Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Last week on a history test I got 15 out of 20 because I wasn't able to complete the last question. I got full marks on the first two questions (3 questions total), but ran out of time for the last one. During the period, I was constantly writing, and only paused once or twice for not more than half a minute. I think that the speed of my handwriting is causing me to lose marks. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can improve my handwriting speed? My teacher suggests that I write bigger and with a thicker pen (above .7), and also suggests I start writing in cursive. However my cursive is almost illegible, so I am reluctant to start using it.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    yeah I would say work hard on making your cursive legible!

ReputationRep:
    if there is a special needs teacher in your school then talk to her. my writing used to be like that too but i used to write with both hands. you may be able to get extra time

ReputationRep:
    Its not that my cursive SUCKS or anything, I said its almost illegible, so I guess that means I could start using it- but that would be a risk- I'll try it on my next test and see how it works out

ReputationRep:
    Start writing using it anyway - like in "real life". Practise at home as well, copying a passage out of a book or something. I did this when I decided to change my handwriting, and it really helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolf007)
    Its not that my cursive SUCKS or anything, I said its almost illegible, so I guess that means I could start using it- but that would be a risk- I'll try it on my next test and see how it works out
    i would still see about getting some help. if you can get extra time to compensate, or even just some exercises to improve your handwriting then it would be worth it.

ReputationRep:
    My handwriting isn't pretty, but I'm not there to give the examiners an aesthetic eye-feast. They tend to be pretty good at decyphering hand writing, as they see a lot of it.

One thing I do find in exams though, is that as I rarely hand write things (I'm not big on taking lecture notes, and everything else is word processed... basically the only time I write by hand is signing my name) I find that I get hand cramps if I have to write solidly for any amount of time. I think I need one of those little hand excercise things to bulk up my hand muscles before exam time

ReputationRep:
    oh another thing about getting help is that they may be able to let you use a laptop during the exam so that you can type insted of handwrite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolf007)
    Last week on a history test I got 15 out of 20 because I wasn't able to complete the last question. I got full marks on the first two questions (3 questions total), but ran out of time for the last one. During the period, I was constantly writing, and only paused once or twice for not more than half a minute. I think that the speed of my handwriting is causing me to lose marks. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can improve my handwriting speed? My teacher suggests that I write bigger and with a thicker pen (above .7), and also suggests I start writing in cursive. However my cursive is almost illegible, so I am reluctant to start using it.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Tell your teacher to give you more time to accomodate your slow writing speed, or threaten to write in shorthand in the next test/kick up a stink about discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    I think the only way is to start cursive, it will save so much time. I didnt use it for ages as at Primary i was in the special handwriting group. x

ReputationRep:
    Well, I cant exactly ask the IGCSE examinations board to give me more time or let me use a laptop, so I guess cursive is my only alternative. About the hand cramps thing- I'm just the opposite, I almost never type, so I find that I never get hand cramps, even during 2+ hour tests

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.