This discussion is closed.
Daveo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kikzen)
hohoho!

i knew doing a year in france was a good idea.
Except of course it is full of french people :rolleyes:
No offence to anyone who is french
shiny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by ThePants999)
Sure. I personally am a bad example and I shouldn't have mentioned it. But then my basic two points are that (a) you only need to earn "enough" money - enough to live comfortably on - for money no longer to be the factor limiting your happiness and (b) once you are, it's then important to have a job that provides for everything else in life. Including time and space to enjoy it!

BTW... to go from my mention of programming plus a good salary to you guys finding my profile buried in the midst of DC's site is some damned good investigative work!
It isn't too difficult. Oxford student. Degree totally unrelated to software. Intends to earn a lot of money in programming in the future. This all points to Data Connection
Kurdt Morelo
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Wal)
Why doesn't he have to pay taxes ? Living on Virgin Islands?
what? i said he doesnt have to pay income tax, because when youre the only one working in the company ie the boss you dont pay income tax because there is no income, its just profit - hence profit tax only, which is much smaller than income tax
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntrodyte)
But, realistically, if he's doing E&M at Oxford, if he wants to earn a lot, he isn't going to have much difficulty, it's an excellent course.
(Original post by shiny)
It isn't too difficult. Oxford student.
You're out of touch if you think an Oxford degree is a passport to employability. These days, when there's 50+ applicants per place for the top jobs, a 2:1 from Oxford alone means nothing. In job interviews I've had at "blue chips" in the last few months they've rarely and usually never asked about the academic side of it, since every applicant has similar grades. Instead they've asked what other things I've done - what were my main achievements in previous jobs, positions of responsibility, evidence of leadership, teamwork, initiative, innovation etc etc.

A graduate with a 2:1 from eg Sheffield, Warwick, Nottingham... who has proven qualities relevant to the job - e.g. has demontrated willingness to 'go beyond the call of duty', use their initiative to do something and basically make the best use of their time, is usually more employable than the Oxbridge graduate with a 2:1 (or even 1st) who's never had a job, dosses during the holidays, and didn't get involved in anything outside studying at uni.

In fact, Oxford's graduate employability stats aren't that impressive if you consider the 'passport to employability' belief - particularly because some tutors (this is more prevalent at the more academic colleges) are against students doing vacation work (nevermind work during termtime), are against students partaking in extracurriculars, and our Careers Service is badly publicised by the university - the annual careers fair is entirely run by students, and many outside the 'careerist' social circles have no idea about internships etc.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Kurdt Morelo)
what? i said he doesnt have to pay income tax, because when youre the only one working in the company ie the boss you dont pay income tax because there is no income, its just profit - hence profit tax only, which is much smaller than income tax
agreed with you - if you want to earn big money - you dont get employed - you employ others and you own a company. Ofcourse there are high payed positions - but these positions do not last for a long time, and are very hard to get to obviously....and yes there is big income tax if you are employed and earning a big sum of money comparing with profit tax
ThePants999
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
the annual careers fair is entirely run by students
Being on the Careers Day committee, I ought to point out here that this is with the full blessing of the Careers Service, and in fact Future Flyers is technically a student-run part of the Careers Service.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
In fact, Oxford's graduate employability stats aren't that impressive if you consider the 'passport to employability' belief - particularly because some tutors (this is more prevalent at the more academic colleges) are against students doing vacation work (nevermind work during termtime), are against students partaking in extracurriculars, and our Careers Service is badly publicised by the university - the annual careers fair is entirely run by students, and many outside the 'careerist' social circles have no idea about internships etc.
That's a good point, working during term time and in the holiday like the internships you did are excellent ways of boosting employability, so if your university is against you doing that, you're already disadvantaged.
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
You're out of touch if you think an Oxford degree is a passport to employability.
I never said that being an Oxford student alone was a passport to employability for ThePants999. Only that coupled with the fact that ThePants999 is doing a non-technology degree (which most software houses would not be happy with) and his high wage expectations (which most software companies would not be willing to pay), it wasn't too difficult to narrow down the number of companies which he had in mine for the future.
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
It isn't too difficult. Oxford student. Degree totally unrelated to software. Intends to earn a lot of money in programming in the future. This all points to Data Connection
ahem no taking all the credit thank you very much! i found the link
shiny
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by BossLady)
ahem no taking all the credit thank you very much! i found the link
Of course {steps back to let BossLady take centrestage} ...
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by shiny)
Of course {steps back to let BossLady take centrestage} ...
Well since I would have had no idea where to look had you not mentioned DC....I think we should take centrestage together
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't know how much they earn, but it sure as hell makes them full of themselves! <has been chatted up by some who very swiftly mention what they do>

Grrrrr... :mad:
Brown Patrick Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
I don't know how much they earn, but it sure as hell makes them full of themselves! <has been chatted up by some who very swiftly mention what they do>

Grrrrr... :mad:
Well I can imagine if a bachelor's on a £50k+ salary it'd be possibly their best assets they'd like to show off. They should know however that whilst people might be impressed with achievements - eg education, good well-paid job etc, it rarely makes you considered relationship fodder on its own.

Moving off the topic slightly its interesting to note this at university - union hacks date each other, as do the journalists, and musicians etc... people's credentials usually don't matter to people outside their 'circle'.
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Moving off the topic slightly its interesting to note this at university - union hacks date each other, as do the journalists, and musicians etc... people's credentials usually don't matter to people outside their 'circle'.
There's also the fact that you are more likely to spend time with people within your circle, share interests etc. So relationship more likely. Hacks seem a particulary extreme example of people who share a passion for quite an unusual activity, and will therefore be most comfortable with others who share it. Probably the same reason explains why most of the rowers at my school go out with rowers from the girls schools' near us.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yeah true. Though for hacks part of the 'job' is meeting at least 10 new 'ordinary' students every day! And at uni people always mix outside their 'primary' social circle, which here is college-based.
H&E
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Yeah true. Though for hacks part of the 'job' is meeting at least 10 new 'ordinary' students every day! And at uni people always mix outside their 'primary' social circle, which here is college-based.
The more I read about hacks, the weirder they seem...
ThePants999
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Seconded!
theECONOMIST
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by harrydone)
Could anyone tell me average starting salaries for graduate applicants whom are successful in applying to top firms such as Goldman Sachs, Merril Lynch et cetera?
This link should help.

http://www.efinancialcareers.com/art...13&xsection=17
yusufu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
this should also be useful for uk jobs:
http://workthing-d-aspen.workthing.c...eaking_pay.xml
Rock n Roll Eyes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Daveo)
Go back to living with parents? Not sure i'm keen on that idea.
If you want to make big money in dentistry you have to be a partner in a practice, then the money should be rolling in.
you guys have absoltely no clue about the real world. Have you ever actually spoken to a dentist?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (70)
47.3%
Take exams next summer (26)
17.57%
Change uni choice through clearing (34)
22.97%
Apply to uni next year instead (14)
9.46%
I'm not applying to university (4)
2.7%

Watched Threads

Latest