Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tammie123)
ask away I'm bored

I should probably be doing work right now
Hi,

What modules do you have this year? At Brighton (2nd year MPharm as well) we don't have modules per se; we have individual case studies (12 this year) and we learn all the relevant anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, biochemistry, pharmacy practice, formulation, etc. in each case. So far this year we've covered: Asthma, Clostridium difficile Infection, Peptic Ulcer Disease, Hepatic (Liver Failure), Chlamydia Infection, and we're yet to cover: Hypertension, Women's Health, Type 2 Diabetes, Product Recall Storage, Renal Failure, Ischaemic Heart Disease, and Neurodegeneration.

Do you have any exams coming up in January?
SmaugTheTerrible
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
ask away I'm bored

How big is the jump from first year?

What were your A-level grades?

Do you definitely want to become a pharmacist after you graduate?
username1003420
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by MrDystopia)
2nd year medic here at Kings!

How you finding year 2 so far?
Really? We've probably seen each other around then Maybe with the IPE stuff. You're at guys right? I'm mostly at waterloo basically the ugliest building at kings

Well so far it's been crazy, I've had coursework almost every week, thank god for the christmas holidays this month will be completely coursework free :ahee:(except 1 but that doesn't count so I'm fussed about that). How's it going for you?

(Original post by thegodofgod)
Hi,

What modules do you have this year? At Brighton (2nd year MPharm as well) we don't have modules per se; we have individual case studies (12 this year) and we learn all the relevant anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, biochemistry, pharmacy practice, formulation, etc. in each case. So far this year we've covered: Asthma, Clostridium difficile Infection, Peptic Ulcer Disease, Hepatic (Liver Failure), Chlamydia Infection, and we're yet to cover: Hypertension, Women's Health, Type 2 Diabetes, Product Recall Storage, Renal Failure, Ischaemic Heart Disease, and Neurodegeneration.

Do you have any exams coming up in January?
That's actually a pretty cool way to learn all the diseases, we have 4 modules: formulation and analysis of drugs, nervous system, cardiovascular & renal systems and respiratory & musculoskeletal systems. So we basically learn the most common diseases and drugs used to treat them and advantages and disadvantages of each course of treatment and etc.

Luckily I don't after that intense first semester I really need this time off what about you?

(Original post by SmaugTheTerrible)
How big is the jump from first year?

What were your A-level grades?

Do you definitely want to become a pharmacist after you graduate?
Not going to lie, it's huuuge and the method of learning needed is very different and also lectures are so hard to stay awake in

I got ABB in biology, chemistry and psychology respectively.

Yep, a hospital pharmacist in particular .
plasmaman
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
ask away I'm bored

Are you scared about how competitive pharmacy is getting, job wise?
plasmaman
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Donsharukh)
pharmacy or optometry ,which is better in your opinion ,I also have fears on the pharmacy job market as many articles say it is heading towards high saturation?
I cant make any informed advice mate because Im only at sixth form. However, I reckon optometry is slightly better considering the bad press Ive seen about pharmacy, although much of that has been on this forum. Probably best to ask the OP
plasmaman
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
which course are u applying for at university? I feel I am skewed more towards that end also so who knows,i shall wait for the OP to speak lol.
Im going for radiography. I thought about pharmacy for a while but didn't want to study for 4 years plus a year pre reg if jobs were scarce. They keep opening new schools of pharmacy and the numbers aren't capped so like you say, there's more and more saturation.
username1003420
Rep:
?
(Original post by plasmaman)
Are you scared about how competitive pharmacy is getting, job wise?
Not really, according to one of my lecturers 97% of kings graduates get a job after leaving. King's also has a few hospitals which prioritise graduates from their uni so I think I'll eventually get a job but I am worried about getting the job I want (hospital pharmacist as it's a bit more competetive than community despite lower pay, but if I work hard and get at least a 2:1 I think I should be fine )

pharmacy or optometry ,which is better in your opinion ,I also have fears on the pharmacy job market as many articles say it is heading towards high saturation?
I don't really know much about optometry to answer your question unfortunately, it depends really on the field that interests you personally. Pharmacy sounds much more interesting for me personally so I went with that. That is true about what you said about the job market but if you go to a decent uni then you shouldn't have to worry about that, for kings 97% of graduates get a job for pharmacy after leaving and it's 100% for UCL. It should be similar for other good unis.
bittr n swt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Have you ever considered doing med?
username1003420
Rep:
?
so say I went to UCLAN to do a pharmacy degree or any other normal job ,what is the average chance of getting a job.what is the pre-registration process like and how many applicants are there per place?
Sorry but I'm not sure about that, I go to Kings College London, I could tell you about the pre-reg process here but I don't know about the uni you just mentioned

(Original post by bittr n swt)
Have you ever considered doing med?
Yeah, but that was mostly because of parents plus I'm squeamish so I don't think I would've lasted very long
grassntai
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Did you initially wanted to do Medicine but failed to get the grades?
bittr n swt
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How many people have you met on your course that wants to do med afterwards?
thegodofgod
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Really? We've probably seen each other around then Maybe with the IPE stuff. You're at guys right? I'm mostly at waterloo basically the ugliest building at kings

Well so far it's been crazy, I've had coursework almost every week, thank god for the christmas holidays this month will be completely coursework free :ahee:(except 1 but that doesn't count so I'm fussed about that). How's it going for you?

That's actually a pretty cool way to learn all the diseases, we have 4 modules: formulation and analysis of drugs, nervous system, cardiovascular & renal systems and respiratory & musculoskeletal systems. So we basically learn the most common diseases and drugs used to treat them and advantages and disadvantages of each course of treatment and etc.

Luckily I don't after that intense first semester I really need this time off what about you?

Not going to lie, it's huuuge and the method of learning needed is very different and also lectures are so hard to stay awake in

I got ABB in biology, chemistry and psychology respectively.

Yep, a hospital pharmacist in particular .
That's pretty cool - we're the first cohort to try out the new course structure, it used to be just like yours before.

Yeah, got a single integrated MCQ exam on the 7th January based on the cases we've covered so far (up to Chlamydia infection), from there it's straight to the exams in May/June

Nice, I'd like to go into hospital pharmacy too, but research sounds awesome as well - I'm considering asking my personal tutor whether I could work in her lab over the summer holidays - she's a cancer pharmacology researcher, two topics that I probably enjoy the most in pharmacy!

We had a case on Lung Cancer last year and all the chemotherapy regimens and their pharmacology was so awesome! :awesome:

Do you guys have many placements each year? This year we have 3 half-day clinical placements; I've had 2 of mine already: pharmacist-led anticoagulation clinic, and drug history taking at a hospital outpatient clinic, and I've got 1 more in March which is a ward round with a pre-reg. :excited:
inachigeek21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Your interests?
Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?
You're Bengali, right?
If so, hey!
I was wondering what are the prerequisites for studying a pharmacy degree?
I'm considering a degree in pharmacy as it seems hugely fascinating and it involves a huge amount of medicine.
Awesome!
Can you tell me the grade requirements, A Levels and UCAS needed for pharmacy?
In addition to this, can you provide information of what to include in a personal statement for pharmacy?
trustmeimlying1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
ask away I'm bored

Sorry but I'm not sure about that, I go to Kings College London, I could tell you about the pre-reg process here but I don't know about the uni you just mentioned

Yeah, but that was mostly because of parents plus I'm squeamish so I don't think I would've lasted very long
lets have a meetup fellow tsr regular pharmdogs
Lil08
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What is the antidote for methanol overdose?
thegodofgod
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lil08)
What is the antidote for methanol overdose?
I'm not 100% sure, but if it's the same antidote as for ethylene glycol (found in anti-freeze formulations), then it'll be ethanol; it is supposed to compete with methanol/ethylene glycol for alcohol dehydrogenase active site binding places

Learnt that from my A Level Chemistry teacher a few years ago haha!
lou 22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Could you recommend some medicine that actually works to clear my chesty cough?

You did say ask me anything
Lil08
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by thegodofgod)
I'm not 100% sure, but if it's the same antidote as for ethylene glycol (found in anti-freeze formulations), then it'll be ethanol; it is supposed to compete with methanol/ethylene glycol for alcohol dehydrogenase active site binding places

Learnt that from my A Level Chemistry teacher a few years ago haha!
Correct!

Which receptors do the BDZ work on?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (94)
38.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
11.11%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.41%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.46%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise