The Student Room Group

Mature student - help needed!

Hi there,

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding my UCAS application for either 2015 or 2016 entry.

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible, when I was 18 I got part way through a course at University before quitting due to personal familial issues that have since been fully resolved.

Upon quitting, I applied to join the Marines, and during training for entry I injured my back. This required surgery which then barred me from entry, so I undertook an apprenticeship in carpentry which I have just recently completed.

Having resolved my personal issued, I feel in a good place to study a subject I love (before it's too late). I'm looking to apply to the same universities as I did previously, for the same course, either for 2015 or 2016 entry, and have a few questions regarding that. Any light anyone can shine on this would be greatly appreciated:

+ References - previous teachers or employer? Given my employer is my Dad his reference will be unavoidably biased and the university will surely pick up on that?

+ Personal statement - is it advisable to include a concise history regarding quitting university first time around/work since then etc as I did above? Or should I keep it purely academic (i.e. why I love the subject/why I.m suited to it etc)? Is there anything I should include as a mature student that I wouldn't have as a post college 18 year old?

+ I presume the University I was previously at will be ale to see that I've quit before. How much will this be taken into consideration? Will I get any opportunity to disclose the details of why I quit etc? Plus will they have access to my academic record whilst I was there (as if so, hopefully they'll see that I didn't quit due to struggling with the workload etc)?

+ Is it too late? Starting my first year at either 22 or 23, is that too late? I'm passionate about the subject I wish to study, but I do acknowledge undertaking a degree at my age could be seen as a 'folly'/undertaking study for the sake of it (certainly not true in my case, but that's nonetheless some criticism I've faced).

Thanks so much if you've waded through this far! - This all seemed so easy when I had access to various teachers' aid, but not now I'm applying 'independently'.

Thanks again.
Original post by moimoimoi
Hi there,

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding my UCAS application for either 2015 or 2016 entry.

I'll try to keep this as brief as possible, when I was 18 I got part way through a course at University before quitting due to personal familial issues that have since been fully resolved.

Upon quitting, I applied to join the Marines, and during training for entry I injured my back. This required surgery which then barred me from entry, so I undertook an apprenticeship in carpentry which I have just recently completed.

Having resolved my personal issued, I feel in a good place to study a subject I love (before it's too late). I'm looking to apply to the same universities as I did previously, for the same course, either for 2015 or 2016 entry, and have a few questions regarding that. Any light anyone can shine on this would be greatly appreciated:

+ References - previous teachers or employer? Given my employer is my Dad his reference will be unavoidably biased and the university will surely pick up on that?

+ Personal statement - is it advisable to include a concise history regarding quitting university first time around/work since then etc as I did above? Or should I keep it purely academic (i.e. why I love the subject/why I.m suited to it etc)? Is there anything I should include as a mature student that I wouldn't have as a post college 18 year old?

+ I presume the University I was previously at will be ale to see that I've quit before. How much will this be taken into consideration? Will I get any opportunity to disclose the details of why I quit etc? Plus will they have access to my academic record whilst I was there (as if so, hopefully they'll see that I didn't quit due to struggling with the workload etc)?

+ Is it too late? Starting my first year at either 22 or 23, is that too late? I'm passionate about the subject I wish to study, but I do acknowledge undertaking a degree at my age could be seen as a 'folly'/undertaking study for the sake of it (certainly not true in my case, but that's nonetheless some criticism I've faced).

Thanks so much if you've waded through this far! - This all seemed so easy when I had access to various teachers' aid, but not now I'm applying 'independently'.

Thanks again.

Hi moimoimoi,

This is definitely a good place to be starting to ask questions! From a university point of view, all admissions departments are likely to have different opinions on your situation. What I'd recommend you do is call the individual universities you wish to apply to, and ask them all your questions, particularly the one that you previously dropped out of. This way you'll know for definite what the individual universities prefer and can tailor your application accordingly.

In terms of being a mature student, again this is university dependent but speaking on behalf of Northumbria we have a lot of mature students. Bare in mind mature is anyone aged 21+ on entry, so this covers a huge spectrum of people! We have some guidance for mature students on our website, but I'd recommend going onto the university websites that you're interested in (if it's not us) and looking into what advice and support they have.

If you want any more help please just reply or DM us :smile:

Sarah
Reply 2
Original post by moimoimoi
Hi there,

Thanks again.

Your personal statement needs to be positive, and about why you want to do this new course. You can talk about previous experiences if you wish, but it should be in a way that shows why you want to study X now. It shouldn't just be a long story, or come across as an excuse.

You're not very old really. Many students start in their 20s. Yes, you're a "mature student", but you're not very much into that bracket! If you want to study then do it.

Unis won't see your previous academic record, unless you tell them. They will see that you went to uni, so this needs to be included in your education section. If you had extenuating circumstances this should be mentioned in your reference. You might want to discuss some of your previous study in your personal statement, but if so it should be "I loved Y when I previously studied, as I learnt Z, and this is why I want to go back" and focusing on the future.

If you've just finished an apprenticeship it would make most sense to have a reference from that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending