Turn on thread page Beta

Writing a letter to uni who rejected u... watch

ReputationRep:
    hey...

i know this is a long poooost....but please bare with mee...

I was reading around and came across posts in which they talked about people who got rejected after interview and have written to that university expalining to them the loads of work experience they encountered after being unsuccessful from interview and everything, and how if possibly they could be reconsidered for a spot.

Now what I was thinking is I would like to write a letter too to the univeristy which didnt give me am offer after interview ( KINGS). I was just wondering whether i can write my work experience after the interview....after i was unsuccessful with the interview i was even more determined to do medicine...so i started volunteering at a nursing home, and as well volunteering at the local hospital in the paediatrics ward,,, with lil kids who vary from a slamm illness to intensive care ....( i am volunteering in this specific ward becuz i would like to get more experience in this area due to me wanting to become a paediatrician) and as well everyday i volunteer at an after school program working with kids ages 8 and above who have downs syndrome.
    so basically...ive gained loooooads of work experience after my interview...
    is it possible if i could write to the uni and let them know.....or will THEY think im crazy....

sorryy for the loooong post......hope i dint bore u out...but id appreciate your advice...
    thanks in advaNce
    *cat eyes*

ReputationRep:
    I have absolutely no idea if it'll make any difference, and I would guess on such a competitive course it's likely all their spots are filled - but in honesty, what have you got to lose? There's surely no harm in trying.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah their places are probably gone by now, just keep doing what you're doing and apply next year. All that work experience sounds great but it's what most applicants have before their interview.

ReputationRep:
    Catz - I replied to your post on the admissions forum, but here it is again:

It's worth updating them, but this late on in the day it probably won't get you an offer or consideration for a re-interview.

However, it's concievable that it *might* bolster your application to the top of their hold pile for clearing, and there's nothing wrong with being pro-active as long as you're not hasslet with it.

Catz - are you considering doing 'any degree' if you don't get into medicine. If you are, and for no other reason than all your friends are going to Uni in September, reconsider and contemplate taking a gap year and reapplying for 2005 entry.

ReputationRep:
    yah i guess im just going to give it a goo...and write the letter....but as you say they mite bolster my application to the top of the hold pile for clearing...

i juss have a question..those who werent successful in their interview..they are automatically put on the hold pile?

and fluffy...no im not considering to do another degree...well i was ....and got an offer from queen mary for biomedical sciences....and then i dun think im gonna acept it..for my heart nad commitment is towards medicine.....so ill just have to write a letter and see what happens.... and i really dont want to take a gap year......ive already taken half a gap year...for i fast-traked thru skool...and i have the grades n everything..but i guess it was due to my work experience....i hope tht helps me in some way or another...

do i have to wait till clearing to see of o can GET an offer...or can i TRY b4 clearing..since my results are out b4 then...

thanks
    *cat eyes*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat eyes)
    i juss have a question..those who werent successful in their interview..they are automatically put on the hold pile? thanks
    No, but it is virtually unheard of for people to get into a med school that they haven't been interviewed at. Having said that it has been done - so make sure you have your CV, UCAS form, and extra references to hand, and make sure you're int he UK and mobile - you may have to turn up for interview on clearing day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    No, but it is virtually unheard of for people to get into a med school that they haven't been interviewed at. Having said that it has been done - so make sure you have your CV, UCAS form, and extra references to hand, and make sure you're int he UK and mobile - you may have to turn up for interview on clearing day.
    im actually going for the uni tht interviewed me cuz i know trying to get into a med school now tht u werent interviewed at is even harder.......so hopefully all goes well.....
    whats a cv? is is tht clearing thing...i know it may sound dum..but wht is a CV..and my ucas form u mean my original form with my personal statemtnt..and references ill attain from my teachers or people i know at the hospital where im volunteering at...

ReputationRep:
    it might be a bit late already, but i got a place by asking the university to reconsider my application. Maybe abit different for me because they look at my average in overall, which, compared to british grades had to be a B, and I had a C, but it was because my mother tongue is not english and I barely passed in my mother tongue.

ReputationRep:
    I would say there is no harm in trying - slightly different but my friend was in a similar situation last year although she wanted to do vet medicine. She also had a problem because she did two sciences and history at A-Level (she also had latin AS) and only about 3 out of the 6 vet.courses accept only 2 sciences in their application. So she did in the end get turned down by all three that she applied to, despite attending interviews etc. And so decided she was going to have to take a year out and possibly apply for biochemistry or similar instead before progressing to vet. that route.

Results came and she got her 3 A's (shes annoyingly clever) so was happy - then about a week later out of the blue she recieved a phonecall from the Royal Vet College in London offering her a place in 2004 if she completed only 2 weeks Work experience on a farm before November 2003.

Obviously she accepted and as far as we could find out, one teacher had rung up and pointed out to the Royal vet. that she had achieved good grades and that she deserved a place etc.

So why not write to them - you havent got anything to lose but theres always the possibility you may gain. You might not have a choice about taking a gap year mind you - but if say in the letter that you would intend to gain even more experience in a year out it would definately show dedication, after all they want to take students who they know will stay the course.

ReputationRep:
    just go 4 it!!
    as far as i am concerned, not all students who recieved Kings' offer will actually go there. one of my fri got 3 medi offers, including Kings. and she's going to UCL....so there must be some space left....u have nothing to lose

ReputationRep:
    omg thanks every1 for your advice.....its really been great...

sipris-u got a place in medicine after re-considering ur application?? and im an international too...living in north america....tehy took ur overall?? by references from teachers.

toto- i guess ur rite....becuz at the end not every1 is going to be accepting their KINGS offer so there must be some kinda chance....

now i feel as if my determination has risen a bit...i feel more focused gettin all this advice...welll im juss gonna write a letter and explain my situation ...
    with me luccck ppl.......

thanks again...
    *cat eyeS*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toto)
    just go 4 it!!
    as far as i am concerned, not all students who recieved Kings' offer will actually go there. one of my fri got 3 medi offers, including Kings. and she's going to UCL....so there must be some space left....u have nothing to lose

But remember, medical schools offer around 3 times the places they have for this very reason. ie Barts and The London made over 900 offers last year for 250 places.... Needless to say they didn't enter clearing.

Catz - give it your best shot, but don't get your hopes up too much. I really hope it works out for you, and would hate for you to feel kicked in the teeth again.

I got 4 rejections for medicine last year. This year I had my first offer in the first week in November - i.e very early.

ReputationRep:
    I don't wanna be mean or anything, but I'd say ppl who didn't meet their conditions after getting an offer will have a bigger chances(if any) at getting in than those not getting an offer at all...
    But try it for sure, good luck...can't mess up anything

errr... A CV = cirruculum vitae .. biography, resume...

ReputationRep:
    Haven't read the posts that preceeded this one, but I wrote a letter after being rejected for law at Durham after being predicted AAA. It turned out that the reason I was rejected was because I'd put on my UCAS form that I intended to live at home (I was still recovering from illness).

I was then accepted, by Van Mildert (but ended up not taking the offer much to the dissatisfaction of the principal :P).

ReputationRep:
    definately write a letter! my friend wrote to bristol and got offered a place for a different course in stead!
    i wasnt so lucky - warwick never got back to me and bristol just fobbed me off with a rubbish excuse with high applications and stuff - pah

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.