The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

GregoryJL
Whilst I usually am not adverse to a bit of american bashing, this is just crap. The approach of the americans, if anything, was to try and prevent 9/11 happening again. Their strategy for this was and is rubbish, but to claim this motivation was just a grudge is just a lie - it was to protect their citizens. The british people might have moved on, but, without being disrespectful, the numbers of people that were killed was relatively small compared to united states, and we were already at war in Iraq and Afganistan, and the state of our army means we couldn't go invade somewhere else even if we wanted to. I imagine, ironically, they are more miffed at finding out some Muslims are trying to bully people out of their free speech via violent protests and criminal activity. I imagine far more outrage was directed at MUSLIMS by us brits due to the danish cartoons than 7/7, as, whilst most people are willing to accept that not all Muslims are suicide bombers, the protests were widespread and seemed to represent the 'main stream' of Islam.

This anti-americanism does grate after a while (folks, I don't think they invaded Iraq for its oil,) and for someone presumably not wanting us to hold 'untrue sterotypes' about Muslims, it weakens your position immensely.

I have some anti american feelings -so what? i don't want them all dead.
When someone is hostile to me on an internet board i will be hostile back.

The Americans went in heavy handed, and if anything, have potentially made things worse for themselves with their whole 'war on terror' because even people who were probably on their side are moving away now
Haha, someone negged me for the Jewbacca picture. I love that picture! Here's another:

Rusty33
2) Well, like it or not, this is one of the first things that pops into an American's head when they hear the word Muslim.

And about 1/3 of these incredibly intelligent people didn't know what year 9/11 happened. Hilarious.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20078748-23109,00.html
Reply 83
Totenkopf
And about 1/3 of these incredibly intelligent people didn't know what year 9/11 happened. Hilarious.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20078748-23109,00.html

I think that's more shocking and scary, then it is hilarious.
-1984-
I think that's more shocking and scary, then it is hilarious.

:rofl:
Totenkopf
:rofl:

Its not surprising - I must admit I met a British person who thought it was in 1997!
jojo72
Its not surprising - I must admit I met a British person who thought it was in 1997!

:toofunny: Where do these people live? In caves?
Totenkopf
:toofunny: Where do these people live? In caves?

lol, in London infact (and they have access to a TV/Internet before anyone asks)

This was actually right around the time of the Sept 11th anniversary and they were showing that (crappy)dramatisation on BB2 that was split over 2 nights - so at that time you would think they would hear Sep 11 2001 over and over.
Reply 88
"48 per cent of those who did not know were between the ages of 55 and 64, and 47 per cent were older than 65, the poll shows."

:rolleyes:

Most people over 65 don't remember their own birthdays. And, how many world events like this have you seen in your life if you've been old enough to remember things since the end of World War II? It should come as no shock that 16% of the 30 just say, "I'm not sure." So, that leaves the other 14 percent, of whom were 55 or older.
-1984-
No offence to Muslims, but I think that the statement 'Muslims are the new Jews' is an insult towards Jews. I am not an historian, but I have read and studied a number of books about Jewish persecution throughout European history, and I can assure you that the European Jewish population did not go on mass protests and riots when they were criticized by the Christian majority. They also did not vandalise Churches, or murder nuns. Not to mention the fact that comparing the level of persecution faced by Jews in the past 1950AD-100AD to the level of persecution faced by Muslims in contemporary society is like comparing World War II with the Falklands War.

Perhaps if the Jews had defended themselves better, the atrocities they endured would have been prevented.

And before anyone attempts to twist around my words, that doesn't mean I think it's their fault that they suffered, because it obviously isn't.
Reply 90
Juicy Fruit
Perhaps if the Jews had defended themselves better, the atrocities they endured would have been prevented.

And before anyone attempts to twist around my words, that doesn't mean I think it's their fault that they suffered, because it obviously isn't.

Yeah, because Islam is doing a wonderful job defending itself.

Every single link is Muslim on Muslim violence. Not Muslim on Iraqi Police or American Troops. On other Mulsim civilians.
Rusty33
Yeah, because Islam is doing a wonderful job defending itself.

Every single link is Muslim on Muslim violence. Not Muslim on Iraqi Police or American Troops. On other Mulsim civilians.

You really are a fool - your argument is totally out of context.
The Muslim on Muslim link I clicked on was one from a car bomb in baghbad - relating to a civil war - hardly looking from an external context of Muslims being persecuted by the west.

Yes, and you should be quite embarassed that even 20% of people cannot remember Sept 11th's date - I suppose the same 20% hate Islam but are not quite sure why.
Reply 92
jojo72
You really are a fool - your argument is totally out of context.
The Muslim on Muslim link I clicked on was one from a car bomb in baghbad - relating to a civil war - hardly looking from an external context of Muslims being persecuted by the west.

Yes, and you should be quite embarassed that even 20% of people cannot remember Sept 11th's date - I suppose the same 20% hate Islam but are not quite sure why.

They are all car bombings, most which are in Bahgdad. Which was the point. Defending themselves, against themselves. See the point? The context is there, you just don't see it. Come on now, JoJo, step your game up.
Rusty33
They are all car bombings, most which are in Bahgdad. Which was the point. Defending themselves, against themselves. See the point? The context is there, you just don't see it. Come on now, JoJo, step your game up.

Oh yes, because there's no way a Muslim could have a problem with another Muslim - just like the Catholics and Protestants have a history of congenial tea parties together in Belfast. :rolleyes:
Reply 94
Juicy Fruit
Oh yes, because there's no way a Muslim could have a problem with another Muslim - just like the Catholics and Protestants have a history of congenial tea parties together in Belfast. :rolleyes:

Riiiiiiiight.

Except I'm not the one who said that Jews weren't defending themselves, to imply that Muslims in this day in age are.

BTW, I enjoy the irony in the fact that you're from Palestine but that you jock American rock and roll like it we're part of the Quran.
Reply 95
Juicy Fruit

Oh you're back are you? You who tried to label me a racist for some odd reason, and when asked why told me "I will message you with my basis" ...
that was about 4 months ago

Still waiting.

And if you cant see the parallel of the point Rusty makes with your odd claim that Jews should have defended themselves better (I suppose Anne Frank should have beaten the SS officers to death with her shoe?) then you need more help that I had thought.
Reply 96
jojo72
Yes, and you should be quite embarassed that even 20% of people cannot remember Sept 11th's date

Why should HE feel anything like embarassment?

Are you embarassed at the literacy rate of Muslims? Do you think Muslims should be?
Rusty33
Riiiiiiiight.

Except I'm not the one who said that Jews weren't defending themselves, to imply that Muslims in this day in age are.

BTW, I enjoy the irony in the fact that you're from Palestine but that you jock American rock and roll like it we're part of the Quran.

I was merely making an observation.

I'm not from Palestine actually. I'm from the UK, I was born here, and ethnically my mother is Irish and my father is Iraqi. Not that it has anything to do with you. And I don't like 'American rock and roll' - I like metal, and some general rock. And whilst metal did descend from 'American rock and roll', I like to make the distinction since metal is quite different from it.

And even if I was from Palestine, why would my musical preferences actually matter?
Reply 98
It is quite hard to have sympathy for someone who wants to bomb you...
Lawz-
Oh you're back are you? You who tried to label me a racist for some odd reason, and when asked why told me "I will message you with my basis" ...
that was about 4 months ago

Still waiting.

And if you cant see the parallel of the point Rusty makes with your odd claim that Jews should have defended themselves better (I suppose Anne Frank should have beaten the SS officers to death with her shoe?) then you need more help that I had thought.

I didn't claim anything, I merely suggested that it might've helped. And I'm talking about prior to the Holocaust - since Jews have apparently been persecuted since the dawn of time.

As for the first part of your post, I genuinely cannot remember that, probably because I have more important things going on in my life than you do. It's actually quite sad that you remember all that. Oh well. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending