mwu13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this question, please can anyone move me to the right place if I am at the wrong forum.

So last Friday, I was doing my volunteering in a hospital ward, I was feeding this lady who had swallowing difficulty so I had to feed her food and drink with tea spoons. She was very depressed and begged me not to leave her several times when I just wanted to go and grab some tissues to wipe her mouth.

Sometimes her speech was very slurred that I couldn't understand at all, but sometimes it was very clear that I could understand straightaway.
Whist I was feeding her, she told me "I have Parkinson's Disease, I can no longer move my arm, and I won't be able to move my whole body." which means she will become paralysed. I held her hand and could feel it trembling.

I felt really sad for her but I didn't really know what to say. I just told her that you have a family that comes to visit you frequently and the lovely staffs in this ward who can support and help you. :eek:

So I googled Parkinson's Disease after I went home, and only Wikipedia mentioned paralysis as one of the characteristics of Parkinson's. I looked on NHS choice and other websites, they all mentioned things like tremour, slow movement, rigidity, depression, swallowing difficulty etc... but NO PARALYSIS!!

So this made me very confused, I wonder if I misheard the lady or the lady had some misunderstanding on her condition?? Can any experts answer my question please?? thank you very much.
Revenged
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
symptoms depend on the stage of disease. at first it presents at slowness of voluntary movement (bradykinesia). end stage would be loss of all voluntary movement (akinesia).
mwu13
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Revenged)
symptoms depend on the stage of disease. at first it presents at slowness of voluntary movement (bradykinesia). end stage would be loss of all voluntary movement (akinesia).
Thank you so much!!
So do everyone with Parkinson's disease develop to the end stage or are there treatment or medication that can control the progression of the disease?? :confused:
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by mwu13)
Thank you so much!!
So do everyone with Parkinson's disease develop to the end stage or are there treatment or medication that can control the progression of the disease?? :confused:
There isn't a cure but generally dopamine, COMT inhibitors (which prevents dopamine degredation), MAO-B inhibitors or dopamine agonists are given. Levodopa is often given along with carbidopa and entacapone to treat parkinsons. However the patient can develop on-off side effects and dyskinesia years later as a side effect from the treatment and the treatment doesn't cure it only slows the onset.

Parkinson's is mainly a disease where you lose your dopaminergic neurons in your substantia *****, which reduces a number of pathways in your brain causing your symptoms.

Other drugs include selegiline, rasigiline, tolcapone, pramipexole, rotigotine, amantadine.

Everyone pretty much progresses to the endstage.

Other treatments include deep brain stimulation which involves inserting electrodes to stimulate the parts of the brain that have lost their dopaminergic neurons, this has really helped with the tremors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBh2LxTW0s0 Great video to watch.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (27)
14.44%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (55)
29.41%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (75)
40.11%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (25)
13.37%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.67%

Watched Threads