Why has the west resurrected the racist colonial stereotype of Indian men as misogyni Watch

Shikoutazer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Why has the west resurrected the racist colonial stereotype of Indian men as misogynists and rapists at this point in history?

If you are reacting negatively to this question - please pause for a moment and read these qualifiers:

1. This was actual racist propaganda used by the British to whitewash their looting and destruction of India. They told their women at home that it was all about saving women from brown men.
What followed then was multiple rapes and massacres by British soldiers, the Bengali holocaust and economic and intellectual slavery. So, what is the reason now? Is the west upset that India is not allowing enough FDI? That we are not bending over sufficiently during geo-political negotiations?

2. For europeans and european-americans: Yes, misogyny and violence are a problem in India - just like they are in Eastern Europe or South Africa/Japan/US/UK. However, after a spate of reporting on violent crimes in India, the western media (mainstream and alternative) have used India's tragedies purely for their own entertainment. Their sensationalist and severely orientalist reporting gives western readers fodder to spew more hate or shake their heads in despair about those 'savages over there'. There are no headlines screaming 'Obviously a madman' which always follow a white terrorist's shooting spree or the discovery of yet another serial rapist murderer with several women in his basement. There's no psychoanalysis for Indian criminals. There are no genuinely insightful or helpful analyses at all. No suggestions or donations to improve law enforcement (think of it as reparations for colonial loot). Instead, we are repeatedly told - it's the culture. Like its a monolithic culture. Like (even without the historical baggage) this problem can really be explained by culture. This is not okay. Either help us or refrain from commenting. All you are doing is distracting us with white noise.

3. As an Indian-origin male living in the UK I am tired of being barely-tolerated, hated, mocked, denigrated and dehumanized constantly. So don't tell me that the question is invalid. It is a living breathing reality for me - I'm constantly fearful and vigilant, wondering whether the next person I talk to at work or pass by on the street is going to do something hateful (At work - people in positions of power over me have asked me hateful questions, on the street - drivers have skipped stop-signs to try run me over). So just please answer the question if you think you have an analysis. Else, just ignore it and carry on.
DontCallMeMongo
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Shikoutazer)
Why has the west resurrected the racist colonial stereotype of Indian men as misogynists and rapists at this point in history?

If you are reacting negatively to this question - please pause for a moment and read these qualifiers:

1. This was actual racist propaganda used by the British to whitewash their looting and destruction of India. They told their women at home that it was all about saving women from brown men.
What followed then was multiple rapes and massacres by British soldiers, the Bengali holocaust and economic and intellectual slavery. So, what is the reason now? Is the west upset that India is not allowing enough FDI? That we are not bending over sufficiently during geo-political negotiations?

2. For europeans and european-americans: Yes, misogyny and violence are a problem in India - just like they are in Eastern Europe or South Africa/Japan/US/UK. However, after a spate of reporting on violent crimes in India, the western media (mainstream and alternative) have used India's tragedies purely for their own entertainment. Their sensationalist and severely orientalist reporting gives western readers fodder to spew more hate or shake their heads in despair about those 'savages over there'. There are no headlines screaming 'Obviously a madman' which always follow a white terrorist's shooting spree or the discovery of yet another serial rapist murderer with several women in his basement. There's no psychoanalysis for Indian criminals. There are no genuinely insightful or helpful analyses at all. No suggestions or donations to improve law enforcement (think of it as reparations for colonial loot). Instead, we are repeatedly told - it's the culture. Like its a monolithic culture. Like (even without the historical baggage) this problem can really be explained by culture. This is not okay. Either help us or refrain from commenting. All you are doing is distracting us with white noise.

3. As an Indian-origin male living in the UK I am tired of being barely-tolerated, hated, mocked, denigrated and dehumanized constantly. So don't tell me that the question is invalid. It is a living breathing reality for me - I'm constantly fearful and vigilant, wondering whether the next person I talk to at work or pass by on the street is going to do something hateful (At work - people in positions of power over me have asked me hateful questions, on the street - drivers have skipped stop-signs to try run me over). So just please answer the question if you think you have an analysis. Else, just ignore it and carry on.
1) western feminists are obviously supportive of their 'sisters' around the world or whatever the ****

2) tabloids sensationalise everything. any change here?

3) white people (terrorists )who do bad things tend to do it for no discernible political reason
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Shikoutazer)

Hadn't really noticed tbh but the real story behind the 2012 Delhi gang rape (I presume this is what you're talking about cos the reaction to it started in India then went global) was that the usual thing done by the authorities in rape cases was absolutely nothing.

Blame Indians for making a fuss - if they'd swept it under the carpet as usual in rape cases it wouldn't have received worldwide attention.

welcome to the 21st century - here if you decide to do your cultural dirty laundy, you do it with a potential worldwide audience - no special opt out by playing the race/victim card I'm afraid.

PS
drivers have skipped stop-signs to try run me over
that's probably just incompetent driving tbh
Ihatehi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They think all Indians are like North Indians, which is clearly not the case.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (405)
18.62%
The paper was reasonable (1035)
47.59%
Not feeling great about that exam... (483)
22.21%
It was TERRIBLE (252)
11.59%

Watched Threads