    SB6 :cool: although they're not exactly the dictionary definition of ska-punk

ReputationRep:
    rancid are classic

ReputationRep:
    The big bands are:
    * More Less Than Jake (they have 6 albums, I doubt you've got 'em all - assuming you've checked out Hello Rockview/Losing Streak, move onto B is for B-Sides for newer stuff or Losers, Kings... for older stuff.)
    * Capdown
    * Catch 22
    * Streetlight Manifesto
    * Operation Ivy
    * Leftover Crack
    * Mad Caddies
    * The Aquabats
    * Rx Bandits

Smaller British bands:
    * Howard's Alias
    * Lightyear
    * Adequate 7
    * Sonic Boom Six
    * Capdown
    * Captain Everything!
    * Fandangle

Did I miss any bands?

ReputationRep:
    ^^ aquabats are funny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bobbob)
    Did I miss any bands?
    Yes. Yes you did. The bands you listed were good though.

MU330 is one of the best ska bands ever. http://www.myspace.com/11056464

Not enough people know them over here, which is a shame because they wipe the floor with the likes of Less Than Jake.

I will share some more with you later, but now I have to go and do some laundry. Hoedown!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffers)
    Not enough people know them over here, which is a shame because they wipe the floor with the likes of Less Than Jake.
    Pffst, no band wipes the floor with LTJ. Their live show remains one of the best things ever.

ReputationRep:
    Mustard Plug are a brilliant ska band/ very catchy stuff
    http://www.myspace.com/mustardplug

ReputationRep:
    choking victim and lightyear are essential.

ReputationRep:
    Pffst, no band wipes the floor with LTJ. Their live show remains one of the best things ever.
    You only think that because you haven't seen MU330 live.

ReputationRep:
    I bet they don't have a spinning wheel to decide which song to play, exploding confetti and a toilet roll gun.

ReputationRep:
    Im only really into RBF, Less Than Jake and Goldfinger. But i'll check out some of these bands

Also, Reel Big Fish are THE best live act I have ever seen. Less Than Jake were good, but Reel Big Fish made the gig feel more like a party

Some of the clash songs were punk/ska. Rudie can't fail being my personel favourite.

ReputationRep:
    I second Choking Victim/Leftover Crack, Howards Alias and Lightyear. Most other ska-punk irritates me. Also Voodoo Glow Skulls. And The Slackers, though they're lots of ska and very little punk.

ReputationRep:
    I like...
    LTJ
    Mad Caddies
    King Prawn
    Lightyear
    THE SPARTANS

ReputationRep:
    I bet they don't have a spinning wheel to decide which song to play, exploding confetti and a toilet roll gun.
    No. But they do let fans up on stage, give them guitars and let them play along to the songs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffers)
    No. But they do let fans up on stage, give them guitars and let them play along to the songs.
    What about if they dont know the riff? Do they get taught it or can they just 'jam'?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.