The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thought they were the new black?

Or is that pink is the new black?

I always forget - I do know this - they go great with a sweater vest.
The way I see it...

DanGrover
The way I see it...

Interetsing that this teaching assistant thing and the BA thing both come out on the same day - its a conspiracy....:smile:
Reply 4
mussy1234
To what extent do you agree with this?

(ref: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,24390-2404281,00.html)

A stupid ****ing article ... if the woman hadn't tried to equate taking of a veil covering your FACE with asking nuns to see their HAIR I might have read on.

As it was, I was able to confirm pretty early on that the woman is a prize ass, and save myself 3 mins or so.
I managed to get to '(unlike the Bible, eh,?)', as if mentioning Christianity is meant to win me round, or as if the feminists she mentions are likely to be seen in mass each sunday.
I don't agree with the original statement at all. While I do think that the current political climate victimises Muslims to an extent (intentionally or otherwise I leave up to you; personally I see carelessness, not malice), it is nothing compared to anti-Semitism. That's one side of the argument; the other is that there is no need for a "new Jews", because anti-Semitism is still alive and depressingly well. Indeed, it is increasing. So Jews are still the "old Jews".
I agree with the statement to an extent. I don't think any other group in the world is getting as much (pointless) stick as Islam.
*awaits flames* I have my reasons.
Reply 8
No offence to Muslims, but I think that the statement 'Muslims are the new Jews' is an insult towards Jews. I am not an historian, but I have read and studied a number of books about Jewish persecution throughout European history, and I can assure you that the European Jewish population did not go on mass protests and riots when they were criticized by the Christian majority. They also did not vandalise Churches, or murder nuns. Not to mention the fact that comparing the level of persecution faced by Jews in the past 1950AD-100AD to the level of persecution faced by Muslims in contemporary society is like comparing World War II with the Falklands War.
The Green Manalishi
I agree with the statement to an extent. I don't think any other group in the world is getting as much (pointless) stick as Islam.
*awaits flames* I have my reasons.
I'm sure you do, but the history of anti-Semitism is worse. The stick Islam is getting is pointless, childish and counter-productive, but while they share with twentieth-century Jews the status of Western Scapegoat, you must remember that Muslims are not on the recieving end of extra taxes, forced migrations, exclusion from work, bans from public buildings and amenities or coordinated programs of murder.
Reply 10
Agent Smith
I'm sure you do, but the history of anti-Semitism is worse. The stick Islam is getting is pointless, childish and counter-productive, but while they share with twentieth-century Jews the status of Western Scapegoat, you must remember that Muslims are not on the recieving end of extra taxes, forced migrations, exclusion from work, bans from public buildings and amenities or coordinated programs of murder.

That's certainly true. Also, the European Jewish population was extremely passive compared to the current Muslim population which is very active, and chaotic on some level. In addition, the Jewish population was very effective in assimilating into the wider population, unlike the trends we are seeing with Muslims today in the Western world.

In my view, the article is another example of victim mentality in the Muslim community.
Agent Smith

Of course, which is where the "to an extent" clause comes in. I do sense an underlying current of anti-muslim feeling (on this board, perhaps in some aspects of British society) but it's not yet as bad as the jews, at least in the mainstream world. Like i said, an underlying trend for which i have an idea where it'll go but i'm ambivalent about it - Sometimes there is the proverbial silver lining to sad and bad events, such is the will of God.
Reply 12
A lot of that article simply didn't make sense.

For some reason I read the whole of it.

My favourite bits include:

Imagine if Straw had said, “There are an awful lot of autistic people in my constituency. I tell them to look me right in the eye, otherwise I can’t help them.” Would there not be an outcry? I’m sorry to equate Islam with disability, but I am doing so because an observant person’s religion is as integral a part of them as their genetic make-up.

So Straw and his acolytes the self-appointed sisterhood among them are picking on the women who are most voiceless and least able to defend themselves. They should be ashamed.

:confused:
-1984-
That's certainly true. Also, the European Jewish population was extremely passive compared to the current Muslim population which is very active, and chaotic on some level. In addition, the Jewish population was very effective in assimilating into the wider population, unlike the trends we are seeing with Muslims today in the Western world.

In my view, the article is another example of victim mentality in the Muslim community.

People might disagree with you on the first bold statement.

With regards to the second, why do you think this so-called "victim mentality" exists?
Wez
A lot of that article simply didn't make sense.

For some reason I read the whole of it.

My favourite bits include:

:confused:

I understood the first bit, but didn't quite catch the entirety of the second. Possibly because i'm fairly detached from Britain and it's current affairs, which should change now... Bloody public law... :p:
TGM
Like i said, an underlying trend for which i have an idea where it'll go but i'm ambivalent about it - Sometimes there is the proverbial silver lining to sad and bad events, such is the will of God.

To expand upon this; it makes me bloody mad at times and makes my blood boil, but there's some tragic effects that can have a backhanded good effect.
Reply 16
The Green Manalishi
People might disagree with you on the first bold statement.

With regards to the second, why do you think this so-called "victim mentality" exists?

Well I cannot give a definitive answer, but I can venture a few guesses. I would conventionally say that its because of a lack of education, but I can't use education as a reason when it comes to the Muslim community, because it seems that generally with the Muslim community, the more educated they become, the more radical their views become. I think it may have something to do with the dogma in the Islamic religion, and the structure of the Islamic religion. I cannot elaborate further, simply because I am not to sure:redface: .

Please, do not reply, saying that its because they are discriminated that they have developed a victim mentality, because so were the Japanese, Jewish, Indian, Chinese and etc populations of Britain and the USA, yet now they are far more successful than the mainstream, majority white population.
-1984-

Please, do not reply, saying that its because they are discriminated that they have developed a victim mentality, because so were the Japanese, Jewish, Indian, Chinese and etc populations of Britain and the USA, yet now they are far more successful than the mainstream, majority white population.

And how much were muslims discriminated against in the '80s and '90s compared to today? And if we were to benchmark today's "reactions" or status of the muslim community today and then?

NB: Every group you stated above is a nationality except jews, which can also be a race :p:
Reply 18
The Green Manalishi
And how much were muslims discriminated against in the '80s and '90s compared to today? And if we were to benchmark today's "reactions" or status of the muslim community today and then?

NB: Every group you stated above is a nationality except jews, which can also be a race :p:

I dont understand what your trying to say there.

Well, I could rephrase and say the Buddhist, Sikh and Jewish community were also discriminated against and now they are more successful than the mainstream white population.
Reply 19
-1984-

I completley agree with this statement, historicaly jews have faced much more abhorent discrimination than polititians asking them to remove their viels. Maybe the reason that people tend to discriminate against muslims is that they do belive themselves to be a victim culture, and are very active and violent in protesting against that.

Latest

Trending

Trending