Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Voodoo Glow Skulls

Init..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irony of Dying on Your Birthday)
    What about if they dont know the riff? Do they get taught it or can they just 'jam'?
    Noooo, the singer (Dan Potthast, a true legend) taught them the guitar part in front of the crowd and then the guy just played along.

They chose a song with a pretty simple guitar part, you know the sort of generic ska strumming. I was just one row away from being chosen.

ReputationRep:
    i just saw a wicked ska punk band today!!

they're called defiance and they have a great stage presence and audience connection. the singer uses a ukelele and this other weird instrument thing that u blow into and press the keys. i was talking to the lead singer (he thinks i am cute heehee) and asking him why his bassist used an acoustic cos the basslines were so lovely but they get drowned out and i thought that an electric would make them resonate more and he agreed and said that they've been asking him to switch to electric when playing live but he won't give in. well that was the only problem i had with them. otherwise, they were funfunnnnn. check them oot!

ReputationRep:
    It didn't happen to be Defiance, Ohio did it? They're touring the UK at the moment, play acoustic, and are wonderful. Though they're not ska punk... I'm probably entirely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ApathyAndExhaustion)
    It didn't happen to be Defiance, Ohio did it? They're touring the UK at the moment, play acoustic, and are wonderful. Though they're not ska punk... I'm probably entirely wrong.
    yupyup defiance and ohio the king blues and you me and the atom bomb. i just came back from seeing them a couple hours ago.

defiance are ska punk i swears it. ohio were just punk though and they had a bit of a folk thing going on too.

ReputationRep:
    Defiance, Ohio are the same band? They're a band named after a town in Ohio called Defiance. They are also awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the band's called Defiance, Ohio, and they're a folk-punk band from the US. They are utterly wonderful. Gonna go see them on Sunday in Leeds. I've seen The King Blues and You, Me And The Atom Bomb before too. I remember YMATAB being rather good.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the band's called Defiance, Ohio, and they're a folk-punk band from the US. They are utterly wonderful. Gonna go see them on Sunday in Leeds. I've seen The King Blues and You, Me And The Atom Bomb before too. I remember YMATAB being rather good.
    ohhhhhhhh it's "defiance, ohio" ? the flyer must've printed it out wrong then because it said "defiance + ohio the king blues". i was talking bout the king blues in my above posts then :p:

ReputationRep:
    Let's be honest with ourselves, Defiance, Ohio are way better than The King Blues

ReputationRep:
    defiance, ohio are fucking amaaaaaaaaaaazing. i'm very jealous. if anybody wants to hear more of their stuff, they put it all up for download:

http://www.archive.org/details/Defia...reatDepression
    http://www.archive.org/details/Defia...n_Split_7_-mp3
    http://www.archive.org/details/Defia..._Mice_Split_CD
    http://www.archive.org/details/Demo

'never forget, ever' is a tuuuuuuune, pretty much everything on the new album is killer, and 'share what ya got' is perfection as well.

ReputationRep:
    They're on tour in the UK for a few more days:

October 19 birmingham, UK @ market tavern (digbeth). 7:30p.

October 20 southhampton, UK @ The King Alfred Pub (Old Northam Road)

October 21 brighton, UK @ the cowley club (12 london road, brighton, BN1 4JA).

October 22 leeds, UK @ The Library pub (Woodhouse Lane)

October 23 newcastle, UK @ the Old George

October 24 edinburgh, UK @Subway (69 Cowgate)

October 25 manchester, UK @Klondyke Snooker and Bowls Club (1 Burnage Range Levenshulme)
    w/ Lake Me and Drei

Catch 'em while you can. I'm definitely at Leeds on Sunday. Can't wait. Hopefully they'll be as good as Ghost Mice were earlier this year.

ReputationRep:
    slightly off topic, but i was reminded of it by talk of YMATAB; has anybody caught the draft/samiam/YMATAB tour? apparently samiam tore london to pieces last night. the draft can't have been bad, either.

ReputationRep:
    Heading out to see them in about... two hours. Too excited. Not sure if YMATAB are supporting though, I'm sure I heard it was someone else... possibly Vanilla Pod. Ah yes, the internet seems to agree. Oooh, and Calcutecs, which has three ex-Dugong members. Should be worth a watch for sure.

ReputationRep:
    okok. i *****ed up again. the band i was talking about in my previous posts was you me and the atom bomb. the flyer didn't put the names in order so i messed up hehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dementedbunny)
    okok. i *****ed up again. the band i was talking about in my previous posts was you me and the atom bomb. the flyer didn't put the names in order so i messed up hehe.
    YMATAB are great. I've seen them a couple of times. I probably prefer Jets Vs Sharks though (YMATAB are a side-project of a few of the Jets Vs Sharks members, as is Ruin You).

Looking for info about YMATAB I found this:

SHAKE UP was recorded with much in demand UK producer PETER MILES (The King Blues, Captain Everything!, Awoken) in April 2006 during a break on tour with rising DEEP ELM RECORDS band LATTERMAN, who were so blown away by the band that they even contributed backing vocals to the album.

Amazing. I saw YMATAB supporting Latterman on that tour. Given how much i love Latterman (read: more than you can imagine) I'm excited about them getting involved with the gang vocals.

Back on the topic of Samiam - they were incredible tonight. The Draft were excellent, but Samiam were something else. They played every classic you could possibly wish for. They're up there with the best bands I've seen this year, and it's been a busy year.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, apparently the setlist for samiam was basically all the classics.

as far as support goes, a band involving 3 members of dugong can't be bad. plus if they played 'tonight this is perfect', i think i'd cry with joy.

ReputationRep:
    Alas no Dugong covers were forthcoming, gutting as I'd never managed to catch them live when they were around. Unless they played one while I was at the bar... But yeah, Calcutecs are pretty good. I can see potential.

ReputationRep:
    How were The Draft in comparison to HWM? HWM were fantastic when I saw them.

ReputationRep:
    The Draft were very good, but HWM were much better. I may be biased by the fact I adore HWM and I had given very little time to The Draft's album. And the fact I consider HWM one of the best bands I've ever seen. But yes, The Draft - the songs were enjoyable, the performance tight and energetic, and the crowd was loving it.

ReputationRep:
    The Draft were very good, but HWM were much better. I may be biased by the fact I adore HWM and I had given very little time to The Draft's album. And the fact I consider HWM one of the best bands I've ever seen. But yes, The Draft - the songs were enjoyable, the performance tight and energetic, and the crowd was loving it.
    I'll have to try and get hold of the album.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.