Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I think that lots of people think that 'all' girls dress like that because we see girls dressed as sluts on tv and in magazines etc. programs such as hollyoaks etc have really young girls dressed to go to school as though they are going clubbing.
    I think the few that do dress like that stand out fron the rest of us, and therefore, it looks like there are more of them
    .....maybe?

ReputationRep:
    And you can't cite Jodie Marsh as an example where less is more LOL
    lol you can if you're talking about like, shades of orange or how long to go before having your roots done.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=aced][QUOTE=guitargirl03]I would also like to ask why men think it's acceptable to wander the streets in the summer with no top on. If it's uncceptable for women, then why should it be any different for men? I don't really want to see a hairy chest when I'm wandering down the road. I also don't want to see any beer bellies, etc.

It's acceptable because we have the freedom to do it. I am not familiar with the laws regarding nudity, but as far as I am aware, women also have the freedom to wander the streets in the summer with no top on. (If this is not the case, then please correct me!)

I don't think it's unacceptable for women to wander around with no shirt; it's YOU who choose not to.

Noone's forcing you to wander around the streets with everything covered up; stop trying to find sympathy!
    I was actually replying to the original topic, where people have said that it's not the thing for women to walk around showing a lot of skin. I wasn't using my personal experience, I was just saying that it's unfair for people to ***** about women, yet men do the same thing, yet it's more acceptable. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitargirl03)
    I was actually replying to the original topic, where people have said that it's not the thing for women to walk around showing a lot of skin. I wasn't using my personal experience, I was just saying that it's unfair for people to ***** about women, yet men do the same thing, yet it's more acceptable. :rolleyes:
    I do see your point. However, if you're making comparisons, it's good to keep things in perspective,

eg,

A women wearing hardly any clothes at a movie premiere may get slated for being a "slut", but then again, so would a shirtless man.

In the same respect, it is normal to see men barechested in public places, eg, parks, and a women (in my experience) wouldn't get slated for being semi-nude in a park (unless it was a kiddie's play park!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aced)
    I do see your point. However, if you're making comparisons, it's good to keep things in perspective,

eg,

A women wearing hardly any clothes at a movie premiere may get slated for being a "slut", but then again, so would a shirtless man.

In the same respect, it is normal to see men barechested in public places, eg, parks, and a women (in my experience) wouldn't get slated for being semi-nude in a park (unless it was a kiddie's play park!)
    But like-for-like, if a woman went around bare chested, she would be branded a '****' etc.

Also, from experience, there are far more offensive terms used to describe women than there are for men. I mean '****', 'slut', 'whore', etc. are usually words to describe women, yet when men are called 'male-whores' it's usually used in a humourous situation.

ReputationRep:
    You can't wear a jumper in a club.

ReputationRep:
    I can't be the only girl out there who doesn't wear make-up at all.

Of course I want to look good, but I don't want to feel obliged to cover my face with powder and paint "beautiful" features on. When I have tried make-up, all I've ever seen in the mirror is someone who is trying to please the stereotype. Maybe I think she looks prettier, and I could use her face to attract plenty of guys, but the bottom line is, this painted girl is not me.

I'm not a feminist. I know that make-up makes a lot of people feel better about themselves, but it makes me angry that there is an expectation for girls to wear make-up for other people. If any guy wants me with make-up but not without then I wouldn't be missing out on much by not knowing him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jed the Humanoid)
    I can't be the only girl out there who doesn't wear make-up at all.

Of course I want to look good, but I don't want to feel obliged to cover my face with powder and paint "beautiful" features on. When I have tried make-up, all I've ever seen in the mirror is someone who is trying to please the stereotype. Maybe I think she looks prettier, and I could use her face to attract plenty of guys, but the bottom line is, this painted girl is not me.

I'm not a feminist. I know that make-up makes a lot of people feel better about themselves, but it makes me angry that there is an expectation for girls to wear make-up for other people. If any guy wants me with make-up but not without then I wouldn't be missing out on much by not knowing him.
    I used not to, but I started wearing makeup over summer and haven't looked back. I wear very little makeup - usually just concealer, a tiny bit of foundation and mascara. I don't feel like I'm changing the way I look too much. And my hair's it's natural colour too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aced)
    It's acceptable because we have the freedom to do it. I am not familiar with the laws regarding nudity, but as far as I am aware, women also have the freedom to wander the streets in the summer with no top on. (If this is not the case, then please correct me!)

I don't think it's unacceptable for women to wander around with no shirt; it's YOU who choose not to.

Noone's forcing you to wander around the streets with everything covered up; stop trying to find sympathy!
    I'd have thought a woman who walked down the street completely topless would get done for indecent exposure...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.