The Student Room Group

Chemistry Textbooks

What's up!
So I was wondering if you people know any chemistry books which go outside the A level requirements but would still give me a solid background on specific reactions and stuff which appears in exams and would not only help me develop better answers but also put me at a better position when, hopefully, I start university next year.
I got an A at Chemistry AS and I'm predicted an A* at A2. The textbook can also have physical elements (same grade and same prediction as chemistry).
I've heard of 'Why Chemical Reactions Happen' but I'm not sure it's exactly what I'm looking for.
Suggestions?
PS I'll be studying Chemical Engineering next year.
(edited 9 years ago)
What may be useful are Oxford Chemistry Primers.
These are fairly short texts that generally cover a single topic of a undergraduate course (e.g. Magnetic Resonance, Bifunctional Compounds, Mechanisms of Organic Reactions etc). There are 95 of them, and they are generally very good, they go into a lot of detail and are very easy to read.

However, they are aimed at undergraduates, many of them for second and third year students on a pure chemistry course, so many will have a lot of theoretical background you may not understand.

For your position, perhaps "Thermodynamics of Chemical Processes" may be good, or "Foundations of Physics for Chemists" (although you may have covered a lot of the material in this second one, it's useful to frame physical ideas in the context of chemicals and chemical reactions)

Here is the link to the book series http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/nav/p/category/academic/series/chemistry/ocp.do?sortby=bookTitleAscend&thumbby_crawl=10&thumbby=all

Be very careful to read who each book is aimed at though.

Hope this is useful!
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
What's up!
So I was wondering if you people know any chemistry books which go outside the A level requirements but would still give me a solid background on specific reactions and stuff which appears in exams and would not only help me develop better answers but also put me at a better position when, hopefully, I start university next year.
I got an A at Chemistry AS and I'm predicted an A* at A2. The textbook can also have physical elements (same grade and same prediction as chemistry).
I've heard of 'Why Chemical Reactions Happen' but I'm not sure it's exactly what I'm looking for.
Suggestions?

Original post by Infraspecies
What may be useful are Oxford Chemistry Primers.
These are fairly short texts that generally cover a single topic of a undergraduate course (e.g. Magnetic Resonance, Bifunctional Compounds, Mechanisms of Organic Reactions etc). There are 95 of them, and they are generally very good, they go into a lot of detail and are very easy to read.

However, they are aimed at undergraduates, many of them for second and third year students on a pure chemistry course, so many will have a lot of theoretical background you may not understand.

For your position, perhaps "Thermodynamics of Chemical Processes" may be good, or "Foundations of Physics for Chemists" (although you may have covered a lot of the material in this second one, it's useful to frame physical ideas in the context of chemicals and chemical reactions)

Here is the link to the book series http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/nav/p/category/academic/series/chemistry/ocp.do?sortby=bookTitleAscend&thumbby_crawl=10&thumbby=all

Be very careful to read who each book is aimed at though.

Hope this is useful!

Hi sorry if this is totally off topic, can I still pick up units 1 an two of AS Chem and be ready for the summer exams or is it too late?
Original post by I'mStuckAgain
Hi sorry if this is totally off topic, can I still pick up units 1 an two of AS Chem and be ready for the summer exams or is it too late?

I don't know, I know nothing about the course administration for AS Chemistry, I finished my A-Levels several years ago.

Perhaps ask your Sixth-Form's academic co-ordinator.
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
What's up!
Suggestions?

Why Chemical Reactions Happen is genuinely a good book, although I guess it's more use to someone going on to do Chemistry. It's designed around pretty much what your saying; looking at things you meet at A-level in a deeper fashion.

Something like Chemistry3 (Burrows et al.) might be quite good - it's an undergraduate first year textbook so you obviously wouldn't want to read all of it, but it's well written and would be a useful reference for extending A level stuff.

Primers tend to be pretty good, but as Infraspecies says check the level they're aimed at! Also, they can be pretty pricey for what they are. You'd be better off buying Chemistry3 over 3+ primers.

Quick Reply

Latest