Urgent mean, median, mode

I have a table looking like this:

Power Output | Number
49.60 - 49.69 | 1
49.70 - 49.79 | 1
49.80 - 49.89 | 4
49.90 - 49.99 | 7

...etc.

I need to find out the mean, median and mode, but how exactly am I supposed to with values like "49.60 - 49.69"? And where exactly does frequency (number) fall into this because I know that I need to use it to find out the 3 Ms.

Ive tried splitting the ranges given into mins and max so that it looks like:

Power output |
Min | max | number
49.60 | 49.69 | 1

Etc. But I'm still confused. Help appreciated.
Reply 1
For mode, you merely give the modal class.

For mean, multiply the midpoint of each class by the frequency of that class, add up the total of those and divide by the total frequency.

For median, find which value it would be (e.g. the 8th value), find which class it is in and then estimate how far along that class it will be.
Original post by rm2
I have a table looking like this:

Power Output | Number
49.60 - 49.69 | 1
49.70 - 49.79 | 1
49.80 - 49.89 | 4
49.90 - 49.99 | 7

...etc.

I need to find out the mean, median and mode, but how exactly am I supposed to with values like "49.60 - 49.69"? And where exactly does frequency (number) fall into this because I know that I need to use it to find out the 3 Ms.

Ive tried splitting the ranges given into mins and max so that it looks like:

Power output |
Min | max | number
49.60 | 49.69 | 1

Etc. But I'm still confused. Help appreciated.

Hi there,

It's been a while since I have done this so may not be 100% correct but I'll give it my best shot

From what I remember, I believe that you have to take the midpoint of each range that you have (i.e. the midpoint of 49.60 - 49.69) and then go from there. So for the mean you would multiply frequency by the midpoint (and quite possibly in a new column for easiness), take the sum of the "frequency x midpoint" column values, then divide through by the total frequencies. so for the example above you would divide through by 13 (the sum of all of the frequencies).

I believe, but am not entirely certain, that the same principle applies to finding out the mode and the median.

Hope that helps :smile:

Spot :smile:
Reply 3
rm2
OP
Thanks guys. I know the mode is the one with the most frequency so I just stated "51.00 - 51.09" or something. Added the midpoints and divided them by the total frequency to get the mean, and for median I stated the group where the 50th frequency is (theres 100 frequencies total, and I don't know how to use the excel median function).

The question is now asking for a histogram. I've made something, which is basically a column chart (spaces between bars removed) with the power output ranges on X axis and frequency on Y axis. Is this correct? The actual method to create a proper histogram is impossible on excel.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending