The Student Room Group

AQA Psychology B A2

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lavenderwhimsy
Hey! Sorry if this has already been answered :colondollar: but does anyone have predictions for Moral Development, Forensic Psychology + Substance Abuse? Hope revision is going well, I am starting to panic now lol

I did substance abuse on page 3 near the bottom.

All you need to do to make your own predictions is to make a big table of all the questions from the previous few years and see what consistently comes up and what has yet to be asked/hasn't come up for a while, it takes about 10 minutes.
Original post by tropical123
hello...I was wondering if someone could go over stress and illness with me. I'm struggling to write as essay for it.
Please that would be so helpful.
Thank you

Can you be more specific? What is the question? If you're trying to pre-plan essays then they rarely manage to get high marks as you'll tend to stick to what you've learned rather than answering the question set.
Original post by SuperCat007
Can you be more specific? What is the question? If you're trying to pre-plan essays then they rarely manage to get high marks as you'll tend to stick to what you've learned rather than answering the question set.

just over all about stress and illness.
Original post by tropical123
just over all about stress and illness.

Errr... Right... There's a fair amount, go over the textbook I'd suggest.

I mean you have the GAS which shows how the immune response can be impaired by prolonged stress.
Emotional, behavioural, cognitive and physiological effects of stress.
Transactional model of stress: how stress is perceived by different people
Then the Cohen (1991) study where 155 men and 266 women completed a PSI and half were given nasal drops with a cold virus and the other half had a placebo. Daily objective and subjective measures recorded their symptoms; those with the highest PSI scores had the most reported cases of cold. Those in the placebo group with a high PSI did not develop the cold; showing that high stress affects susceptibility to infectious disease, but does not cause it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 84
How can you pick up AO2 points? i know you can through mentioning studies, making comparisons, but what else?
Original post by maariyah97
How can you pick up AO2 points? i know you can through mentioning studies, making comparisons, but what else?

Strengths and Limitations of studies/explanations as well, but it really depends what the question is asking for in terms of AO2s.
Reply 86
Original post by Willl2697
Strengths and Limitations of studies/explanations as well, but it really depends what the question is asking for in terms of AO2s.

oh yeah thanks!
Original post by maariyah97

Not necessarily mentioning studies, often mention of them only gets AO1. You have to be able to evaluate to get AO2.

So, for example, you could state that x-psychologist (2015) found that 95% of A-level psychology students freak out right before the exam. This would be AO1. However, their method of data collection was using unstructured interview which is not a reliable method as participants may lie to please the researcher. Additionally, there was no follow up interview after the exam to find out the effect of their freak out on their exam grade. This would be 1 or 2 AO2.

AO2 doesn't have to be a contrasting point, but often the studies are laid out in such a way as to make it easier to contrast.
Reply 88
Not necessarily mentioning studies, often mention of them only gets AO1. You have to be able to evaluate to get AO2.

So, for example, you could state that x-psychologist (2015) found that 95% of A-level psychology students freak out right before the exam. This would be AO1. However, their method of data collection was using unstructured interview which is not a reliable method as participants may lie to please the researcher. Additionally, there was no follow up interview after the exam to find out the effect of their freak out on their exam grade. This would be 1 or 2 AO2.

AO2 doesn't have to be a contrasting point, but often the studies are laid out in such a way as to make it easier to contrast.

Thanks, those are good points.
I did substance abuse on page 3 near the bottom.

All you need to do to make your own predictions is to make a big table of all the questions from the previous few years and see what consistently comes up and what has yet to be asked/hasn't come up for a while, it takes about 10 minutes.

Thanks, I have already done so. I was just wondering what everyone else thought since I am home studying and can't discuss with anyone, that's all.
Thanks, I have already done so. I was just wondering what everyone else thought since I am home studying and can't discuss with anyone, that's all.

So am I. Good to find someone else who is! It's so difficult to do isn't it?!
So am I. Good to find someone else who is! It's so difficult to do isn't it?!

Yes, definitely! no extra tips and tricks from teachers lol. You're not with ICS, are you?
Yes, definitely! no extra tips and tricks from teachers lol. You're not with ICS, are you?

Yep! I never quite appreciated how much you take in just from listening to teachers, you think you forget it all but some does manage to get in there! No, I have the AQA books and found a centre that offered the exam, much cheaper!
The Unit 3 exam is on Wednesday and I am studying Forensic Psychology, Cognition and law, Social development. Does anyone have any notes for these topics? I would greatly appreciate it :smile:
What would you put for an IP essay in child cog development?

My AO1's are basically the same point in different words

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jpetrie96
The Unit 3 exam is on Wednesday and I am studying Forensic Psychology, Cognition and law, Social development. Does anyone have any notes for these topics? I would greatly appreciate it :smile:

It's not on Wednesday, it's tomorrow, which is Tuesday

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tuesday afternoon... (tomorrow!) http://store.aqa.org.uk/admin/t_table_pdf/AQA-TT-GCE-JUN15.PDF
Original post by IAmEchelon
It's not on Wednesday, it's tomorrow, which is Tuesday

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whoops of course haha, my brain is a bit scattered after an exam today I mixed up Chemistry with Psychology
Original post by IAmEchelon
What would you put for an IP essay in child cog development?

My AO1's are basically the same point in different words

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm struggling with this as well. There isn't a huge amount in the book, so I imagine if information processing came up it would be within a Vygotsky or Piaget question; i.e. compare/contrast. I just can't see how there's enough information given to make a whole 12 mark question on info processing.
Whoops of course haha, my brain is a bit scattered after an exam today I mixed up Chemistry with Psychology

I keep doing this!!!

Chemistry and Psychology are one day after the other, but in the opposite order 2 weeks running! Psychology, then chemistry this week; then chemistry and psychology next week! I'm so worried I'm going to turn up for the wrong one!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending