Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well Its hard for me to say, what would you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brasil85)
    Well Its hard for me to say, what would you do?
    Banned from doing what? Being extremists? If that's what you mean, then yes.

ReputationRep:
    Should the goverment banned all far right wing partys like the BNP but then if the goverment were to banned the BNP then it would have banned all the far left wing partys.

ReputationRep:
    He should be on the first plane back home, what he doing for this country nothing?

ReputationRep:
    Should the goverment banned all far right wing partys like the BNP but then if the goverment were to banned the BNP then it would have banned all the far left wing partys.
    Governments banning bona-fide political parties? Don't much like the idea of that. If I did, I'd live in Cuba.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Governments banning bona-fide political parties? Don't much like the idea of that. If I did, I'd live in Cuba.
    Do you live in Cuba??!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Precisely how do you propose you ban extremists?

ReputationRep:
    When I first read 'extremists' I thought you meant suicide bombers that kill 100s for their beliefs and the like. I now seem to be on the wrong train of thought with this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    Do you live in Cuba??!! :rolleyes:
    I live near. Does that count?

ReputationRep:
    I live near. Does that count?
    Yeah, s'pose.

ReputationRep:
    He should be on the first plane back home, what he doing for this country nothing?
    He? who are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    If you are talking about extremist parties then i think the answer is no. Especially when you live in a pluralist democracy which embraces freedom of speech and freedom of expression. If you ban these parties then you are taking away peoples right to association.

I think its ok to allow these parties like the BNP to exist as long as they do not gain to much power, if only to allow peoples different views to be expresed.

Also i think most people see these parties as being only minor in relation to others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woggle)

I think its ok to allow these parties like the BNP to exist as long as they do not gain to much power............
    What do you mean by that? That they should be abolished if/when they become too popular?

ReputationRep:
    If you are talking about extremist parties then i think the answer is no. Especially when you live in a pluralist democracy which embraces freedom of speech and freedom of expression. If you ban these parties then you are taking away peoples right to association.

I think its ok to allow these parties like the BNP to exist as long as they do not gain to much power, if only to allow peoples different views to be expresed.

Also i think most people see these parties as being only minor in relation to others.
    However, in what sense are we to give 'freedom of speech' to parties who are extreme, and their ideas would threaten the rights/liberties of others (i.e. black people in the BNPs case) - there whole existence and what they stand for is to go against democracy - why should we let them stand?

What are we meaning by extremist here? I assume we mean those who promote hatred of other groups of people, fundamentalist groups etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Just ban everything apart from what I believe in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    However, in what sense are we to give 'freedom of speech' to parties who are extreme, and their ideas would threaten the rights/liberties of others (i.e. black people in the BNPs case) - there whol existence and what they stand for is to go against democracy - why should we let them stand?
    While they may go against democracy, isnt banning them also going against democracy. Its a lose lose situation, whichever way you look at it, people are going to be upset about the decisions that are made.

If you let the BNP stand you get them promoting views that have racist undertones that the majority of the voters ignore. This gives them a minor voice on the political stage.

Or you can have the government ban them,which is not only undemocratic but could then lead to other extremist left or right wing parties being banned. Where would you set the limit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    However, in what sense are we to give 'freedom of speech' to parties who are extreme, and their ideas would threaten the rights/liberties of others (i.e. black people in the BNPs case) - there whole existence and what they stand for is to go against democracy - why should we let them stand?
    Because we live in a democratic country where people are free to form political parties and vote for who they choose. That's why.

If the BNP are as decrepit as most people on this forum seem to think then it really shouldn't be a problem should it?

ReputationRep:
    Because we live in a democratic country where people are free to form political parties and vote for who they choose. That's why.

If the BNP are as decrepit as most people on this forum seem to think then it really shouldn't be a problem should it?
    I fully understand we are a democratic country and democracy is a way in which the people elect their governments and the governments give people rights. The problem I have with extremist parties that, for instance may be against hispanics, well they are all very well to have that though privately but bringing it into the public world, into the political system is a different matter. We cannot not allow a party to stand whoes views/believes are against the principle of democracy.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by that? That they should be abolished if/when they become too popular?
    Not at all. I dont think that they will become too popular at all. How many people do you no who support their views?

ReputationRep:
    While they may go against democracy, isnt banning them also going against democracy. Its a lose lose situation, whichever way you look at it, people are going to be upset about the decisions that are made.
    Even if we accept your view it is a lose/lose situation, it is surely better that democracy is upheld that undermined?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.