Flatmate and her boyfriend driving me INSANE! Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm in my second year at uni and live in a 2 bed flat, just my friend and I. I didn't make as many friends as I had hoped during first year so we decided to get a flat just the two of us. She met her boyfriend at uni last year.

Because her boyfriend goes to our uni, he lives 5 minutes down the road with his own friends. They spend every night together; at the beginning of the year they alternated between stopping at our flat and his house, but now they spend EVERY night at our flat - it's been just about a month since they last stopped at his.

He's started showering here and cooking here for himself (sometimes using MY groceries), so he's using my food AND extra energy that I pay for out of my own money (we don't get bills included because it's just the two of us). When we sit to watch a film, he'll harp on about how he hates what we're watching until i'm forced to go to my room and stream crappy quality films whilst he watches TV with the TV license I paid half of.
When he goes on a night out and gets into a state, he does not have the decency to go back to his own house; rather, he comes back to ours so I have the pleasure of hearing him slam doors, talk drunk crap or throwing up into our bathroom bin or our toilet (we only have one bathroom so it's bad luck for me if I need to go and he's being sick!).
When they are together my flatmate completely changes; all she will talk to me about is her boyfriend (and there is only so much of that I can take). Every single moment that they are together, they are play fighting, cackling or howling with laughter. I can understand that they enjoy each other's company but it really does take me to the edge of reason when all I can hear through the wall is perpetual laughter (I swear they put these laughs on, nobody can ever laugh that loud normally).

I swear I am not a miserable person! I just feel very upset that I am forced to sit and watch them fumble about and act like children 24/7, whilst also worrying about the extra water/gas he is using. I'm also quite shy and afraid of hurting people's feelings so the idea of telling my flatmate this makes me extremely nervous, seeing as she's one of the only friends I have at uni and I don't want to lose her.

What do I do? They are driving me insane!!
TurboCretin
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is there any reason to think your housemate would be unreasonable, assuming you broached the subject tactfully?
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
just be honest with her about how you feel, that you have no problem with her partner but you feel like you're being outvoted and pushed out in your own home, there's no reason for things to change massively they just need to be more sensitive that it's your flat too so A. he needs to pay his way in terms of bills + cleaning, B. you need to have 50% of the rights to various amenities, C. he shouldn't be using your food etc and D. your flatmate could do with spending an evening with you once in a while
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university offer been reduced?

Yes (19)
27.54%
No (38)
55.07%
Don't know (12)
17.39%

Watched Threads