The Student Room Group

Do You Judge People By Their Grades/If They Have A Degree Etc.?

E.g. if someone had all Es at A-level, or didn't have a degree, or attended a very low-ranked uni, or did a course like Film Studies, or failed GCSE English with no extenuating circumstances, would you judge them for it?

Curious to see how much the TSR population would do so, and in what circumstances :cookie:

Scroll to see replies

Judging one by academic succession is merely to be constituted for positivity.
It's wrong in every way.
One could be failing their academics due to mental suffering aggravated by recent/past traumatic experiences - post traumatic stress disorder.
It has happened to me, although it was quite the opposite.
Mine had driven me towards academics to an further extent.
No... I don't judge people based on grades? They don't define the person. :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by inachigeek21
Judging one by academic succession is merely to be constituted for positivity.
It's wrong in every way.
One could be failing their academics due to mental suffering aggravated by recent/past traumatic experiences - post traumatic stress disorder.
It has happened to me, although it was quite the opposite.
Mine had driven me towards academics to an further extent.

Sorry to hear that :frown: :hugs: :smile:

karmacrunch
No... I don't judge people based on grades? They don't define the person.

True that, I wonder if most of TSR do though.
I judge people on where their heart seems to be... almost entirely. Doesn't matter how ostensibly smart anyone is.
The father of one of my friends has no degree and, like, one A-level and he developed a new kind of medical laser. Now he flies once a month to the States to lecture at Harvard medical school.

Go figure.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by TurboCretin
The father of one of my friends has no degree and, like, one A-level and he invented a new kind of laser therapy. Now he flies once a month to the States to lecture at Harvard medical school.

Go figure.

Mirin :cool:

How did he get there? Just start up a business after finishing school?
Original post by Morrisseya
Mirin :cool:

How did he get there? Just start up a business after finishing school?

Well, I think he worked in other areas for a few years first, but then he set up his own company to produce these lasers, yeah.
True that, I wonder if most of TSR do though.

Given the amount of STEM snobbery there is (as an example) on this site etc. I wouldn't be surprised if there are quite a few! :tongue: :redface:
As long as you're not a skrub, I don't care what your grades are.
Original post by karmacrunch
Given the amount of STEM snobbery there is (as an example) on this site etc. I wouldn't be surprised if there are quite a few! :tongue: :redface:

I know, right! :tongue: Just made this :lol:

Usually, idiots have the grades to prove they are idiots - it comes with the territory. Nice people don't need grades to be nice. Unfortunately there are many clever people with little tact, too much ego and few social skills et voila, I present the modern idiot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Atomix330
Usually, idiots have the grades to prove they are idiots - it comes with the territory. Nice people don't need grades to be nice. Unfortunately there are many clever people with little tact, too much ego and few social skills et voila, I present the modern idiot.

I agree with you there. :lol: Especially since A levels were dumbed down slightly.
No. You can be smart without being getting good grades and frankly, more than grades, that's the kind of knowledge that really matters. Street smarts and knowledge of how the world and people work and stuff. Could only get those things from experience.

Oxbridge or nothing anything else is mickey mouse!
Original post by Black Cat
Oxbridge or nothing anything else is mickey mouse!

Made you one :rofl:

Made you one :rofl:

Lol is that you schezerade?[h="1"]

Those keyboard warriors won't know what hit them. :mmm::tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only a being of juvenile naivety would demean another's intelligence by virtue of their grades having endured education themselves.

Grades are achieved by short term retention and arbitrary time management; they are by no means an adequate measure of intellect.
A person is worth a lot more than just their academic ability.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending