What is a society? Watch

william walker
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
What do people mean when they say society?

It seems to me as if it is a liberal word which has replaced culture. Unlike culture it is meaningless and includes everything within a person from hair styles, shoes, food and music.

It has also been used to debase and distort the word culture. Culture meaning cultivation of the soul. Now we have politicians and special interest groups using things Gay culture and Goth culture. Meaningless tripe.

It is language, religion and environment the basis for a nation state. This is culture.
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
a society is a territory of people that have some basic form of interaction with one another within it
so that would involve trading, communicating, etc which is involved in politics, culture and economics
william walker
Rep:
?
(Original post by zippity.doodah)
a society is a territory of people that have some basic form of interaction with one another within it
so that would involve trading, communicating, etc which is involved in politics, culture and economics
Put the entire world can do that and has been able to do so for centuries. So I am right it is a meaningless Progressive Liberal word meant to replace culture?
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by william walker)
Put the entire world can do that and has been able to do so for centuries. So I am right it is a meaningless Progressive Liberal word meant to replace culture?
who said there isn't a global society?
commercially and communicatively there is
and many cultures can exist in one society
but, again, there are many different societies within the world
in a different criteria, at least, e.g. language specificity
william walker
Rep:
?
who said there isn't a global society?
commercially and communicatively there is
and many cultures can exist in one society
but, again, there are many different societies within the world
in a different criteria, at least, e.g. language specificity
Well if their is then saying the way people do the society won't support this, or having this with society is meaningless as the people who say this mean British society. Yet if society is global they can't use society. They must use culture or the nation state.

Problem is that I have no idea what is meant by society and people keep using the word. What do they mean?

I myself use culture when talking about the nation and geopolitics when talking about regions or the world. I am using correct language and words in their proper meaning. I am very pedantic, even Peter Hitchens said I am on twitter.
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well if their is then saying the way people do the society won't support this, or having this with society is meaningless as the people who say this mean British society. Yet if society is global they can't use society. They must use culture or the nation state.

Problem is that I have no idea what is meant by society and people keep using the word. What do they mean?

I myself use culture when talking about the nation and geopolitics when talking about regions or the world. I am using correct language and words in their proper meaning. I am very pedantic, even Peter Hitchens said I am on twitter.
there is a "british society" - britain is a country, britain has a specific culture, but just because western countries today are homogenising based on uniform-technological advances, that doesn't mean we have *no* culture left. and a society is generally a multitude of specific people - there are different cultures within a given society - a society is an overall community not based on culture - a society is probably more based on geography than anything else, but within this age, borders are becoming more "invisible".
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Nah, if you were a pedant you would know the difference between 'their' and 'there'. You're just a jackass.
william walker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
Nah, if you were a pedant you would know the difference between 'their' and 'there'. You're just a jackass.
Actually you making a pointless comment like this one makes you the jackass and me a person who makes typing errors.
william walker
Rep:
?
there is a "british society" - britain is a country, britain has a specific culture, but just because western countries today are homogenising based on uniform-technological advances, that doesn't mean we have *no* culture left. and a society is generally a multitude of specific people - there are different cultures within a given society - a society is an overall community not based on culture - a society is probably more based on geography than anything else, but within this age, borders are becoming more "invisible".
What is this British society though? What is its manifestation? There is a British culture which is Protestantism, English language and environment of the British Isles, which formed the British state after the Glorious Revolution and English Bill of Rights. Britain is a nation state, not a country. A country is an economic core which expands to gain manipulation over other area's. So England is a core of London and the Home Counties which has expanded. Scotland and Ireland the same. These aren't nation state.

Going by what you are saying I am correct in thinking society is a Liberal term create to attack the idea of culture. As a society is a group of people within a subjective geographical area.
zippity.doodah
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What is this British society though? What is its manifestation? There is a British culture which is Protestantism, English language and environment of the British Isles, which formed the British state after the Glorious Revolution and English Bill of Rights. Britain is a nation state, not a country. A country is an economic core which expands to gain manipulation over other area's. So England is a core of London and the Home Counties which has expanded. Scotland and Ireland the same. These aren't nation state.

Going by what you are saying I am correct in thinking society is a Liberal term create to attack the idea of culture. As a society is a group of people within a subjective geographical area.
I guess you could boil it down to english stereotypes - english food, accents/dialects, beer/ciders, pubs, pipes, tophats, music: rock and roll, punk and 80s pop, chavs, farmlands, churches, tudor style houses, football, etc
english culture is nestled in liberal values e.g. free speech (at least until multiculturalism grovelled into our country), capitalism, etc but english culture didn't cause liberal values - many english values were supported slowly by the english/british parliament over time, but we don't have a monopoly on values like democracy, freedom etc
william walker
Rep:
?
I guess you could boil it down to english stereotypes - english food, accents/dialects, beer/ciders, pubs, pipes, tophats, music: rock and roll, punk and 80s pop, chavs, farmlands, churches, tudor style houses, football, etc
english culture is nestled in liberal values e.g. free speech (at least until multiculturalism grovelled into our country), capitalism, etc but english culture didn't cause liberal values - many english values were supported slowly by the english/british parliament over time, but we don't have a monopoly on values like democracy, freedom etc
However all those things you mentioned food, beer, pubs, pipes, top hats, music, chav's, house styles, football can all be imported to other area's based on trade. So people are mistaking choice for culture and calling it a society? The freedom Britain has comes out of the Glorious Revolution and English Bill of Rights, it comes from the governmental system and the culture which founded it. Other countries with different cultures have governmental systems which reach them same end. The problem is only the British governmental system has ever worked in Britain. Attempting to change the governmental system means government changing Britain itself against what the cultural basis for the governmental system was.

So things like conscription, disestablished of the Church of Ireland and Wales, change to abortion laws, change to marriage laws, increasing the role of the Crown powers, removal of the death penalty and selective enforcement of drug laws were no supported by the population or the culture, they were forced upon the population by Liberal governments after the Tory party was disbanded in 1834. The Tory policy on the economy was internal free trade external protectionism. So within Britain the people were freedom from the government, but if anyone attacked British subjects the British government would move to protect them. This is what was called free trade.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.28%
I used to but I don't now (18)
2.44%
No, but I want to start (276)
37.45%
No, I am unable to (177)
24.02%
No, I chose not to (205)
27.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise