Course Content Vs University Reputation?

Watch
DPOJ
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey guys, just a quick question.

When choosing which University to go to, what is more important; the content of the course? or the reputation of the University?

I want to go to a University that is prestigious and known the world over for it's teaching excellence. However, there is a University I like that isn't very well known even within the UK but the content of the course looks really interesting. So which one is more important?
Mish Lilly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi DPOJ,

I'm not sure I have the right answer as only you can decide where to get your degree - and maybe thats the way you need to think about it - about choosing your degree and not just that people will know the name of the Uni.

I am doing a course where the content is pretty much the same everywhere, Social Work, but that's because its a professional and academic qualification. Its my University experience which makes my degree different to others though - I have been to Europe and South America on placements and completed a student development award and worked for the University.

I was inspired to come to Bournemouth because of their research and because they saw something in me which made me really want to study again.

Whatever you do, choose the right degree for you not necessarily for a future employer as you won't get the chance to do this degree again

Mish
sydneybridge
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
THE COURSE.

Because that is what you will be studying every day for the next few years, not the University. Look at the course closely - all the optional units in all years of the course and consider all the possible extras like a Year Abroad or a work placement.

Lots of advice here about making Firm & Insurance choices : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices

'Reputation' is a nebulous, 'made-up' thing. It counts for nothing out in the real world. Did you realise that the vast majority of mainstream emloyers havnt got a clue about 'pretstige' and dont look at League Tables. The only people who are obsessed about this as school-leavers.

PS. If you want an example of how nuts the idea of reputation is think about this. If in 10 years time the Uni where you did your degree has dropped off the bottom of your idea of 'prestigious' does that make your degree worthless?
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DPOJ)
Hey guys, just a quick question.

When choosing which University to go to, what is more important; the content of the course? or the reputation of the University?

I want to go to a University that is prestigious and known the world over for it's teaching excellence. However, there is a University I like that isn't very well known even within the UK but the content of the course looks really interesting. So which one is more important?
Most well known universities in the UK are known for their research, not the quality of their teaching. In some cases, the teaching is arguably lower quality in some research intensive institutions as more is done by PhD students rather than academic staff. You might also get more pastoral support at a smaller, lesser known uni.

The course content has to interest you, though- you're going to be studying it for three years and if you don't like the course, you won't do well. Doing well does rely on you to be self motivated.

You have 5 choices, so you could put this course down as one choice, and still fill the 5 others with better known universities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.8%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.34%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.66%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.69%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.26%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (42)
5.67%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (80)
10.8%
Financial worries (50)
6.75%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (46)
6.21%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.24%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (71)
9.58%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed