Turn on thread page Beta

I have a friend who is very worried about his height, even to the extent that he's seriously thinking of killing himself because of it. He's 5'8, but he has really bad inferiority complex and hence feels really bad if he sees anyone taller than himself.

He also has generalised anxiety disorder and is physically sick if he tries to go out (he's been basically stuck at his house now for 4 years, he's 21).

He's considered taking HGH (human growth hormone I believe it stands for), but is afraid it won't work, and it's quite expensive. We've also done some research into it, some of which suggests it wouldn't work for him, some of which suggests it would.

Basically, what I'm here to ask is does anyone know of any other methods he can try to increase his height that actually work? There are way too many scams and fake methods on the Internet unfortunately ...

Thanks so much for any help!

ReputationRep:
    If he's really that bothered about it, tell him to wear shoes with lifts in them. 5'8" really isn't that short. It'a a touch shorter than average, but not that short.

Incidentally, I believe HGH is more appropriately used for muscular bulk. I'm guessing if your friend is that worried about his height, he's an adult and has therefore stopped growing. HGH isn't going to do anything, otherwise everybody would be using it to get taller. It's a natural steroid, not a magical height formula. If he's finished growing, he's going to have to get used to his height.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly you can't take any drugs to force growth upwards and secondly 5'8" isnt short in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    He should remind himself that very few people are actually genetically perfect (if such a thing exists). Some people are stupid, some people are ugly, some people are fat, some people are skinny, some people are physically disabled, some people have weak immune systems, some people have bad skin, and some people are short.

If his biggest concern is being 2 inches shorter than the average man, then he really should count himself very lucky.

ReputationRep:
    HGH dosent work if your growth plates have fused! he will need to go to the doc and get an x-ray i believe!

HGH is not a steroid!

ReputationRep:
    He can get an operation, which I believe is not available in this country, to increase his height. I can't remember what it's called now. But, basically, it involves the "breaking" his leg bones, stretch them a bit, and let the body fill in the "gaps".

ReputationRep:
    there are loads of successful people who are not particularly tall! danny devito, dec (?! from ant and dec), ....i'm not very good with celebrities! c'mon ppl, there are loads....

it just shows u don't need to be tall to have a great life (and get hot girls)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fairycakes)
    there are loads of successful people who are not particularly tall! danny devito, dec (?! from ant and dec), ....i'm not very good with celebrities! c'mon ppl, there are loads....

it just shows u don't need to be tall to have a great life (and get hot girls)
    Danny DeVito also happens to be a multi-millionaire, and Ant & Dec aren't shy of a few bob themselves.

ReputationRep:
    5'8 is ****ing gigantic mate.

I'm 5'1.

Your friend is clearly a complete freak who needs to get a ****ing grip.

ReputationRep:
    Tsk! I'm sorry, but there are people far worse off than him. My friend's dad is 5"1, and Danny Devito is at the very best 5"0, Prince is 5"2, Kelly Jones from Stereophonics is definitely no taller than 5"4, but he is very hot and loads of girls fancy him desite his height, Seth Green (Doctor Evil's son in Austin Powers) is 5"4, even Johnny Depp is listed as 5"9 in boots, meaning he's probably only 5"8 or so, and he's just sexy as.

Your friend could have some kind of syndrome- the name of which escapes me but it's pretty well known, where you see a minor 'fault' but your mind distorts it and makes you see it as far worse than it is, causing you to become obsessed with it?
    He's about 1 inch under average height. For the record, I'm 5"0 and that puts me as 4 inches under average height at least.

ReputationRep:
    body dysmorphic disorder is what I meant!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'8, whenever I'm in uni or playing I always tend the be one of the shortest there, and it is disheartening. But I'm also in the TA and then I tend to be slightly above average in height, though the ones who are tall, are very tall.

You get used to being 5'8, there are loads of people out there shorter.

ReputationRep:
    On the plus side, the shorter you are, the easier it is to obtain a decent, muscular frame.

ReputationRep:
    Your friend clearly has a mental problem here, if it wasn't his height that was a problem it would be something else. Get him some help.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'7, and my size is awesome....

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'8 too and don't get depressed. But then again, as my dad is 6" and was my height at 17 (yes huge huge different I know) I'm fairly confident I'll grow. I was 5'4 like 2 years ago.

My dad didn't start shaving until early 20's, very late bloomer.

ReputationRep:
    5"8 is a good height and he should not need to be taller if you think about it it could br alot worst he could be 5"1 like me just tell him to like him self the way he is and enjoy life .
    life is to short to worry about things all the best hope it works out for you all

ReputationRep:
    Yup, before he knows it he'll be 30 and the problem will be 100x worse then his life will be over and he'll be gone for eternity. Maybe that will snap him out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squelchy)
    On the plus side, the shorter you are, the easier it is to obtain a decent, muscular frame.
    Isn't that down to genetics and the build of a person? I'm just a generally small build and i don't think i'll ever be huge even though i see guys much bigger than me lifting less in the gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Isn't that down to genetics and the build of a person? I'm just a generally small build and i don't think i'll ever be huge even though i see guys much bigger than me lifting less in the gym.
    Your genetics determine how easy you'll find it to gain muscle, obviously. Some people will gain much more easily than others, regardless of training and nutrition. However, pretty much every guy has the capacity to get BIG, although some guys can obviously get bigger than others, and some guys will take longer to get there.

My point is, if a 5'8" guy gains 30lbs compared to a 6'6" guy who gains 30lbs, the difference in appearance will be huge for the 5'8" guy, but much less drastic for the 6'6" guy, because that extra weight is concentrated on a shorter frame with the 5'8" guy.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 21, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.