How many days does it take for muscles to atrophy?

Watch
Smash Bandicoot
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I reckon about 5 days for the gains to die
Liv1204
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I read somewhere (although I cannot remember source, so this may be completely inaccurate) that diuse atrophy can actually happen within 3-5 days (whereas aerobic fitness obviously takes longer to reduce if exercise is stopped...). I guess it depends though. If you're fitter to begin with, muscle atrophy will occur more slowly, and I'd guess that some muscles will atrophy more slowly than others too.

Sort of fits my own experiences though. Muscle loss due to anorexia anyway so kinda different, but I lost strength very quickly. 7 months of no sport (and 5 months of pretty much no exercise at all, unless you include walking around shops or around London etc etc :\) (and now 3 months back into doing sport) and I am still nowhere near as strong as I should be, but aerobic fitness, stamina, speed etc I actually lost far less fitness than I expected, even on my first few sessions back after months of nothing I was a lot more comfortable training than I expected to be.

Why?
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
cardio fitness is meant to go before muscle strength I thought?

it will depend on a lot of factors, if you are losing muscle because you're both not training AND not eating (e.g. sickness) you will lose more muscle than if you just get lazy on your training... if you're generally very active when not exercising you might maintain your muscle levels quite well as you're still using them... if you've been working out for years time off will have less of an impact to if you have just upgraded from a cough potato... if you eat healthy you will probably lose less than if you drink loads of alcohol and eat junk

I don't generally notice much difference over the course of a week off, I've just taken about 12 days off for sickness and I've barely eaten in that time either, been eating about 2 days - when I went running today I noticed I tired faster than normal but the difference wasn't huge, I doubt you will lose anything significant in 5 days
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends on your diet and lifestyle

A week of no training and poor eating - loss

A week of no training but good eating - stronger/ faster/ fitter/ whatever

A fortnight would be where it starts to fall off lifestyle depending
Smash Bandicoot
Rep:
?
(Original post by Liv1204)
I read somewhere (although I cannot remember source, so this may be completely inaccurate) that diuse atrophy can actually happen within 3-5 days (whereas aerobic fitness obviously takes longer to reduce if exercise is stopped...). I guess it depends though. If you're fitter to begin with, muscle atrophy will occur more slowly, and I'd guess that some muscles will atrophy more slowly than others too.

Sort of fits my own experiences though. Muscle loss due to anorexia anyway so kinda different, but I lost strength very quickly. 7 months of no sport (and 5 months of pretty much no exercise at all, unless you include walking around shops or around London etc etc :\) (and now 3 months back into doing sport) and I am still nowhere near as strong as I should be, but aerobic fitness, stamina, speed etc I actually lost far less fitness than I expected, even on my first few sessions back after months of nothing I was a lot more comfortable training than I expected to be.

Why?
Hi again Liv

Because like you I had an ED or at least pronounced obsessions with diet (you may remember me) and in the 3-year long aftermath I have been struggling to find the right balance, my anxiety having significantly spiked since not exercising more than light walking out of necessity for a lot of university.

I have almost trolled this forum seeking to get the balance right and worrying I might obsess over it. For 2015 my goal is to get to the gym/exercise (on top of the necessary walking I mention) 2-3 times a week consistently.
Liv1204
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
Hi again Liv

Because like you I had an ED or at least pronounced obsessions with diet (you may remember me) and in the 3-year long aftermath I have been struggling to find the right balance, my anxiety having significantly spiked since not exercising more than light walking out of necessity for a lot of university.

I have almost trolled this forum seeking to get the balance right and worrying I might obsess over it. For 2015 my goal is to get to the gym/exercise (on top of the necessary walking I mention) 2-3 times a week consistently.
I do remember. I suspected that may have been why you asked, but didn't want to ask directly in case I was making assumptions!

I know this is easier said than done, but honestly try not to worry about it too much. You say you're worrying about obsessing over it, but than in itself is obsessive in a way! Personally, my advice for the exercising would be to give yourself a flexible goal. My concern would be that if you say for 2015 you need to get to the gym 2-3 times a week consistently, that has the potential to become rigid and obsessive. It is healthy to go to the gym and exercise regularly, but it is also healthy to have times when you don't go to the gym because you're busy, tired, ill, other plans etc, so make sure you don't have a goal that leaves you no room for that. I know they say SMART goals and all that, but even just a goal like 'Getting some regular weekly exercise' might be beneficial, or a goal to try a new sport that you're interested in, anything like that?

I wouldn't worry about muscle atrophy though. You're not completely inactive, you're walking places, and for most of the population it's not something they'll need to think about. Your fitness might not be as high as it would be if you were training regularly in a sport, but it doesn't need to be, and anyway it will increase if you take up a sport, go to the gym, get some exercise (and if you have a few days off, that will be fine too!)

It's trial-and-error really I think, with our histories of EDs and obsessiveness. I have different but vaguely similar concerns with exercise - for me along the lines of worrying if I don't go for a walk every day, worrying if I don't train regularly and worries about my reasons for exercising, whether it is for enjoyment or anorexia purposes. The thing I've been trying is to get some daily activity by walking even if just to get out of the house, and to train regularly because I love it, but if I am tired then I will make myself rest instead because that's what my body needs too.

Sorry for length!
bertstare
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Go any more than 2 hours 23 minutes without a 40g dose of proteinbolone and your skeletal muscle will unmercifully dissipate until you are 110lbs soaking wet
Justmate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It all depends on your training intensivity and trained muscle. If your chest,for example, was finished enough after workout- it demands even to 7 days for sole its regeneration. So your muscle is still in anabolism mode
Smash Bandicoot
Rep:
?
(Original post by doodle_333)
cardio fitness is meant to go before muscle strength I thought?

it will depend on a lot of factors, if you are losing muscle because you're both not training AND not eating (e.g. sickness) you will lose more muscle than if you just get lazy on your training... if you're generally very active when not exercising you might maintain your muscle levels quite well as you're still using them... if you've been working out for years time off will have less of an impact to if you have just upgraded from a cough potato... if you eat healthy you will probably lose less than if you drink loads of alcohol and eat junk

I don't generally notice much difference over the course of a week off, I've just taken about 12 days off for sickness and I've barely eaten in that time either, been eating about 2 days - when I went running today I noticed I tired faster than normal but the difference wasn't huge, I doubt you will lose anything significant in 5 days

(Original post by Justmate)
It all depends on your training intensivity and trained muscle. If your chest,for example, was finished enough after workout- it demands even to 7 days for sole its regeneration. So your muscle is still in anabolism mode
Thanks for the advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed