starglooms
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So i want to do aerospace engineering (with a focus in spacecraft hopefully) because i want to design and make spacecraft and hopefully one day go to space as a astronaut for the european space agency. (yes big dreams, quite hard to achieve i know) i'm just wondering which activities or clubs are good to do that will look good on my uni application. so basically anything to do with STEM subjects. thank you.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by starglooms)
So i want to do aerospace engineering (with a focus in spacecraft hopefully) because i want to design and make spacecraft and hopefully one day go to space as a astronaut for the european space agency. (yes big dreams, quite hard to achieve i know) i'm just wondering which activities or clubs are good to do that will look good on my uni application. so basically anything to do with STEM subjects. thank you.
When you're in Year 12, Headstart and EES (if your school offers it). When you're in Year 11, apply for an Arkwright Scholarship. Try to get Work Experience with an Engineering company - any Engineering company, you almost certainly won't be able to find work experience with a space engineering company. Read about it, Cambridge has a great reading list on their website.

One thing though - if you become an Engineer, you won't be able to go to Space. Practically all Astronauts were trained in the military. Also at least for the foreseeable future, ESA has no intentions of any exciting manned missions as far as I know.
starglooms
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chlorophile)
When you're in Year 12, Headstart and EES (if your school offers it). When you're in Year 11, apply for an Arkwright Scholarship. Try to get Work Experience with an Engineering company - any Engineering company, you almost certainly won't be able to find work experience with a space engineering company. Read about it, Cambridge has a great reading list on their website.

One thing though - if you become an Engineer, you won't be able to go to Space. Practically all Astronauts were trained in the military. Also at least for the foreseeable future, ESA has no intentions of any exciting manned missions as far as I know.
i know that most astronauts were in the military, this is because being a flight engineer is a task space companies look for, however can't i get a job as a flight engineer and not be in the military? yes i know the ESA don't but can't i always just go to the international space station? or i could move to america, work for nasa?
Jaydude
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Untrue, I study aerospace eng and a few days ago a person working for Airbus space and defence came in for a lecture. Companies like this then join forces with ESA, NASA etc, and there are exciting future manned and unmanned projects being planned/designed as I type this!

Anyway, you could apply for a sponsored summer school in engineering at a respected uni, eg personally I did it via Sutton trust. It will make your ps stand out a lot too!

Oh also I have no idea on astronauts and engineering routes into space , if that's what you meant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by starglooms)
i know that most astronauts were in the military, this is because being a flight engineer is a task space companies look for, however can't i get a job as a flight engineer and not be in the military? yes i know the ESA don't but can't i always just go to the international space station? or i could move to america, work for nasa?
My honest advice for you is don't plan to be an astronaut. Whilst I agree that it would be incredibly cool, the fact of the matter is that your chance of becoming an astronaut is significantly lower than your chance of winning the lottery. I think it'd be a much better idea pursuing a career path you think you'd be happy dedicating your life to than pursuing a career path you'd be less happy about in the vain hope that maybe it'd improve your chance of becoming an astronaut. Who knows, maybe one day you might have the chance - there have been astronauts that weren't in the military, I know that a Geologist was on one of the first space missions, but it's very rare because your physical condition is incredibly important - but you shouldn't plan for it. I think you just need to accept that dreams are dreams and you need to be a little bit more realistic.

Do you genuinely want to go into aerospace engineering? Would you be happy doing it if you knew you could never be an astronaut?

(Original post by Jaydude)
Untrue, I study aerospace eng and a few days ago a person working for Airbus space and defence came in for a lecture. Companies like this then join forces with ESA, NASA etc, and there are exciting future manned and unmanned projects being planned/designed as I type this!

Anyway, you could apply for a sponsored summer school in engineering at a respected uni, eg personally I did it via Sutton trust. It will make your ps stand out a lot too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some cool unmanned missions, I know (although they're all critically underfunded) - I visited Astrium recently, I'm guessing that's where the person who visited you came from - I didn't know of any tangible manned missions though apart from the usual maintenance of the ISS.
Jaydude
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My honest advice for you is don't plan to be an astronaut. Whilst I agree that it would be incredibly cool, the fact of the matter is that your chance of becoming an astronaut is significantly lower than your chance of winning the lottery. I think it'd be a much better idea pursuing a career path you think you'd be happy dedicating your life to than pursuing a career path you'd be less happy about in the vain hope that maybe it'd improve your chance of becoming an astronaut. Who knows, maybe one day you might have the chance - there have been astronauts that weren't in the military, I know that a Geologist was on one of the first space missions, but it's very rare because your physical condition is incredibly important - but you shouldn't plan for it. I think you just need to accept that dreams are dreams and you need to be a little bit more realistic.

Do you genuinely want to go into aerospace engineering? Would you be happy doing it if you knew you could never be an astronaut?

Some cool unmanned missions, I know (although they're all critically underfunded) - I visited Astrium recently, I'm guessing that's where the person who visited you came from - I didn't know of any tangible manned missions though apart from the usual maintenance of the ISS.
I didn't realise op wants to be an astronaut, I assumed he wanted to work in the space industry as an engineer, which makes sense to do aerospace engineering.

@ op sorry I have no knowledge on astronauts career paths, just some on aerospace, so trust chloropholles advice about astronauts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I didn't realise op wants to be an astronaut, I assumed he wanted to work in the space industry as an engineer, which makes sense to do aerospace engineering.

@ op sorry I have no knowledge on astronauts career paths, just some on aerospace, so trust chloropholles advice about astronauts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely makes sense to do aerospace engineering if you want to work in the space industry (although mechanical, electrical and particularly materials engineering are all also good options) but being an astronaut is quite different!
starglooms
Rep:
?

Oh also I have no idea on astronauts and engineering routes into space , if that's what you meant.

Posted from TSR Mobile
wow that's awesome! thanks for the advice on the engineering summer school, and it's fine you don't know anything about astronauts thanks for the info
starglooms
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Late reply: I want to be an engineer, either making spacecraft or an environmental engineer. I know that it's very hard to be an astronaut but I want to do something that someday might get me there.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.97%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (66)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (87)
37.5%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (29)
12.5%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.59%

Watched Threads