Proposal for an MGLA Watch

This discussion is closed.
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What does everyone think of creating a Model Greater London Authority as an extension to MHoC?

It would presumably reflect City Hall as MHoC reflects the Commons, with an elected Mayor and an elected assembly.

It would only concern London issues which are inevitably not examined very often in MHoC, but would otherwise generally reflect MHoC.

I feel it would add an interesting dimension to MHoC and might even attract more activity in MHoC from Londoners especially who may not be as drawn in by the broader table of national politics.

What are everyone's thoughts?
YesManF7W
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I like the sentiment but there's barely enough people to fill the roles of MPs as it is. It could work but only with a reduction of MPs which I don't think would be healthy
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by YesManF7W)
I like the sentiment but there's barely enough people to fill the roles of MPs as it is. It could work but only with a reduction of MPs which I don't think would be healthy
With 600 odd MPs IRL and 25 GLA assembly members we can expect that there will only be a fraction of MGLA assembly members compared to MHoC MPs, say around 10 AMs to MHoCs' 50 MPs.

Secondly, I don't think MHoC is as inactive as all that. There are plenty of people wanting to get involved - in the Liberals we have a waiting list for new MPs - and bringing the London element in will attract even more people to the MHoC. If a party is short of the odd representative another party can supply a temporary proxy for them as is done currently in MHoC.

I doubt we would have much difficulty finding wannabe representatives, but a good idea surely isn't worth not trying out of fear that it won't work.
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think a more London centric approach would go well to putting off several non-Londoners
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by That Bearded Man)
I think a more London centric approach would go well to putting off several non-Londoners
I'm not suggesting a more London centric approach, I'm suggesting an expansion forum to model City Hall. It wouldn't change the ethos of the main MHoC in any way, just create an additional space where people would be able to debate and legislate solely on London affairs. No-one would be 'put off' by that but it would spark the interest of many people currently uninvolved in MHoC. It can only benefit the MHoC as a whole as some of these newbies will become interested in the main MHoC as a result.
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nay.

Not enough activity to justify this.

Plus, admins and mods wouldn't allow a new forum to be made.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by nebelbon)
Nay.

Not enough activity to justify this.
This concern has been rebutted above.

Plus, admins and mods wouldn't allow a new forum to be made.
That is surely their place to say. I see no reason why they would reject an additional space in the MHoC.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Perhaps i just don't like the way the Mhoc has gone since i used to like the unrealistic aspect but with the hard left being strong here and we being unrealistic enough to have abolished the monarchy it's questionable how realistic it would be. But then again i'm not too bothered.
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I believe there is enough activity to sustain an MGLA. In UKIP we have more people waiting to be MP's than we do MP's. However, I believe a Model European Union would be more attractive to the wider user base of TSR compared to a MGLA.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
I believe there is enough activity to sustain an MGLA. In UKIP we have more people waiting to be MP's than we do MP's. However, I believe a Model European Union would be more attractive to the wider user base of TSR compared to a MGLA.
We in the Liberals too - I agree with you. The only thing with a MEU is that the MUN already caters for international politics and so it would be I think a bit superfluous. An MGLA would add an entirely new dimension and appeal to a new group of people.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
Perhaps i just don't like the way the Mhoc has gone since i used to like the unrealistic aspect but with the hard left being strong here and we being unrealistic enough to have abolished the monarchy it's questionable how realistic it would be. But then again i'm not too bothered.
I don't follow you
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't think we have the activity or interest to create another debating forum.

There have been attempts to create a House of Lords/separate parliaments before, but haven't been successful for the above reasons.

That said, if there are enough people willing to take part and support this, there's no reason why it shouldn't be done.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I doubt this would work, and that Londoners (like myself) are put off by 'the broader table of national politics'.

However the Assembly has always interested in me and there are a lot of 'London-centric' issues that could be discussed, wether there are enough people to discuss them fruitfully is another question. I doubt it'd warrant a new forum.

I could be convinced.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I live in London (surprise, surprise). The real London Assembly is an example of everything wrong with professional politicians in this country, a useless talking shop that just whinges and has done little of value. The good bits or the worthwhile scrutiny could be performed by the London Boroughs or a House of Commons select committee.

I would abolish the London Assembly.
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I live in London (surprise, surprise). The real London Assembly is an example of everything wrong with professional politicians in this country, a useless talking shop that just whinges and has done little of value. The good bits or the worthwhile scrutiny could be performed by the London Boroughs or a House of Commons select committee.

PRSOM just... PRSOM :sad:

I agree to the fullest extent of agreement, it's a useless claptrap filled to the brim with whores
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by barnetlad)

This is of no relevance at all here unless you see any reason why the MHoC would do more of value here than this MGLA.
_Charlotte15
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
This is of no relevance at all here unless you see any reason why the MHoC would do more of value here than this MGLA.

Birkenhead you ignored my thoughtful New Year's Eve msg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Blue Meltwater
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hmmmm, maybe. If there's enough members here from London or who have an interest in London politics, it could work, though I'm not convinced there is enough.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If we couldn't even get a House of Lords then a MGLA just won't work.
Birkenhead
Rep:
?
(Original post by RayApparently)
If we couldn't even get a House of Lords then a MGLA just won't work.
Rubbish. An MGLA =/= HoL for the simple reason that it would examine totally different legislation. A HoL wouldn't work because it would examine the same legislation as the HoC and require about as many people as in the HoC to be realistic, while the MGLA would require 10 people max and examine only London legislation. The MGLA would add an entirely new dimension whereas the HoL would not add anything truly new and would cause unnecessary interference with the main chamber. Completely different proposals.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (278)
15.52%
The paper was reasonable (995)
55.56%
Not feeling great about that exam... (384)
21.44%
It was TERRIBLE (134)
7.48%

Watched Threads