LillyAllen
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi people!
I am choosing my subjects for sxith form this week and I want to pick Psychology or Sociology.

my other A-level choices are:
-Biology
-Physics
-Chemistry

I would like to do medicine in Uni if i get good Alevel grades.
do you think Psychology or Sociology is okay?
What are the difference between them? They seem very similar to me.
also which one is more easier etc?

Please help!
thanks!
daisychain_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Psychology
Emilypickett
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing both at GCSE and I believe the content of the subjects are similar to A level. Psychology is way more interesting, I've chosen it for A level you get social psychology, cognitive psychology, developmental psychology, biological psychology, individual differences and research methods. Psychology is all about how we behave, the nature-nature debate(whether behaviour is learnt or inherited) and how the mind works.
Sociology is about our culture and how it has changed over time and what it is like. You learn about topics such as the family, media, crime and deviance, the workplace etc and learn views about sociologists such as Marxists and feminists. Sociology is still an interesting and enjoyable subject. At GCSE sociology is more writing than psychology. Apparently both are difficult at A levels and are valued by universities.
Hope this helps
ZeroName
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you like children psychology. is u like theories sociology.
inachigeek21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Psychology
Foxybo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do psychology, cos it's about the brain and how it works (and why psychos do stuff ) and makes it more relevant to medicine. Sociology is more about social behavior, which isn't as relevant. good luck
Tau
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Generally speaking, Sociology studies society whereas Psychology studies the brain. I believe Psychology links to Biology, so it may be beneficial for you to do Psychology.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (41)
18.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (63)
28.25%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (85)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.24%

Watched Threads