Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

First of all let me say that this is my first post and i hope its in the right are (sorry if its not).

im doing the IB in Pakistan and im in last year (DP2) and need some help with BIOLOGY practical assesments.

each practical report must be filled out in specific criterion format. eg.

eperiment 1 asks for

P1(a)
    P1(b)
    DC
    DPP
    CE

where as experiment 2 would ask for

DC
    DPP
    CE

to my knowledge;

P1(a) - Planning A
    P1(b) - Planning B
    DC - Data collection
    DP - Data Processing
    CE - Conclusion and Evaluation

now i have no idea wat all this means. supposedly some refer to readings, some to graphs, some to observations and interprations.

IM SO CONFUSED SOME1 HELP ME PLZZZZZ.

TY

Regards
    Bandar

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm in my IB but year 1. And i've come past these Pretty simple:

Pl(a) or planning a is all about the research question, hypothesis and variables of the experiment you are about to carry out. i.e. in Pl(a), you have to frame your research question and write down a hypothesis related to the research question. The variable are of 3 types: Indepedent, Dependent and controlled variable.

Pl(b) is aboout the method you're going to use for the practical, the materials you need. ( thats all i think I'll check again ).

DC- title is clear enough- its the data you collect while you do the experiment. E.g. you are observing something using a microscope, then your DC would be the diagram of what you see.

DPP would be how you manipulate the data you collected. In the example i chose, it would be about labeling the parts identifying them and all.

CE is interpreting your results. IN some experiments, like the microscope observation, there wont be much of CE, just explain what kind of cell you saw or something like that. But some other experimetns like maybe you are investigating osmosis in potato tissue, then you would have to explain why you got such and such results in this CE. Anohter major part in CE is to relate the experiment results to the hypothesis stated earlier. It could have proved the hypothesis wrong or could have proved it right, that doesnt matter. What does matter is whether the student is able to explain why his or her results match or don't match with the initial hypotheesis. that is what they look for.
    Apart from all these, errors in the experiment and also possible improvements for the experiment carried out must written in this CE.

Hope i havent confused you even more.... and hope its ok..

ReputationRep:
    wow

thnx mate.

regards
    Bandar

ReputationRep:
    no probs..
    and i just enquired..sometimes, you would be asked to include references in Pl(b).

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.