The Student Room Group

IT Consultancy - Please help

I am a sixth form student studying AS levels in Computing, Literature, Biology and Psychology. A mix I know, but my choices are already made. My intended career path is in the general direction of IT Consultancy, and I would like some careers advice. The degree I'm currently looking at is ITMB (IT for Business Management).

My questions may sound stupid, so please do bear with me. Firstly, how do I become a consultant? I've tried looking online and there's no clear path. Is the degree I'm doing relevant? Is it possible to become a consultant with no previous experience? My first year out of uni what would I do? Should I do a year in placement during my third year of uni?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by CarpeDiemJay

My questions may sound stupid, so please do bear with me. Firstly, how do I become a consultant? I've tried looking online and there's no clear path. Is the degree I'm doing relevant? Is it possible to become a consultant with no previous experience? My first year out of uni what would I do? Should I do a year in placement during my third year of uni?

You have 2 basic routes into consultancy:

1. Graduate scheme with a big consultancy - Cap gemini, Deliotte etc. These will typically be much more focused on the business side of IT rather than the in-depth technical aspects. Very hard to get onto, a huge amount of work required in the first few years. Alot of people burn out and drop out but it is the quickest way into consultancy.

2. Gain experience through support/development roles and then move into consultancy. This is the easiest way as you can literally start right from uni in a 1st line role, move onto 2nd line support and then onto projects/development before transferring to consultancy.

Your degree is much more relevant for the 1st route than the 2nd. Once you've got a few years worth of It experience (ie: the 2nd route) noone really cares about your degree anymore.

If you can find a year's placement then you should absoloutly do it. IT very very strongly values experience.

Feel free to quote me for any other questions.
Original post by Reue
You have 2 basic routes into consultancy:

1. Graduate scheme with a big consultancy - Cap gemini, Deliotte etc. These will typically be much more focused on the business side of IT rather than the in-depth technical aspects. Very hard to get onto, a huge amount of work required in the first few years. Alot of people burn out and drop out but it is the quickest way into consultancy.

2. Gain experience through support/development roles and then move into consultancy. This is the easiest way as you can literally start right from uni in a 1st line role, move onto 2nd line support and then onto projects/development before transferring to consultancy.

Your degree is much more relevant for the 1st route than the 2nd. Once you've got a few years worth of It experience (ie: the 2nd route) noone really cares about your degree anymore.

If you can find a year's placement then you should absoloutly do it. IT very very strongly values experience.

Feel free to quote me for any other questions.

I am interested in the first path you mentioned. Call me naive, but the thought of working for a huge company like that excites me, even if it means more stress.

How would I go about getting into a graduate scheme like that? Is it only a realistic option for people getting the top grades?
Reply 3
Original post by Jalal Uddin
How would I go about getting into a graduate scheme like that? Is it only a realistic option for people getting the top grades?

Competition is likely to be extremely tough. Most require at least a 2.1, A/B A-Levels, Relevant work experience and a strong CV to support.

To give you an idea of the sort of grades and person they're after; I have a friend who was accepted on one of these graduate schemes with a big london consultancy. He eventually decided it wasnt for him and so instead is now working in America as a rocket scientist and gives TED talks.

Also: It is still possible to get into the big companies via the 2nd path too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Reue
Competition is likely to be extremely tough. Most require at least a 2.1, A/B A-Levels, Relevant work experience and a strong CV to support.

To give you an idea of the sort of grades and person they're after; I have a friend who was accepted on one of these graduate schemes with a big london consultancy. He eventually decided it wasnt for him and so instead is now working in America as a rocket scientist and gives TED talks.

Also: It is still possible to get into the big companies via the 2nd path too.

Aah. Second route seems much more appropriate for me. So what would be my plan of action? What kind of jobs would I then apply for? If I'm asked to write down what I want to be, what would my reply be?

Apologies for the barrage of questions, I've always got so many questions about this and no one to answer them.
Reply 5
Aah. Second route seems much more appropriate for me. So what would be my plan of action? What kind of jobs would I then apply for? If I'm asked to write down what I want to be, what would my reply be?

Personally I'm pretty against Uni as a route into IT for anything other than coders/developers. In my last team there was a 26yr old and 23yr old doing the exact same job on the same pay.. only the 26yr old had gone to uni and thus lost 3 years of his life and experience gaining time.

If you do want to go to uni though; go for it.

First role would likely be 1st line helpdesk support. Alot of graduates turn their noses up at this but it is the easiest and best way to get into a company and IT in general. Think of it as a short term placement. You should expect to be doing it for about a year before moving onto a 2nd line support role.

Do 2nd like support for a few years and then either move onto 3rd-line/projects or straight into consultancy depending on the consultancy area focus.

It took me just under 5 years from first ever IT job to becoming an IT Consultant. Could have done it in under 4 years but didnt have a driving licence back then :wink:

Apologies for the barrage of questions, I've always got so many questions about this and no one to answer them.

No problem :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending