CassieBeatrice
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Social sciences focused or social science focused?
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends what you're saying and how you're trying to say it. Generally, "Social sciences" would be a more general umbrella term, "Social science" would be more specific. Difficult to advise on the use without knowing the context.
CassieBeatrice
Rep:
?
(Original post by Klix88)
Depends what you're saying and how you're trying to say it. Generally, "Social sciences" would be a more general umbrella term, "Social science" would be more specific. Difficult to advise on the use without knowing the context.
The word education comes after focused, if that makes it clearer. Don't want to write out the entire sentence in case of plagiarism
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I understand the problem but it doesn't really help. Are you talking about social sciences as a field, or social science as a specific subject?

The word "focused" seems to imply a need for the singular, but again, context would determine that.
CassieBeatrice
Rep:
?
I understand the problem but it doesn't really help. Are you talking about social sciences as a field, or social science as a specific subject?

The word "focused" seems to imply a need for the singular, but again, context would determine that.
When I say social sciences, I mean it as a general word for describing subjects within social sciences such as law and geography. Example: 'I used to study social sciences at school'.

The problem is that when I use 'social sciences', it sounds odd when I read it out loud.
xmarilynx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think before "focused" I would always use a singular noun, regardless of the topic eg. pet focused = focused on pets (not pets focused). I don't know the rule though, just going on what sounds right :dontknow:
CassieBeatrice
Rep:
?
(Original post by xmarilynx)
I think before "focused" I would always use a singular noun, regardless of the topic eg. pet focused = focused on pets (not pets focused). I don't know the rule though, just going on what sounds right :dontknow:
Thanks for chipping in! It's not a huge issue, just feels a bit unnecessary to send off a PS with grammar errors.
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CassieBeatrice)
When I say social sciences, I mean it as a general word for describing subjects within social sciences such as law and geography. Example: 'I used to study social sciences at school'.

The problem is that when I use 'social sciences', it sounds odd when I read it out loud.
Maybe you could try rephrasing it, so that it reads better with the version you feel is correct? In the example you give above, a different way of saying it could be "The subjects I studied at school included social sciences."

Generally, when I know I've used the right word but it doesn't feel or sound right, then it's the structure of the sentence that needs work, rather than the word which needs changing.
CassieBeatrice
Rep:
?
Maybe you could try rephrasing it, so that it reads better with the version you feel is correct? In the example you give above, a different way of saying it could be "The subjects I studied at school included social sciences."

Generally, when I know I've used the right word but it doesn't feel or sound right, then it's the structure of the sentence that needs work, rather than the word which needs changing.
I'll try that! Thank you for taking the time
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depending on the context, you may not need the phrase at all. For example, if it's just referring to the A Levels you study, then it's not necessary, because the admissions tutors will see elsewhere what subjects you are studying. Only mention it if it's not something that they couldn't infer easily from other parts of your application
Klix88
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CassieBeatrice)
I'll try that! Thank you for taking the time
No problem - good luck!
CassieBeatrice
Rep:
?
(Original post by *Interrobang*)
Depending on the context, you may not need the phrase at all. For example, if it's just referring to the A Levels you study, then it's not necessary, because the admissions tutors will see elsewhere what subjects you are studying. Only mention it if it's not something that they couldn't infer easily from other parts of your application
It doesn't have anything to do with my A-levels, the phrase above was just an example
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (274)
56.49%
I don't have everything I need (211)
43.51%

Watched Threads